I am not sure if VR is for me

Discussion in 'VR & Head-Mounted Displays' started by ng4ever, Mar 31, 2019.

1. ng4ever

ng4ever Flaccid 4Evar

I don't feel like watching a movie is immerse enough. I am using the default player like media viewer.

Any way to change this ?

2. tangoseal

tangoseal [H]ardness Supreme

Context please?

criccio likes this.
  3. Youn

Youn [H]ardness Supreme

sit in a tub of warm baked beans to increase immersion

4. N4CR

N4CR 2[H]4U

Use real player or watch in Netscape navigator.

spine, iwhocorrupts and MyNameIsAlex like this.
  5. lostinseganet

lostinseganet [H]ard|Gawd

Wait for better technology then.

ng4ever likes this.
  6. Wiffle

Wiffle Limp Gawd

Position 5.1 speakers 1 ft from your head, and point the subwoofer ports at your face and feel the bass.

7. kdh

kdh Gawd

Try using Virtual Desktop. I've watched movies on my Vive, but the SDE kills it for me. Eye Strain made it un-fun. Novelty for sure, but the wow factor wore off quickly.

8. Supercharged_Z06

Supercharged_Z06 2[H]4U

Watching a 2D movie in VR isn't really what VR is designed to excel at right now given its current resolution limitations. It's like using a wrench as a hammer... it sort of works, but isn't the best tool for the job. A big screen 4k TV is going to work a heck of a lot better.

While watching potato cam quality 2D movies within VR is certainly possible, you aren't really benefiting from VR's "immersion" or its true capabilities that can enhance a viewing experience - it's simply simulating that you are in a large room or theater watching a screen... but the picture presented simply will be sub-par in resolution compared to a good 4k TV.

Where VR currently excels when it comes to immersion is within games or VR apps that use all of the available VR resolution space. A displayed movie image within VR just uses a portion of that space. We'll need at least another couple of generations of VR advancement (~4 years) to get the tech to levels where a displayed movie image within VR has the needed resolution to really look good and not look like a potato cam. 2D movies in VR now pretty much look like watching an old VCR player.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    Hagrid likes this.
  9. Loose Nut

Loose Nut Limp Gawd

10. sethk

sethk [H]ard|Gawd

I haven’t sat through a full move in VR despite having a launch day vive. Big Screen (the app) shows you that the experience can be improved but I think the lower res is a mental block for me - i.e. I’m thinking that it would be better on my TV.
    Once we get 4K per eye I will definitely revisit. Also 3D movies in VR are cool but I haven’t messed around with ways to get that content through my PC rig.

11. Cartbird78

Cartbird78 n00b

I've used Virtual Desktop to watch qutie a few movies and had a good experience. It helps to have a higher res movie file of course, otherwise it's terrible.

12. Bigc208

Bigc208 Limp Gawd

After I got my corrected lens inserts for my Rift I’ve been able to keep it on long enough to enjoy complete movies. I really like 3D movies. The lower resolutes does not bother me after a few minutes.

13. Hagrid

Hagrid [H]ardness Supreme

I agree. VR is for immersion into the movie and not watching in 2D form.

It does look cool to see it on a big screen or even the 3D ones, but it's not really a big deal. Even if the resolution was 4K+, I would not really watch a movie
    in VR, unless it is a true VR movie with you as the main character. That would be sweet. :)

14. Youn

Youn [H]ardness Supreme

Hardcore Henry in VR...

Tags: