I am networking stupid, need help with a project...

STrooperTK421

Limp Gawd
Ok, so the title of the thread says a lot, and given my networking shortcomings, I don't know exactly what to google for and if I am even looking at the right stuff.

So here is what I'm wanting to do:

Got a new property which is three acres in size. There will be three residences located on this land and as it turns out there are two fiber optic access nodes (one on one side and one on the other) and the company that serves that area has already told me they can patch me into one of those nodes. How am I going to take the single fiber optic drop and "split" it 3 ways? Honestly I'd like the whole thing to be fiber optic all the way, is that possible?

The service is mind bending, 1GBps / 1GBps and no fucking bandwidth caps...oh yeah. :D

Whatever they use to terminate the connection and pass it over to you, you need a router for. If you want to use fiber to the residences, which would make sense, you may add a switch to do that, or get a router that has SFP ports for fiber transceivers. You might look up Mikrotik products for this.

In each residence, you'll need a switch with an SFP port along with however many RJ45 ports you want. Mikrotik has products for this too.

Basically, a router with switch ports (could also be a router and a switch) at the termination point, fiber runs to each residence, then switches at the residences.

https://store.ui.com/collections/routing-switching/products/unifi-security-gateway-pro
+
https://store.ui.com/collections/routing-switching/products/unifi-switch-8-150w

Then you do a VLAN+DHCP and isolate each house pretty simple.

Or look at their Airmax stuff. With line of site could give good speeds.

Look at this page
https://store.ui.com/collections/wireless/airfiber

Biggest issue with Unifi (and Ubiquiti period) is the lack of SFP ports > 2. Airmax would probably cover the use case and might be far easier, but if fiber is still preferred, Ubiquiti doesn't really have good solutions for every node, at least without going into prohibitively-priced XG territory.

Is there a central building(well house, common shop, etc) that can serve as a network closet? Just in case at some future point, the folks in residence 1 don't want to play well with the others. In the common point you could put the 'magic gizmo/modem/etc' between the ISP and your network. Install your switch here and make the runs to each house. Depending on what your security concerns are plus ability and available time, either install a common firewall that serves all three homes or just set the devices to no WAN admin access and change the admin account(s) to not default. In the 2nd case, each house will need to have its own firewall gizmo.

If a rural location, someone may have the tool that lays underground water lines between the well house and distant hydrants. Use the 'water lines' as conduit for your fiber runs. Run a copper wire with the fiber to serve as a finder aid when doing a future utility search prior to digging. Plastic pipe with fiber in it is hard to locate with the normal tools.

Might even consider setting up a wide area wifi service for folks to use their phones and other normally cell connected devices. Take advantage of that ISP bandwidth. Might be able to go to a cheaper cell service if much of your cell usage is near the house.

Is there a central building(well house, common shop, etc) that can serve as a network closet? Just in case at some future point, the folks in residence 1 don't want to play well with the others. In the common point you could put the 'magic gizmo/modem/etc' between the ISP and your network. Install your switch here and make the runs to each house. Depending on what your security concerns are plus ability and available time, either install a common firewall that serves all three homes or just set the devices to no WAN admin access and change the admin account(s) to not default. In the 2nd case, each house will need to have its own firewall gizmo.

If a rural location, someone may have the tool that lays underground water lines between the well house and distant hydrants. Use the 'water lines' as conduit for your fiber runs. Run a copper wire with the fiber to serve as a finder aid when doing a future utility search prior to digging. Plastic pipe with fiber in it is hard to locate with the normal tools.

Might even consider setting up a wide area wifi service for folks to use their phones and other normally cell connected devices. Take advantage of that ISP bandwidth. Might be able to go to a cheaper cell service if much of your cell usage is near the house.

Actually, yes there will be a "central" location which is where the drop from the ISP is going to be routed to. Then from there "split" three ways (one fiber going to my place, one to my dad's and one to my sisters place)...at least that is how I want to do it given CAT 6 distance limitations of around ~100m. We don't want a "central" WI-FI setup either, as that is going to be something that can be done on their ends. All runs are going to be made underground in conduit as well.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Nothing wrong with it, just more expensive. Makes sense if you want to transfer 10g to the family, or if you think the fiber trunk might get an upgrade at some point. Also has a faster CPU, which may help and can't hurt.

you may want check out older used Cisco gear on ebay. Lot of the older ones have gigantic capabilities at salvage prices. This is simply because most people don't think of running enterprise gear at home.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cisco-WS-C...005682?hash=item28895909f2:g:yesAAOSwM~dd1set
at $30 you get 4 slots for SFP where the fiber links would connect. look for 2960 S model if you need POE. if you need router capabilities go with 3560-G which also has POE.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back