I am loving Mass Effect, what Bioware game should I try next?

meatfestival

[H]ard|Gawd
To be honest I don't want Mass Effect to end, it's so good...

I heard Jade Empire is rather splendid as well. Is the gameplay similar?

I tried a friend's copy of KOTOR a couple years back but I couldn't get into it. Too wordy and the lack of realtime combat bored me. Perhaps I'll give it another try...

I tried a friend's copy of KOTOR a couple years back but I couldn't get into it. Too wordy and the lack of realtime combat bored me. Perhaps I'll give it another try...

From the 20 minutes I played of Jade Empire, it's very very different from ME. I think it's more like Ninja Gaiden. If you're ok with old school, there's always Baldur's Gate 1 & 2.

MDK2: Armageddon is a kick ass game. :)

I'm surprised you don't like kotr. its almost the exact same game as mass effect. The only thing thats slightly different is the combat.

Really you could call Mass effect KOTR 3, without the jedi.

Barbie Dress Up is pretty hardcore. Its one of their lesser known titles, but still rocks cawks.

KotOR is awesome. The sequel (Obsidian Entertainment) isn't as good, but still worth playing.

I'm surprised you don't like kotr. its almost the exact same game as mass effect. The only thing thats slightly different is the combat.

Really you could call Mass effect KOTR 3, without the jedi.

Yeah, the RPG elements are very similar, there was just something rather tedious about it. Even though the action in Mass Effect isn't spectacular, everything seems to hang together better as a whole. The storyline is a lot more absorbing, more interesting characters & dialogue etc

I might take another look if I'm still left wanting more at the end of ME

I really enjoyed Jade Empire and recommend it to any fans of Bioware style games...I don't think you had the combat set up right for KOTOR...iirc it could be turn based, realtime or a combo of both depending on the options you chose through the menu.

Sounds interesting. If there's plenty combat I'll probably check it out

The combat in Jade Empire is interesting. It's melee-oriented and real time, no pseudo-turn based crap like in KotOR and NWN. Basically it just comes down to mashing buttons in different combat forms on the lower difficulties, but it can be made more complex using the harmonic combo system. The story is interesting and the environment/atmosphere, although not exactly unique or original, are well fleshed out if you're willing to do the sidequests and bother talking to your party. The graphics engine is based on the same one as KotOR, so that will obviously not be anywhere near on par with ME.

Neverwinter Nights and its expansion packs

KOTR
Baldurs Gate 1, 2

There are also titles made by Black Isle which was related to Bioware:

Icewind Dale
Planescape: Torment
Fallout

All of those have very good stories if that is what you are interested in.

KOTR starts off slow but is excellent after the first part.

i just beat mass effect last night and LOVED it! its been so long since i've played a game as good as that. now i might play through again chosing all the badass dialogue options

I'd also recommend Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines. After you're done with Bioware games.

Loved NWN, allways thought KOTOR was the best story in an RPG ever and then ME came along... Bioware, even now, manages to raise the bar in storytelling & immersion in my book.

Even if this is the fist Bioware game the OP played, I recommend all of them as they're all good.... and OP, give KOTOR a second chance.. the things that game allowed as dark side could be downright cruel. Even if the combat was not as action packed, that game played like a movie... and a better movie than the Star Wars prequels ever were at that.

I didn't like KotOR but i loved Mass Effect. The combat just killed it for me.

EDIT: Oh right, the question... wait for ME2? >.>

Well, that's Mass Effect finished :(

Haven't enjoyed a game that much in a long time. Roll on ME 2...

Jade Empire SE, Star Wars KoToR both of them. Never Winter Nights.

Back