I am in a unique situation... Please Read.

Alright here it goes. I have a a pretty decent gaming computer. It can play alot of the newer games. However my computer desk broke on me, so I can't really use it, at least not with the LCD monitor. Now on my video card is an Svideo connection and I have been using my computer through my TV. Only problem is the horrible resolution. Also to add injury to insult, I broke my foot last night and I am sort of housebound for a while. I am forced to use the TV as my monitor for now. Now I was thinking about using my TV as a onestop entertainment center and include the computer in it. I was wondering what I would need to buy to achieve monitor-like resolution on a 32 inch TV. Would I need a new video card? A new TV? Both? Or impossible? BTW Money isn't really an issue, just wanting to know what I need. Thanks.

You need a TV that will accept VGA, DVI, or HDMI connections and a video card that will provide one of those 3 types of output. Your TV needs to be capable of displaying a decent resolution. If it can't display at least 1024x768 it's going to look bad no matter what signal you feed it. 1366x768 resolution TVs are pretty common these days and will provide a decent picture. Keep in mind that some of them will overscan, which will cut off the edges of the displayed picture. Ideally you want a TV that can do a 1:1 signal input to output ratio.

DVI and HDMI will provide the best picture quality.

You can buy DVI to HDMI cables if your TV only has HDMI.

S-Video will only allow you to display a maximum resolution of 1024x768 (widescreen 1024x576 interlaced).
Basically, what you need is a TV capable of displaying resolutions higher than 1024x768. Most new LCDs and Plasma TVs these days will offer a maximum resolution of at least 720p (1280x720 progressive scan), and you may be able to pick up a 32" that will display 1080i. I'm pretty sure there's a few Samsungs out there that definitely do it, along with an LG.
Make sure that the panel you buy has a DVI or VGA input on the back (Samsung definitely does), because that will simply allow for you to run a cable from your video card to your TV. Set the desired resolution (1280x720, 1920x1080) in the video card settings, and you're done.

So, your computer desk broke and your foot is now broken... That seems like an intresting story.

I've got a 30" Samsung widescreen that does 1080i through DVI and component. Something like that would be good if you're on a budget, I believe it was about $700-800CAD and that was almost two years ago.

I would buy another desk, and pay to have it set up if you have no one else to help you. Cheapest option by far- you're not going to get over native (eg. 704X480) resolution with that SDTV you're trying to use. Buying a HDTV to use would cost over $1000 US for one that can do 1080P, which is what you would really want.
Best bet is to replace your broken desk- you'll need to do that anyway, right?

Since he said that money isn't the object here, I'd suggest one of those new Sharp Aquos 1080p displays. I saw a few in person here the other day and they are VERY nice looking. I think the 32" model was about $1200 too....unless they had things marked wrong (which very well could be, I didn't double check).

Unfortunately, your problem isnt video card or special adaptors, it's the TV that limits you. Save for Plasma or LCD TV;s, they generally have crappy resolution and picture compared to a computer monitor, so unless you want to spend 1000 bux on a tv because your desk broke, i suggest you buy a desk :)

-Ashley

Just get a bigger lcd monitor, and stick a tv-tuner in your pc, now you have a media center pc and can pause, record etc.

Whatever you do, don't break anything else in the process of setting this up!

1c3d0g said:
LMAO Russell...I'm sure his lady wouldn't want his nuts broken too... :p

LOL!
Broken Foot + large FlatPanel TV + labor involved in setup = Blown Nut

Uh yeah I don't get it. Stand the LCD on SOMETHING ELSE. There must be something unique about your setup that isn't being conveyed here...

xappie said:
Uh yeah I don't get it. Stand the LCD on SOMETHING ELSE. There must be something unique about your setup that isn't being conveyed here...

this is why i love my YY cube, when your without a desk, the top of the cube is big enought to support a what ever moniter you happen to have (i've had a 24" crt sitting on top of it at one point) it works well in a pinch.

hmm, again back to the money not being an issue, is a projecter system out of the question?

Hire someone from Ikea to build you a new Ikea desk.

Put the monitor up on milk crates.

Get a nice, cheap 32" tv with a d-sub or dvi in the back.

Make waffles. Lots of syrup. Then stare into it until you see your desktop.

I have a hyundai q321 32" lcdhd, it runs at 1280x768, and videogames on it run beautifully. Runs about 800 on newegg.

Back