I am glad I advised AGAINST any upgrade for DOOM3

Cannibal Corpse

[H]ard|Gawd
After playing the single player fore a bit (loved it a LOT), I decided to join a multiplayer game: What a disappointing experience. Gameplay was so choppy to the point that it was really unplayable.

I am VERY glad that I advised my friend who was about to spend 2K+ on PC upgrade for DOOM3. If the multiplayer was really "playable" then I could justify this expense. I mean what is the point to spend all this money, in order to enjoy couple of days worth of single player experience? Please correct me if I am wrong...

Feel free to post your insights and comments please.

My own system by the way:
P4 2.4b
1GB PC2700 DDR
GeForce 6800 GT OC (about to be returned back and replaced with my good ol' ATi 9800XT before 30 day money back guarantee period of the retailer that I got it from)

there will be more pc games coming out in the future :)

although halflife2 will run good on a 9800xt anyway

Well obviously, but your XT can't hold a candle to the GT in DX9 games either so I don't quite get you there.

I wouldn't agree with the advice of not upgrading. I think while it is a bit thoughtless to upgrade just for one game, you have to consider that there will be mods(TFC anyone?) based on this engine and that multiplayer in its current state is fun for some people. Also, upgrading will not affect Doom3 exclusively. Half Life2, CS:S and any other upcoming titles will all benefit from an upgrade. I consider Doom3 to be the harbinger for the next generation games while Far Cry was a mere warning shot. Lots of other developers are going to try and push the limit now that the x800s and 6800s are in circulation. It's not like engines are going to get less demanding over time.

Of course, there's never a reason to upgrade if you're happy with you got. I used a pos MX for like 3 years. Honestly never knew what I was even missing, I always set games for minimum settings without a 2nd thought. :p

Just noticed your specs, with a 2.4b I think you might be strangling your card with your CPU. Just a thought.

If enough people suffer with bad MP performance surely id will release a patch to sort it out.

Cannibal Corpse said:
... I mean what is the point to spend all this money, in order to enjoy couple of days worth of single player experience? Please correct me if I am wrong...

That is the precise reason why MMORPGs will rule over any FPS =)

Back