I am getting google fiber...they include a router but I wanted to also use my Asus AX11000.. any way to use both?

LGabrielPhoto

2[H]4U
Hi!
So I am using the Asus AX11000 but as it has no way for me to take advantage of the 2Gb (or maybe 5Gb speeds I will be singing up for), I was wondering if I could use the Google included router for the faster wired connection to my PC and add my Asus router to do the rest of the wireless connections.
Then again, maybe the Google included stuff is good enough already (includes 2 mesh extenders).
Anyone has experienced with what device google is including?
Thanks

I have Century Link Fiber. At install I had them place the optical network terminal (ONT) in my office. That required them running an optical cable through my attic and I was charged $75 for that. I connected my Asus Router (ASUS RT-AX3000) directly to it. No century Link router required. YMMV with Google, but I suspect it's not much different.

1st I had them setup completely there router to their ONT and confirmed solid internet.
2nd I had to factory reset the Asus Router and initialize the automated setup routine but no other hoops to jump through. As I recall there were some questions I had to answer the right way during the setup. The toots I read at the time said I had to get the login from century link PPPoE but that truned out not to be the case but I did have to call Century Link.
3rd took back Century Link Router to avoid paying 8 bucks a month for it

In any case I'd say it's worth a few searches to figure out how to use your own equipment.

Is there any sort of pass through mode on the Google equipment? You can still do it without it, but you’ll be doing double-NAT which can get annoying depending how deep you dive into firewall configuration.

You should just be able to use the service without their mesh router. As other stated you can go from ONT to your equipment as ONT is the key for fiber deployments.

Back