I am .. dead... what to do!

Porphyria

Limp Gawd
Okay, so I ordered a new motherboard yesterday from new egg, and today I went to take my processor out of my current motherboard. I didn't know that dell basicaly glued my p4 to the heatsink, so I was rather careless in taking off the heatsink. I didn't realize this till later when I tried to put the chip back in and my computer wouldn't turn on. I had bent a few of the golden poles on the bottom of the chip... fuck? Fuck.

Since its a chip off a refurbished computer from dell, intel won't help me with it. I called dell and they basicaly gave me the middle finger askign me what I was doing, after my father and I vigoriously explained I was removing the chip to transfer to a new motherboard on a new system.. no luck at all.

I have discovered I have an old dell 1.4 ghz chip lying around on this motherboard, but I fear it is the same sort of set up and I don't want to damage the chip taking the heat sink off . Does anyone know or have any guides as to how to take off a heatsink of a dell dimension 8000 series motherboard? I need this processor just so I can use my own damn computer.... until I get 150$ (sigh.. crying) to buy another proc. Also, do all intel procs have to have the heatsink glued on like that? Does anyone know any other solution?

Thanks in advance.

the heatsink? doesn't it have Clips or Screws you can just pop out ?

and btw, i think one you go touching stuff inside the case, hardware that comes w/a dell, that warrantys and tech support is void.

but i dunno, i maybe wrong.

and to get the proc off the heatsink, like some other kid said in another post, try and slip a credit card or something between it gently, and try not to bend the pins on the bottom of the proc

I believe just giving it a quick twist will break the seal between the cpu and heatsink rather then yanking on it. How bad are the pins bent? If they're 90degreees ur prolly screwed but if they're not that bad you could try staightening them w/ tweezers.

No, not all the intels have it, I believe only the older models do.

GL I hope I helped you out.

I already spent an hour ( yes my eye hand co-ordination dexterity building for the day .. heh ) with a knife, but I pretty much got them all real good.. except for the fact that one just um.. fell off. Sigh.

I think I found a diagram to take off the proc from my old motherboard, but, will I need to keep the heatsink on the proc or no.. or ? Will I need thermal glue? Shit..

http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/dsleest/rr.htm#socketed_processor

just opening the side case cover on a dell will void its warranty

as for the original poster, if you had no clue what you were doing in the first place you should've never done anything.

thats how stuff breaks

I knew exactly what I was doing. I simply didn't know dell thermal glued the processor to the heat sink.

In all the diagrams I saw, the processor was un-connected from the heat sink.

Give me a break

Well, if most of the pins are straight, you might actually be lucky and the processor might still be useful. Yeah, twisting or prying with a knife is about the only way to get it off. It's probably not as glued as you think, you just need to get that initial breaking of the seal and it should pop off. My friend and I spent about 15 minutes trying to get his off, then it just went "Poomp!" and fell into his lap. He had quite a few bent pins too, though none fell off.

When you eventually do get the heatsink separated from the CPU, try the CPU out (with a heatsink on of course ;) ) just to be sure. You don't want to put it on a keychain until you're sure it's truly dead :D

Originally posted by hi tech hate
just opening the side case cover on a dell will void its warranty

That is an incorrect statement.

"If you didn't know what you were saying, don't say it. That's how people get misinformation." -- how's my logic? :D

i think people like you shouldn't be opening up your computer and trying to upgrade it...but thats just me.

What i've done in the past is run the computer for a few minutes under heavy load, which generates enough heat to temporarily melt the phase-change wax.

letting it run for a min or two outa work. I always remove the hsf while the proc is still on the motherboard, that way you dont need to worry about the pins bending.

@Todd: Not to seem like an asshole, but you were once "one of you people". Also, I have already built a PC before. I know and fully understand how. In my experience, the heatsink had never fully been attached to the processor so violently, and it was always take off the H-S, and then remove the processor.

Here is an update:

I just tried to take out my HD and put it in my other comp so I could just have damn internet until I can order a new proc, but the BIOS is basically not letting my windows XP boot (it was originally just used with a win2k drive, and when I boot now, I get "hardware configuration modified, please choose boot, and I choose boot normally, etc, and it reboots to same screen.. I don't feel like messing with it right now.). I decided to take out my 1.4 ghz proc, being much more careful this time. I got it out, and then to my dismay, and probably my ignorance, sheepishly realized that my generation1 p4 is much too big for the microprocessor socket on the newer motherboard. Ah well, time to order a new proc.

Thanks for your guys' help, and to people who are telling me not to "mod" or "upgrade" my computer.. You know what? Live in learn. This has never happened before to me, and it will never happen again. People like you look down on people like myself who originally just built a computer for a friend, or something, and are running an actual bought-computer they upgraded themselves. Is this some sort of trend? That you are cooler if the comp you are on is built from the ground up with your own hands? If thats the case, I'll be back in a few days when mine is fully built and you'll show me more respect. :)

Originally posted by Porphyria
I already spent an hour ( yes my eye hand co-ordination dexterity building for the day .. heh ) with a knife, but I pretty much got them all real good.. except for the fact that one just um.. fell off. Sigh.

Hmm everyone is giving him suggestions on how to take off the heatsink, but since one of the pins fell off, isn't the processor dead?

Yes I believe that the CPU is dead. Thats why I tried switching it with a 1.4 from a diff comp.

Anyways, about to order a new 2.4 :(. This is really hitting the bank hard.. sigh. I will never be this careless again. Lesson learned.

Thanks for your help, guys.

Originally posted by lil layzie
Hmm everyone is giving him suggestions on how to take off the heatsink, but since one of the pins fell off, isn't the processor dead?

That's the chip he already pulled the HS off of - he's got another 1.4 sitting around that he wants to take the HS off correctly with this time around. (AFAIK)

Yes, thanks for help.. I got it off correctly, but it won't fit in this motherboard :( its an old p4.

Thanks, though. Credit card-trick worked.

You could always send the proc to this guy for repair. I almost sent him a mobo once for cap repair, but it started working again so I didn't bother.

argh... Oh well, It's already been ordered, or I probably would. Anyways, my dad was real nice and told me it would be my bar mitzvah present.

Thanks Dad.

If you had a extra test board you should try out that processor. Some people lose 4 pins on the bottom and it still works. I wouldn't try it with anything expensive connected to it though.

Originally posted by Porphyria
I have already built a PC before.

I just tried to take out my HD and put it in my other comp so I could just have damn internet until I can order a new proc, but the BIOS is basically not letting my windows XP boot (it was originally just used with a win2k drive, and when I boot now, I get "hardware configuration modified, please choose boot, and I choose boot normally, etc, and it reboots to same screen.. I don't feel like messing with it right now.).

so are you saying your trying to boot off the hard drive that was in your dell on a differn't computer?

because thats not going to work. every time you switch boards with a hd you have to reinstall or repair windows because the old chipset drivers are on there.

i don't know fully what you mean but thats my 2 cents on the situation

Don't choose normal, choose repair
and it will re conifig to the ohter mother board

If one pin fell off you may be luckey it happened to my friend with an AMD turned out it was a ground line. So it still may work

Hey guys not to bump an old thread but I just want to express my sincere thanks towards this board. Helped me a lot.

Problem is solved, my 2.4b p4 northwood core just shipped :).

Not only did one pin fall off, but quite a few in the diret middle of some of the rows bent, and I can't get to them with tweezers or a knife without bending another. I'll keep this proc around incase anything ever happens and I can get it fixed.

Also, Dell is a bunch of assholes towards me today.. heh.

I call just one last time, and the Lady asks me if I had to "open the case to remove the processor" :( . I almost wanted to give her the ol' "No, I used a robotic arm to open it and remove the proc" :).

Thanks for all the help guys, this board has me as an official member-thats-going-to-stay-forever :).

Well I'm sorry to hear you weren't able to salvage the broken processor, but it's nice to see it won't be discouraging you from any future projects, and that you'll be sticking around here for a while :)

I think one of the long time members once said something along the lines of "If you haven't fried anything, then you're not [H]ard". Welcome to the [H] :D

Back