I am at a complete loss :S. (If you can fix this I'll give you my first born son)

ManCannon

2[H]4U
My computer refuses to connect to the internet and I have no idea what to do :confused: . I've tried pretty much everything I can think of. Hell, I resorted to calling tech support and after trying everything they could think of I still can't connect to the net. I'll describe what's going on and if anyone can figure this out I will henceforth refer to them as my lord and savior. I've been working at this for hours and hours and I still can't connect.

Ok so here's the deal. I was trying to forward some ports through my WRT54G. I did that and went back to BT and I was still getting crappy download speeds and a yellow status light. I tried many different ports and still the same story. I ran a NATcheck and it said I failed on those ports even though I had opened them in the router. So then I got to thinking that perhaps there was some kind of interference between the modem/router my ISP gave me and my Linksys router. I thought it was a longshot but I figured I might as well be certain. So I unhook the Linksys and plug the modem/router directly into the computer. I immediately attempt to load up the router's configuration utility by typing in 10.0.0.2. After typing in the correct username and pass, the page won't load, much ot my chagrin. I hook everything back up to my Linksys to see if everything is working there, and it is. So I decide to try going to directly into the modem/router again after confirming everything is working fine with the Linksys. I get it all setup and try loading 10.0.0.2 again. Same story, won't load.

So I say what the hell and reset the modem. Here's where things go from bad to worse. After resetting the modem I try to load up 10.0.0.2 again and nothing happens, but this time it doesn't even ask for my username/pass, it just tries to load but can't. So I try to load a webpage, no go. I hook everything back up through the Linksys and now the internet isn't working there either :(.

I try everything I can think of, then I move on to tech support. We try everything they can think of and still no connection. After all that they tell me to go to the head office and get myself a new modem, which I do. Now I figure I should try hooking the modem up to the computer I'm on now. Once I get it all setup I check the connection. It works fine and every website loads up correctly. Then I try 10.0.0.2. Asks for username/pass, won't load.

So here I am, two different computers, two different OS's (Windows XP64 on my main machine and XPpro on this one), two different modems, and I can't get into the modem's configuration utility :(. The only difference between the two systems is on this one the internet is working, and on the other one it isn't. Right now I've got everything going through the Linksys with the connection split between both computers, yet it doesn't work on my main machine, and it does on this one. And like I said, everything was fine until I reset the modem.

Here's a quick rundown of some things I've tried and you should know before you try to wrap your brain around this conundrum:

Have the latest motherboard drivers for XP64.
Tried uninstalling and reinstalling the ethernet card (onboard) and the drivers.
Looked in the BIOS and everything is set up correctly there.
Have tried both static and dynamic IP's.
Have tried two different modems and still the same story.
Have tried a System Restore to a point when the internet was working correctly.
Right now I'm getting the ping I set up, yet when I ping my router I get no response.
The connection worked fine on XP64 for over 2 weeks.

I apologize for the length of this, but I'm at my wit's end here. I don't know what else I can try and I will be eternally grateful to anyone who can help me out. I hope I'm just overlooking something and I can get this fixed.

Perhaps your just confused with terminology. Why are you trying to logon ot the modems utility at all? "After resetting the modem I try to load up 10.0.0.2 again and nothing happens, but this time it doesn't even ask for my username/pass, it just tries to load but can't. So I try to load a webpage" I assume your modem also doubles as a router? If so then why are you changing anything on it? Port forwarding? I would do a hard reset of your modem or modem/router if that is what it is. if it is a router then you don't need another router in the mix. If you have a linksys router then all you would use that as is a switch., not a router. In other words, don't use the WAN port on the Linksys, only the LAN ports. Honestly your description is a bit too confusing to offer a whole lot of advice. Elaborate and I am sure there are plenty of people here that can help.

I use the Linksys to split the connection between the two PC's in the house. The only reason I was trying to get into the modem/router's (the one I got from my ISP) utility was because the ports I forwarded in the Linksys weren't working. I wanted to see if perhaps I needed to switch the modem/router to bridge mode or forward the ports in there.

Forgive me if I've confused anyone, I'm kind of confused myself. If you need me to clarify anything I'd be happy to.

If the modem is your providers property then there is no reason to change anything on it and you shouldn't be messing around with their gear UNLESS they have told you to do so. I'd look at your routers manual again and go through the port forwarding section. May also have a virtual server section you can look at that may help

Ummm a wrt54g won't use a 10.x.x.x address scheme.

It has to be a 192.168.0.x

QJ

I know, I'm saying that's what they are when I try to get into the modem/router that the DSL company provided me with. Visionnet I believe. I apologize if I wasn't clear enough.

ktwebb said:
If the modem is your providers property then there is no reason to change anything on it and you shouldn't be messing around with their gear UNLESS they have told you to do so. I'd look at your routers manual again and go through the port forwarding section. May also have a virtual server section you can look at that may help

I've told them that I was trying to get into it's configuartion utility to forward some ports before and they didn't seem to care. I don't care if it's their property, if it's obstructing my use of the internet then I will configure it to my liking whenever I feel like it. They never told me not to and they've never had a problem with me using it before. Of course that doesn't make a difference because I can't get into it for whatever reason anyway :(.

I know how to forward ports and I set it up correctly. That's beside the point now because I can't get into the Linksys configuration utility on that computer either. I can on this one though, but then I can actually use the internet on this one for whatever reason.

i would recomend unplugging the modem and router for like 5 mins, then plug in the modem and router and wait another 5 minutes then try it again.

when you do try it try going to the routers configuration page (192.168.1.1) and see if that works. if it does look under router status to see if it is detecting your ISP's settings (ip address, etc.)

Didn't work. I can go into it on this computer though, here's what it says:

Login Type: Automatic Configuration - DHCP
IP Address: 10.0.0.11
Subnet Mask: 255.0.0.0
Default Gateway: 10.0.0.2
DNS 1: 10.0.0.2
DNS 2:
DNS 3:
MTU: 1500

try tossing an old network card in the a64 system and see if that works. maybe there is something wrong with your onboard lan.

whats the ip addy your getting on the other machine?
maybe flushing the dns and then reregistering it? then renewing the IP

Haven't got one :(. Would take the one out of this one, but it's onboard too. What makes me think it's not the card is the fact that everything went wrong as soon as I reset the modem. Of course, I have a different modem hooked up to it right now and it's still the same story so I don't know what's going on.

when you are connected to the router, and you do an ipconfig in dos, what does it say your IP addy is?

It should be 192.168.1.100

QJ

192.168.1.103. It was 169.whatever, but after I unsintalled and reinstalled the ethernet adapter and the drivers it started pinging normally. Now instead of instantly telling me a page can't be found it tries to load until it says it "document contains no data".

How would I go about doing what you described?

I set it to 103, I was under the impression it could be anything within a certain range.

Ummm set it to DHCP and see if it works... those routers have a whacky subnet thing going on... see if you can get into the router after setting to DHCP.

QJ

what also might help, since many of us are getting confused with the the whole router\modem portion is tell us what kind of modem it is.
IE: a motorola 5460 or something along those lines. Ifs its not a router than the config page youre trying to get to is probably disabled.

Honestly im still a little confused.

All I know is it's a "Visionnet" modem. I know it's a router and I know it has a config page because I've been in it before.

I also just changed it to a dynamic ip and I still can't get into the Linksys config page.

compslckr, will that work with XP64?

i am not sure, i am still running regular XP on my a64 system. it should run though

After doing a bit of googling, I am guessing you have DSL, is that correct?

Further, take a look at this site and see if one of the seven broadband modems they show is the one you have. Next you might check thier tech support on that modem if this is the correct site. If not, then we need to go back to Google and google "Visionnet modem" again, and see what else we come up with.

If the modem has a router built in, you may not need the Linksys, you may just need a switch or hub.

Your other option is to go buy your own Modem, and stop paying rent on your providers modem. This way you know you have a standard modem, that will just pass packets on to your Linksys.

Just a thought.

If it is DSL. Then you probably wont get into the modem setup page unless you are directly connected to the modem. At least this was the case for me. When I first got DSL and hooked it up with my router I could get no connectivity to the internet at all and I could not get into the modem. After doing some surfing on the net using the modem, I discovered that the modem and my lynksys were using the same IP range...Lynksys used the 192.168.1.1 and the modem is something like 192.168.1.127 or something like that.
To fix this I had to change the IP address of the router to something else. I think i ended up using 192.168.2.1 for the router. This fixed all my connectivity issues, but I still could not get into the modem, but as I have had no issues using any of the features of the router, I dont need or care to get into the modems setup page.
Anyhow, I now use a D-link router and have no issues, but still cannot get into the modems setup page...again im not having no issues with any of the settings i set on the router so I dont think about getting into the modems setup page....if I needed to though, then I would have to directly connect to the modem.....
just remembered, while I was screwing around trying to figure out why I couldnt get on the net with the DSL and my router, I have ended up locking myself out of the router...only way to get back in was power off and reset it...sheesh what a pain it was getting it all together and working.....so in conclusion...maybe trying a different IP address for the router and not try to get into the modem setup page as you really shouldnt need to, or connect to the modem directly, setup what you need and then go back and use the router....dunno if any of this crap I wrote will be helpful or just strain eyes from having to read it all

kdheads said:
If it is DSL. Then you probably wont get into the modem setup page unless you are directly connected to the modem. ....dunno if any of this crap I wrote will be helpful or just strain eyes from having to read it all

Yeah, I've hooked the modem up to both computers directly, and it won't go into setup on either one :(. Thanks for the suggestions though. I'm gonna go fiddle with it more, I appreciate everyone's help.

Ok I just reset both the modem and the router and when they came back I had a 169. ip :eek: . So I changed it to a 192. ip but I still couldn't ping the router. So I switched it to obtain automatically and it took forever to bring back an ip of 169. :(

The 169.x.x.x is an APIPA address being assigned by Windows because it's not being able to pull one from the DHCP server.

I know, I'm just at a loss as to why it works fine on this computer and not the other one. I didn't change any settings, all I did was reset that first modem, but if it was the modem then this new one should have worked :confused:.

Breaking news here, I just went and played a couple games of pool with my bro, when I came back the net was out on this computer as well as the other one :eek: . I go into my room, reset the Visionnet and the Linksys, come back here and it's still out. I changed the ip to obtain automatically on this computer, and it instantly came back. The other computer is still returning a 169 ping when set to obtain automatically. This keeps getting weirder and weirder as I go along. There must be ghosts in my cables or something.

EDIT: Just uninstalled and reinstalled the Nvidia Networking controller again for the hell of it, no change.

ManCannon said:
EDIT: Just uninstalled and reinstalled the Nvidia Networking controller again for the hell of it, no change.

The Nvidia firewall has been known to block DHCP. If your motherboard has this feature, turn it off and see what happens. You may want to turn off the built in XP firewall as well.

When you attempt to ping your default gateway, does it give you an arp entry?

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ping 192.168.0.1

Pinging 192.168.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=127

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 1, Received = 1, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms
Control-C
^C
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>arp -a

Interface: 192.168.0.2 --- 0x10003
Internet Address Physical Address Type
192.168.0.1 00-11-95-05-ca-90 dynamic

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

If you do not get a ping response, but do get an arp entry, then some upper level thing(firewall most likely) is blocking your traffic.

If you do not get a ping response or arp entry, then you have a layer1(cable or network card problem) or layer2(network card/driver problem) problem.

Both the Nvidia firewall and XP firewall are set to off. When I ping 192.168.1.1 I get no arp entry.

just a thought...i dont know if your router logs when comps try to connect to it...my d-link does that......when i had the problem of connecting with my usb wireless adapter, i could see in my log that it was trying to connect....so at first what i did was flush the dns and then reregister it using ipconfig /flushdns then ipconfig /registerdns then using ipconfig /renew......this worked for a bit but then the problem came back......so what i did was took the mac addy that was being seen in the logs and assigned a static ip to that mac in the router and then manually configured the ip for the comp and had no more problems connecting it.....you might want to see if any of that can help

Well there is a log, checked that and saw nothing.

Did the flush/register/renew thing and when I did renew it said it couldn't contact the DHCP server.

Well I've given up. And I'm 99% sure when I go out to get new parts, if I ever do, they won''t fix the problem.

Figures this would happen right before the Battlefield 2 demo comes out, something I've been aniticipating for quite some time. Somehow I don't think this computer's 5200 will be up to the job of playing it :(.

Disclaimer: The above was my obligatory woe is me post. You should all feel sorry for me now :p .

try your a64 system over at a friends house to make sure it isn't a problem with your computer. if it dosn't work there go ahead and format it and see if that fixes your problem.

if it does work over there, try contacting your ISP and see if they can help you at all, maybe try a different router if you can borrow one or something?

sounds like your isp uses mac authentication and will only assign you a ip based on mac address registration... i would call and ask just to eliminate that

ryan

ManCannon said:
Both the Nvidia firewall and XP firewall are set to off. When I ping 192.168.1.1 I get no arp entry.

I'm assuming your linksys router's IP is 192.168.1.1 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

Set the following IP info on your a64 system.

IP:192.168.1.2
subnet mask:255.255.255.0
default gateway:192.168.1.1

At this point, are you able to ping and get an arp entry for the computer that does work, and the linksys router?

What does 'netstat -e' tell you?

If you still do not get an arp entry when trying to ping 192.168.1.1, remove any switches/hubs between you and the linksys.
If you still do not get an arp entry when trying to ping 192.168.1.1, replace the cable with a known good cable.

rhofford said:
sounds like your isp uses mac authentication and will only assign you a ip based on mac address registration... i would call and ask just to eliminate that

ryan

thats a good theory, but wouldnt they only use that for the dsl modem and not the NIC

we use DHCP reservation system that does this sort of thing as well

we enter the MAC address and information about the computer and assign it an IP address

whereever the machine is moved in our org, it will always be assigned the same IP address according to its MAC addy

Back