I Am Alive

Roliath

2[H]4U
Did anyone pick this up on XBL/PSN?
If you did what are your impressions for a $15 dollar game?

Reading around, it looks like it was a solid game on XBL, a few bugs here and there. It also looks like it's a challenging game, and immersive as well.

I read some issues about PSN, like the game crashing non-stop or causing people to do hard-reboots. If it's fixed I'd like to get it on PSN.

Pretty terrible game on either system if you ask me. Just try the demo. It might be worth it when it goes on sale but for $15 you can do much better. Skullgirls is great. Fez is very fun platformer. Shadow Complex, Castle Crashers, Scott Pilgrim, Super Meat Boy, Toy Soldiers 1 & 2, Beyond Good and Evil, Oddworld: Strangers Wrath, Stacking, Costume Quest...I'd look into these at least.

What was so terrible about it? Been reading mixed opinions.

Everything about it feels poor. Graphics, controls, story and so on. Just makes it frustrating more than fun.

There is a good idea under this game. I'd like to see another developer "borrow" from it to make something greater. As it is, I didn't like it. There has been pretty mixed reviews on it some maybe you'll be different. Again, try the demo if you can. I know XBL has one.

Pretty terrible game on either system if you ask me. Just try the demo. It might be worth it when it goes on sale but for $15 you can do much better. Skullgirls is great. Fez is very fun platformer. Shadow Complex, Castle Crashers, Scott Pilgrim, Super Meat Boy, Toy Soldiers 1 & 2, Beyond Good and Evil, Oddworld: Strangers Wrath, Stacking, Costume Quest...I'd look into these at least.
Not really looking for game ideas here, but thanks.

I was specifically asking about I Am Alive, I was following it and than the game died down for a bit and I just noticed last night that it was out. I don't if ever use my PS3 so I was wondering if this is game was worth turning it on for.

It's a mixed bag really, I think I'll download and try it regardless tonight. What's $15?

I'm an hour or two into it. Basically imagine a mix of tomb raider and Silent hill.

So you start off in the post apocalypse, but it's not like hip Fallout/I am Legend. It's more realistic like "The Road" and it's plays pretty much like that film/book if I were to describe the feel. Everyone is dead or dying. The atmosphere is full of dust.

that said every action takes a lot out of you. You do a lot of climbing like Tomb Raider and prince of persia and it's extremely exhausting so you have to constantly be searching for the next bottle of water, food, first aid.

Most people either just want you to get the fuck away from them or kill you. You have a knife and may occasionally find a single bullet so you have to use a little ingenuity(they kinda help step you through it early on). One of the early fight you need force this guy at gun point to the edge of a pit and kick him off because you have no ammo but he doesn't know that. Another fight I had 4 guys come at me. Two had guns if I recall. I had to let one guy with a gun walk up to me cut his throat, shoot the other gunman, run up and stab the guy going for the second ones gun, and shoot the last guy with that gun. It was very difficult to pull off.

The fights aren't the main theme. Its mostly about the story and trying to survive/find your love one, save people. I think an hour in I fought maybe 3 fights. However don't worry I'm not spoiling anything this is like 1/6 into the game judging from my achievements and unlocks.

If it sounds interesting heres where I tell you the drawbacks.

Stealth is totally broken and pointless. The game appears to be fairly linear with optional exploration. The fights and NPC encounters have been universally unavoidable. It feels open but it's not and they do a so-so job of keeping your mind off that fact.

Graphically the game looks good I spose. It services the story. It's Unreal 3.0 level. I don't know there's not been enough 3 person adventure games out to compare it to so better than Resident Evil Zero and Rebirth, not as pretty as Dead Space?

The game is enjoyable, but I think the Idea was bigger than what they could produce. it's a very Solid 7/10 maybe an 8/10 if you're survival Horror/Adventure fan. Definitely not a 9/10 from any perspective.

yeah its worth $10-15, but again only if this is very specifically what you're into.

Thanks for your review, I think i'll pick it up and play through it on Sunday or so. I followed it for awhile, but the talk died down faily quickly. I remember seeing the first preview of the game and was pretty excited.

Thanks again, can I ask you what system you were playing it on?

If you're looking for a survival horror type game, I can't recommend Deadly Premonition enough. It was only $20 new. The Twin Peaks vibe is excellent. Will take you twice as long to beat too.

Very cool Piscian, thanks for the quick review.

Looks like a solid game, and it does sound like they bit off more than they could chew, but not a terrible thing I believe.

Going to give it a shot.

Back