I actually have a 10900k on the way!

It arrived!!! :D

Both my CPU and Mobo arrived yesterday and I've got everything up and running. So far it's running fine at 5.1Ghz.

I haven't tried gaming with it yet, so I'll need to do more testing before I consider it stable. This is on an MSI Z490 Unify.

score.jpg

Why is it next to impossible to get a new Intel chip on release at MSRP? It was never this bad back in the day. I refuse to pay over MSRP. Even to today the 10900x is way over the $600 MSRP 8 months after release preventing me from upgrading my 7820x and now 10900k is out of stock everywhere and if available is way over the $500 MSRP. People are stupid to be paying this much money for Intel garbage when AMD is hundreds cheaper for the equivalent or better performance chip. I'm probably going to wait until next year to upgrade and get AMD who will probably not have stock issues or massive price gouging.

Supply and demand.
I feel like demand has always been the same for any new processor release. I never had this much issues when I considered upgrading but couldn't because of price gouging or lack of supply. Even local Microcenter has nothing and that was never an issue for 2600k, 3700k, 4770k......etc. I got a 7820k on release without any issues or price gouging. Why now?? Intel is garbage.

Probably holding back the lower binned chips to flood the market after the hype train leaves the station.They've done it before.

I feel like demand has always been the same for any new processor release.
It varies. Really depends on what users need, or don't.
I never had this much issues when I considered upgrading but couldn't because of price gouging or lack of supply.
I got my 8700K and then 9900K without issue, while the forums were rife with people complaining about availability. Either Newegg or Amazon, don't remember. Just logged in and bought. Also, this isn't 'gouging', which isn't really a thing, but a complaint against the same market forces that allow for lower prices.
Why now?? Intel is garbage.
Now is now. It's best to accept that there are forces at work beyond your control. If you need a CPU, buy what's available when and where you check at a price that you are willing to pay.

Why is it next to impossible to get a new Intel chip on release at MSRP? It was never this bad back in the day. I refuse to pay over MSRP. Even to today the 10900x is way over the $600 MSRP 8 months after release preventing me from upgrading my 7820x and now 10900k is out of stock everywhere and if available is way over the $500 MSRP. People are stupid to be paying this much money for Intel garbage when AMD is hundreds cheaper for the equivalent or better performance chip. I'm probably going to wait until next year to upgrade and get AMD who will probably not have stock issues or massive price gouging.

Scalpers and PC influncers.

I feel like demand has always been the same for any new processor release. I never had this much issues when I considered upgrading but couldn't because of price gouging or lack of supply. Even local Microcenter has nothing and that was never an issue for 2600k, 3700k, 4770k......etc. I got a 7820k on release without any issues or price gouging. Why now?? Intel is garbage.
Capacity constraint as they have admitted, due to failure of process node, it's worse than usual. They'd rather sell inefficient Xeons to the laggy server market.

Capacity constraint as they have admitted, due to failure of process node, it's worse than usual. They'd rather sell inefficient Xeons to the laggy server market.

Not quite sure what you mean by laggy? Xeons aren't precisely inefficient at the moment either, just not as many cores as EPYC but way better than they used to be (and since AMD has been missing from that space for so long, it takes time to move - unless that's what you meant by laggy).

There's a HUGE demand from the enterprise space right now, not only for server grade hardware but for consumer-grade (laptops/etc) to fuel the WFH initiatives that are still running strong across the board. Cascade Lake R is selling very well for the server side and taking a LOT of the manufacturing runs as well, since it brought 24/28c systems down to reasonable pricing, and there's a new wave of storage arrays using them too. Sucks, but pandemic, after all - and they're making them as fast as they can.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
It varies. Really depends on what users need, or don't.

I got my 8700K and then 9900K without issue, while the forums were rife with people complaining about availability. Either Newegg or Amazon, don't remember. Just logged in and bought. Also, this isn't 'gouging', which isn't really a thing, but a complaint against the same market forces that allow for lower prices.

Now is now. It's best to accept that there are forces at work beyond your control. If you need a CPU, buy what's available when and where you check at a price that you are willing to pay.

Hell, you still can't easily find x570 boards - but plenty of AMD cpus out there. Vice versa, can't find intel CPUs worth a damn, but boards? On shelves everywhere.

I don't actually think that CPU exists. It's made up.

The ones that went to reviewers were real enough. Unfortunately, those CPU's seem to be the only ones that have ever seen the light of day.

EDIT: I just checked Ebay, and there are several listed there. At least one of which is an ES. The others may be retail. However, all of them have buy it now prices of around $1,500 or more. Screw that. At that price I'd buy a Threadripper 3960X and be done with it.

The ones that went to reviewers were real enough. Unfortunately, those CPU's seem to be the only ones that have ever seen the light of day.

EDIT: I just checked Ebay, and there are several listed there. At least one of which is an ES. The others may be retail. However, all of them have buy it now prices of around $1,500 or more. Screw that. At that price I'd buy a Threadripper 3960X and be done with it.

I'm still considering a 3960 vs the 3950 for my WS build. Gotta get the new gamer built first.

I was mostly being facetious with that comment though :p

Not quite sure what you mean by laggy? Xeons aren't precisely inefficient at the moment either, just not as many cores as EPYC but way better than they used to be (and since AMD has been missing from that space for so long, it takes time to move - unless that's what you meant by laggy).

There's a HUGE demand from the enterprise space right now, not only for server grade hardware but for consumer-grade (laptops/etc) to fuel the WFH initiatives that are still running strong across the board. Cascade Lake R is selling very well for the server side and taking a LOT of the manufacturing runs as well, since it brought 24/28c systems down to reasonable pricing, and there's a new wave of storage arrays using them too. Sucks, but pandemic, after all - and they're making them as fast as they can.

think what he meant was that intel's still way behind on delivering to enterprise customers so OEM and enterprise are still their main priority over single cpu sales from retailers. they dug themselves into a hole they'll likely never be able to get out of by creating 100+ different sku's on the same process and overall architecture without significantly increasing production capacity.

I found someone with the CPU and will have the cpu on the 20th! w00t.. Will update this thread once newegg ships my maximus formula, and this cpu comes in.

Your signature is my favorite and nearly describes my first PC to a T.

If Intel was garbage you wouldn't have this issue.

Well, this thread seems to answer the question as to whether or not these would be total vaporware the way the Core i9-10980XE is.

Very... very late to the party here, but B&H has been sending me Inventory updates for months on the 10980XE, looked everywhere for it. Finally last week, B&H sent a final email that they would no longer be listing it. In the last 4-5 months, I don't think I've seen that CPU in stock anywhere.... so I've given up hope and would definitely consider it vaporware

Very... very late to the party here, but B&H has been sending me Inventory updates for months on the 10980XE, looked everywhere for it. Finally last week, B&H sent a final email that they would no longer be listing it. In the last 4-5 months, I don't think I've seen that CPU in stock anywhere.... so I've given up hope and would definitely consider it vaporware

I got the same E-Mail.

Hilarious. "Intel is such garbage WHY GOD Can't I buy one???" /wrists

Last edited:
What do your temps look like?

Surprisingly poor actually, considering I have a 280mm AIO and a cool room temperature. :cry: My AIO is about 4 years old though, so maybe it's lost some efficiency over time.

5.1Ghz @ 1.250v = 86C
5.2Ghz @ 1.295v = 97C
5.3Ghz @ 1.325v = Crash

Time for new / more fans!
(I wound up sandwiching mine for my 9900K... and well, it runs hotter than you're posting, so you're not doing too bad either)

3 shops have these in stock in DK...but you will not like EU prices 😜

$780...with a game bundle
Screenshot_20200731-070509_Edge.jpg

Surprisingly poor actually, considering I have a 280mm AIO and a cool room temperature. :cry: My AIO is about 4 years old though, so maybe it's lost some efficiency over time.

5.1Ghz @ 1.250v = 86C
5.2Ghz @ 1.295v = 97C
5.3Ghz @ 1.325v = Crash
yikes!! I'm using 280mm corsair h100i since 2015 and I'm in the mid 60's to high 70's using Cinebench or prime95 torture test at 5.0Ghz. If I use CPU-z I"m at 80C:( Gonna try some kryonaut thermal paste to see if I can get the temp down a few more degrees vs this arctic silver 5

Back