Hyundai Announces a Crawling Car at CES

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
At CES this year, Hyundai made a surprising appearance with "Project Elevate". Each wheel on the "car," if that's what you want to call it, is attached to an electric motor mounted in the hub, which itself is attached to a robotic "leg" that has 5 degrees of freedom. The concept can apparently use the legs to crawl out of ditches, up stairs, or over terrain you couldn't even walk over. Hyundai is primarily pitching the full size Elevate as an emergency response vehicle, but The Wheel Network also took a video of the smaller "Cradle" concept Hyundai had on display at the show. Thanks to cageymaru for the tip.

Check out the elevate video here.

Welcome to Project Elevate - an exploration of mobility and innovation that goes beyond the range of wheels. This prototype comes from our Hyundai CRADLE, a hub for corporate venturing and innovation business, which takes on the responsibility for securing Hyundai's vision of a cleaner, more integrated answer to transportation.

Be cooler if they just took a video off Crysis of the Exoskeleton...or was that called the "Nanosuit"?

Shrug. Cartoon video is cartoon video.

Make one floatable, virtually unsinkable with enough power to get passed the break from shore so I dob't have to wade out and cast, and I got a new fishing vessel :D

So I saw another picture, and realized this car still has a traditional suspension for "driving mode"

I'm kinda disappointed... a practical active suspension has been a holy grail of car design for a long time, and for a second, I thought Hyundai figured it out.

Does the 10 year warranty cover all the suspension, or is that a "wear item"?

If their engineering is on par with their rendering, they are not going anywhere...

I can't be the only one who cringed watching this.

If this was a production vehicle, I could imagine this at MOAB rock crawling with ease with the driver sipping starbucks, while those in their lifted Jeeps are stuck / rolling over blasting debri on their spotters. Then the spiteful Jeepers would pull the driver out give him a beating and torch his Hyundai.

Great concept
Be years before we probably even see a prototype of the suspension, let alone a fully working prototype

Should make parallel parking a whole lot easier. Heck, just parking in general.

Really take it to another level and the cab detaches and extends blades to become a passenger drone carrier.

I totally see this in a Bond or Kingsman movie soon.

There is a fairly extensive list of reasons why this design isn't likely to make if off the CAD and into production. Show me an actual working prototype that you can get past the very real technical limitations of material stress and I'll get excited. Until then this is just a "popular mechanics" type dream with little real chance of existing.

I will be interested when its more than just glorified concept art...

Back