Hyundai and Kia Cars Getting AI Voice Assistants in 2019

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Hyundai Motor Company and Kia Motors are planning on having AI assistants in their new cars starting in 2019. This new technology is going to allow all car systems to be controlled by more natural language and also allow them to utilize Car to Home features. Supposedly this assistant will have a vocabulary of 15K words and be able to carry on a normal conversation. This sounds interesting and I think they should just call the AI 'Kitt' and be done with it. (Knight Rider reference for our younger viewers)

Hyundai and Kia Motors partnered up with ‘SoundHound’, which is a company in Silicon Valley, and developed an interactive ‘voice recognition assistant service (Intelligent Personal Agent)’ that utilizes voice recognition AI technologies. This service will be introduced through new 2019 cars. Based on an interactive AI platform called ‘Houndify’, this service is able to send and receive calls and texts, search point of interests and addresses, manage weather information and schedule, control air conditioner system, sunroof, and doors, and provide Car to Home service.

Do you need a network connection for this to work? I'd really rather not have to have a cellular data plan for my car too.

Other than "Car to home"(since I have no idea what that's even supposed to mean) my 2016 Ford already does all of that. "climate 73 degrees" boom, sets it to 73 degrees. "find gas station" shows me gas stations, phonecalls and texts... phone isn't a big deal and text is just text to speech and dictation.

Last edited:
I can tell you that the voice control on my 2011 Tuscon is terrible (well at least for me with my native Pittsburgh accent) with that said I have had no experience with newer models.

Sounds stupid. Just support Alexa, Google Assisstant, and Siri and you are all done.

In the past i would have called this stupid. I bought a new Mazda 3 couple years ago which has some voice commands. I have to say I really like it. I know many cars have this, but the ability to use the Bluetooth to make a call is great. I just tell it who I want to call and it works.

That being said, it's a very basic system. I would love to have more functionality to keep my eyes on the road and hands on the wheel when I need to turn on the heated seats or adjust the climate control for example.

Curious to see how this turns out. Been a fan of Hyundai's work since I had my old 2004 accent. It may have been a turd, but it was a gold plated turd that didn't break :p

Far more crap for thousands more added to the price of a car. I prefer to keep my car simple and devoid of extra stuff, not only that but it pretty much forces you to ditch your car after 10 years when the electronics start to get flaky and surprise surprise they dont make those parts anymore. All that added junk adds about 800 pounds to the car or more if it's a SUV, plus it works as a great way for the car company to keep a eye on you.

Far more crap for thousands more added to the price of a car. I prefer to keep my car simple and devoid of extra stuff, not only that but it pretty much forces you to ditch your car after 10 years when the electronics start to get flaky and surprise surprise they dont make those parts anymore. All that added junk adds about 800 pounds to the car or more if it's a SUV, plus it works as a great way for the car company to keep a eye on you.

Uhh.. 800 pounds for an LCD screen and computer to run the system that's on par performance-wise with a cellphone? No.

The 800 pounds of crap comes from...
The 20 airbags cars are coming with
The 100+ pounds of sound deadening material in the panels and under the carpet(including the hood and trunk lid)
The 10 way power adjustable heated and cooled seats with massage function
The power liftgate, power doors, power locks, power everything else
The "premium soft touch materials" for the interior since no one wants thin/light/cheap plastic, so you get thicker/heavier/coated in more stuff plastic
The double pane glass for even more sound deadening
The dual, triple, and sometimes even quad climate controls adding to the complexity of the ducts for the HVAC
The A/B/etc. pillars that obscure the hell out of your vision compared to a vehicle from 30 years ago that are required to support the weight of the car upside down
The "beltline" of the cars being so high most people can't comfortably rest their elbow on the door with the window down, again due to safety requirements
The crumple zones everywhere(ever noticed how when you open a modern car door that looking from the exterior skin to the inside of the door card, that it's at least 6" thick?)
The 17"+ wheels that come standard on vehicles that otherwise would have had 14" wheels in the 80's, that aren't some super alloy racing wheels that weigh next to nothing(ford, honda, etc. aren't shipping with Oz Ultraleggeras)
The premium 12 speaker surround sound by b&o/bose/sony/whoever

But no, blame the infotainment system over the LCD that weighs a couple ounces and computer unit that in it's housing maybe weighs 2 pounds.

Uhh.. 800 pounds for an LCD screen and computer to run the system that's on par performance-wise with a cellphone? No.

The 100+ pounds of sound deadening material in the panels and under the carpet(including the hood and trunk lid)
The "premium soft touch materials" for the interior since no one wants thin/light/cheap plastic, so you get thicker/heavier/coated in more stuff plastic
The dual, triple, and sometimes even quad climate controls adding to the complexity of the ducts for the HVAC
The A/B/etc. pillars that obscure the hell out of your vision compared to a vehicle from 30 years ago that are required to support the weight of the car upside down
The "beltline" of the cars being so high most people can't comfortably rest their elbow on the door with the window down, again due to safety requirements
The crumple zones everywhere(ever noticed how when you open a modern car door that looking from the exterior skin to the inside of the door card, that it's at least 6" thick?)
The 17"+ wheels that come standard on vehicles that otherwise would have had 14" wheels in the 80's, that aren't some super alloy racing wheels that weigh next to nothing(ford, honda, etc. aren't shipping with Oz Ultraleggeras)

But no, blame the infotainment system over the LCD that weighs a couple ounces and computer unit that in it's housing maybe weighs 2 pounds.

I LOVE most of this stuff. :)
More safety? Yes please!
Quieter ride? Absolutely!
Cooled seats in Texas? Hellz yes!

If you thought I was just talking about the lcd screen then you missed my point. You are mentioning everything else I was alluding to, that no one needs, your going to die if you hit something big enough or fast enough no matter how many air bags they stuff in it. Cars weigh quite a bit more due to all that stuff and cost thousands more due to it.

If you thought I was just talking about the lcd screen then you missed my point. You are mentioning everything else I was alluding to, that no one needs, your going to die if you hit something big enough or fast enough no matter how many air bags they stuff in it. Cars weigh quite a bit more due to all that stuff and cost thousands more due to it.

Ok, let's leave out the luxury items like speakers, and sound deadening for a moment.

Sure, if you hit a concrete wall head on at 80mph, you're probably going to be dead no matter how many airbags go off. But do you really believe for a moment that in most accidents... t-bone collisions, rear-ends, off-center due to someone crossing into oncoming traffic, and so on... that the crumple zones, airbags, and the rest have done absolutely nothing to improve vehicle safety?

It's made very little difference, will it on occasion save someone sure. However wearing a 5 point safety belt harness would save more people then all that garbage. We put airbags in to keep your flailing body from hitting things all over the car since a lap and shoulder belt sucks for keeping you in place in a accident. Also if there is a large secondary impact the airbags will not help you as they are only good for the initial impact. Airbags also have killed people cause people dont sit properly with them, either too close or the wheel pointed at their head instead of their chest. Now we have all this collision avoidance crap on cars cause people dont want to pay attention while driving and why were getting closer to self driving cars. We keep changing things to keep up with lower skilled drivers, rather then just taking their license away. The cost increase to the vehicle is just not worth it to me, perhaps to you it is.

Back