HyperV Windows Back and Exchange 2013

Wrench00

2[H]4U
Any one else run in to Exchange 2013 stalling out when using Windows Server Backup on HyperV host?

I found the cause but I am curious if any one cam across the problem?

I understand this has no bearing, but having no issues under ESXi 5.1 using Windows Server Backup. I assume you've checked the logs? Possible VSS issue? Any issues if you do an Image level backup?

I understand this has no bearing, but having no issues under ESXi 5.1 using Windows Server Backup. I assume you've checked the logs? Possible VSS issue?

I am having no issues with VMWare this is HyperV only issue.

I have couple clusters running HyperV. When you run Windows Server Backup on the Host (not guest) after like a week the whole exchange server just stops working. Nothing in the event logs shows any problems either everything is working according to eventlogs. I reboot and everything is back to work.
I ran into a similar problem using veeam when indexing files on the guest. (vmware) it will just tank the server once in a while.
I guess by default windows server backup uses VSS and I believe the Mailbox Agent is sometimes overlapping with the backup causes the whole server to stall. No failed services no nothing it just stop receiving and sending emails, outlook clients show no errors either. I suspect its the VSS breaking.

What version of Hyper-V (Windows Server)? Are there any errors on the Hyper-V host's event logs after the guest goes offline?

We had a similar problem with Hyper-V guests and Windows Backup under certain circumstances, on Windows Server 2012. The issue was related to heavy guest virtual-disk utilization, which is pretty typical during backup. There were errors in the host's event logs which made the problem pretty apparent (and locatable via Google). Microsoft issued a hotfix, around July IIRC, which has solved our problem.

I'd give you more details, but I don't have the notes from the issue handy at the moment. But double check the host's event logs....

What version of Hyper-V (Windows Server)? Are there any errors on the Hyper-V host's event logs after the guest goes offline?

We had a similar problem with Hyper-V guests and Windows Backup under certain circumstances, on Windows Server 2012. The issue was related to heavy guest virtual-disk utilization, which is pretty typical during backup. There were errors in the host's event logs which made the problem pretty apparent (and locatable via Google). Microsoft issued a hotfix, around July IIRC, which has solved our problem.

I'd give you more details, but I don't have the notes from the issue handy at the moment. But double check the host's event logs....

Its HyperV 2012. Guests are all 2012. Exchange 2013 CU1 Nothing in the Event logs on the hosts.

Back