HyperTransport at 2000MT/s? Or 1ghz

Reuel

n00b
Thinking of getting a DFI Lanparty SLI-DR Expert with an Opteron 170.

But one thing confuses me. On the page I linked:

Front Side Bus: 2000MT/s HyperTransport interface

Um....I thought the LDT was clocked at 1ghz. What the frell is 2000MT/s?

And my second question: According to that page this is the speed of the FRONT SIDE BUS! That's insane! Last I noticed the FSB for AMD was 200mhz or DDR400.

Is there even any RAM that runs at 1ghz?

There is no FSB on AMD CPU's. The closest thing they have is the HTT interface which runs at 1000mhz on s939 CPU's and 800mhz on s754 CPU's (if I'm wrong...someone correct me).

RAM speed runs at 200mhz (DDR400 stock), but can be OC'd ;). AFAIK, no RAM except possibly some uber-high end DDR2 runs at 1000mhz...and some RDRAM ;).

I think it makes it to 2000 b/c of the DDR allowing it to be 1000 send and 1000 recieve, but I'm not positive.

ClearH2O said:
I think it makes it to 2000 b/c of the DDR allowing it to be 1000 send and 1000 recieve, but I'm not positive.

So they are just saying that the board is capable of DDR2000 even though there is no RAM that is capable of doing that? What's the MT/s then? Why don't they just SAY it can do DDR2000 or just say 1000mhz?

So basically we are sitting around on our asses waiting for the memory manufacturers to speed up their RAM technology? In the past, the FSB speed technology used to increase with the RAM speed technology. But now it looks like there has been a great jump in the FSB technology but the RAM just hasn't caught up!

I've seen the specs on DDR2 and DDR3. But 800 is still a long way from 2000.

Just think of the speed we'll have when DDR2000 comes out, though! :p

The Hyper Transport has nothing to do with the RAM. The 2000MT/s has nothing to do with RAM.

kirbyrj said:
The Hyper Transport has nothing to do with the RAM. The 2000MT/s has nothing to do with RAM.

Um...did you notice the manufacturers website in the original post? it says FRONT SIDE BUS. But that's right....the front side bus has nothing to do with the RAM. Oops.

How exactly do you expect your CPU to communicate with your RAM?

If you are right when you say the Opteron has no FSB, are you saying DFI is wrong on their product spec page (understandable if they are translating)?

Maybe this will help...
AMD chips have the memory controller on chip, which operates at 1000Mhz, that is traditional FSB. However, data from the cpu to the memory (memory bus) is still only 400mhz (200mhz DDR), AMDs onchip memory controller only officially supports DDR400 as that is the offical memory bus operating speed (controlled by the chipset). When you push the memory bus speed you also push the speed of your ram and your cpu, as this is the speed at which all components comunicate with each other.

MT/s stands for MegaTransfer. The memory controller on an AMD cpu operates at 1000mhz thus providing 2000 MT/s

(MegaTransfers per SECond) A measurement of bus and channel speed in millions of "effective" cycles per second. MT/sec is a rating of the actual, delivered speed rather than the speed of the interface clock. For example, if timing is derived from both the rising and falling edges of a clock cycle rather than one complete cycle, the effective rate is doubled: a 400 megahertz (MHz) clock yields 800 megatransfers per second (MT/sec). In this case, using 800 megahertz (800MHz) as a rating would be technically incorrect because it is not the true speed of the clock.

see http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/M/MegaTransfer.html for a little more on MT/s

Most Old school ocers still refer to the memory bus as FSB regardles of where the controller sits.

fiberoptik said:
MT/s stands for MegaTransfer. The memory controller on an AMD cpu operates at 1000mhz thus providing 2000 MT/s

Thanks! That explaination makes it all clear. I don't know why I didn't find it when I googled it. Probabally because i searched for "2000MT/s" instead of just "MT/s".

Do you know why AMD's memory controller chip only officially supports DDR400 speeds when it runs at 1ghz meaning it can support DDR2000?

If I were marketing this motherboard, those big numbers sound much more impressive than the reality that no memory supports those speeds, yet. But at least my motherboard could when the future chips are released.

Reuel said:
Thanks! That explaination makes it all clear. I don't know why I didn't find it when I googled it. Probabally because i searched for "2000MT/s" instead of just "MT/s".

Do you know why AMD's memory controller chip only officially supports DDR400 speeds when it runs at 1ghz meaning it can support DDR2000?

If I were marketing this motherboard, those big numbers sound much more impressive than the reality that no memory supports those speeds, yet. But at least my motherboard could when the future chips are released.

Again this limitation is provided by the chipset, ie Nforce4 as they provide the memory bus architecture.

Eulogy said:
Got me... I'm guessing he thinks I said DDR goes to 1000+... though... I didn't?

No, the OP thought the HTT running at 1000mhz meant that the RAM also ran at 1000mhz because he was confused by the term "Front Side Bus" when used with K8 architecture. I said that no memory ran at 1000mhz except for perhaps some ultra-high end DDR2 stuff, and then one person pointed out that some RDRAM also ran at 1000mhz, so I said, "and some RDRAM."

kirbyrj said:
No, the OP thought the HTT running at 1000mhz meant that the RAM also ran at 1000mhz because he was confused by the term "Front Side Bus" when used with K8 architecture. I said that no memory ran at 1000mhz except for perhaps some ultra-high end DDR2 stuff, and then one person pointed out that some RDRAM also ran at 1000mhz, so I said, "and some RDRAM."
ahhhhhhhh gotcha. Threw me a curve ball with the "and some RDRAM" post :p.

Kirb, you'll notice I was skeptical in my post that there was any RAM that ran at 1ghz. I was basically asking why the DFI spec page was claiming it COULD support 1ghz RAM when I thought there was no such thing.

Reuel said:
Kirb, you'll notice I was skeptical in my post that there was any RAM that ran at 1ghz. I was basically asking why the DFI spec page was claiming it COULD support 1ghz RAM when I thought there was no such thing.

Yeah, I understand. They throw around the term FSB like it means the same thing in the A64 world that it means in the Intel/Athlon XP world, and they never really tell you it's any different :rolleyes: (silly mobo manufacturers). Fiberoptik's description up above is "clearer" than I said though ;).

Although DFI didn't say anything about 1Ghz RAM I don't see. Kind of like how Intel's run at 800mhz FSB, but the RAM only runs at 200mhz (quad pumped nonsense). With AMD, the HT Interface@1000mhz is the HTT x 5 while the RAM runs at 200mhz (stock).

Ok. I understand now! :p

I wish RAM would increase in speed faster than it has been. If it was following the Moore's Law curve that would be wonderful.

I mean.....can't they at least get RAM to run at 1/3 the speed of the CPU? :D

In all honesty 200mhz ram is perfect as thier is no bottleneck between the ram and cpu running at thier proper speeds. :) No when you start overclocking, thats a different story.

No bottleneck? what?

Are we using the same math here?

just take a low end 2ghz processor. 2000mhz versus 200mhz. I'm leaving out the "effective" speeds because for both CPU and RAM that's based on architecture, i.e. DoubleDataRate.

Back