Hybrid PhysX with R9 ?

They have been having some success over at with it in some games.

It still annoys me that they put a greed only driver block in that prevented me from using my 9800GT for PhysX with my 4870 for rendering. That greed only related block may be why I still am not buying Nv cards that I originally stopped buying over the greed only block of SLI on Core2 Intel chip sets.

edit. LOL, Apparently you can not link or even put that websites name here on [H]. I guess they are banned. I PMed the info to OP. Use it or don't. I don't know, or at least don't remember why they are banned.

Last edited:
I had no problems running hybrid PhysX with my 7950 CF, I will try and get it working tonight with my 290's. I have a 9800GT that should be able to do it. I think the key is finding the right Nvidia PhysX driver as I know they disabled the functionality at one point if AMD drivers were detected.

Update: I would not try this. Having the Nvidia GPU in the system (driver have been installed the entire time I've had the 290's) broke the AMD driver, only display I could get out of it in windows was the cursor. Removing and re-installing the drivers did not help, I think I'm going to have to wipe the windows installation to get the cards to display again.

Is that just with 290's? Or jwith the latest AMD drivers?

I recently got a 7990 after using nVidia for years, and miss hardware enabled physics. I wanted to go with a hybrid setup but if the new drivers will break it, I wont waste my money on a GPU

thanks

I'd assume the cause is the drivers, but I don't have any older AMD cards to try it with.

I have the latest AMD drivers x-fire 7970s and a gt430/gtx260 with older nvidia drivers works fine:D on metro LL Borderlands 2 batman 2,

I only update psyx when steam pushes it through then run hybridize. so far so good best of bolth worlds direct compute and psyx.

I dont think you can its a NVIDIA GPU only thing now i believe.... cause their drivers

Update: I would not try this. Having the Nvidia GPU in the system (driver have been installed the entire time I've had the 290's) broke the AMD driver, only display I could get out of it in windows was the cursor. Removing and re-installing the drivers did not help, I think I'm going to have to wipe the windows installation to get the cards to display again.

I have a computer using a 7970 that's had a 650ti as a secondary gpu for over a year now and never had any issues. I find it hard to believe that nvidia and amd drivers couldn't exist on the same system in 2013, soon to be 2014. Windows 98 or even XP pre SP3 I could believe it, but I think it's weird people have problems with this. It'd be like having 2 different network cards and saying it causes driver issues.

I have been running R9 290 + 680 Physx.
Windows 8.1 Pro
13.12 AMD Driver
314.22 Nvidia driver.

Follow directions for each game to have GPU Physx

I uninstalled all drivers in safe mode with DDU.

Run PreHybrd Physx

Installed AMD Driver-reboot
Install Nvidia Driver -reboot

Run Hybridiz

Games work fine except any game with Physx 3.0

Demo run Fluid Mark
w7l4.jpg

GPU-Z Screen
eixt.jpg

Back