Hybrid dual video card ?

justbenice

Limp Gawd
Hi,
Are there anyway to setup Desktop computer to dual vga card like laptop? One weak card run when surf web, using word..etc .. And one power card run when gaming ?

yes, basically every card out there in the market since the times of Methuselah work basically that way.. that's why power states exist. low power states for idle/low power requirement (the so called 2D clocks).. and a couple of several power states for video, web browsing (With hardware acceleration, etc).. you can't really believe a GPU will stay at 100% power consumption all the time, or yes?.

yes, basically every card out there in the market since the times of Methuselah work basically that way.. that's why power states exist. low power states for idle/low power requirement (the so called 2D clocks).. and a couple of several power states for video, web browsing (With hardware acceleration, etc).. you can't really believe a GPU will stay at 100% power consumption all the time, or yes?.

Hi yes,i know about power state, but i am building a computer for music server and also gaming, so i don't like 3 of my VGA card FANs spinning even it spin slow. So i think i can have 2 vga card, one with passive cooling without fan, very weak and one very strong with good Heatsink fan.

What you want makes no sense.
If the fan runs at idle, putting a second card in wont make the first cards fan stop.

Get the EVGA SC+ ACX2.0+.
When idle the fan is off.
I heard mention some other cards can do this.

Pretty much every major AIB supports idle fans under low load conditions these days. The TwinFrozr from MSi, STRIX and DirectCU III from ASUS, and ACX 2.0+ from EVGA are the major ones. Until the card reaches a temperature threshold (typically 60C) the fans will not spin. At idle a card like the GTX 970 has no problem keeping temps in the 40C range without the fans (depending on heatsink design).

My Asus GTX 960 STRIX sips 8w at idle. The fan doesn't spin until I'm gaming, and then it's dead-silent.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_960_STRIX_OC/27.html

The only reason they use the dual auto-switching graphics card in laptops is because there's a big difference between the integrated graphics idle power, and the dedicated graphics idle power. This affects battery life when you're not gaming. The quest for better battery life means we do crazy things like Nvidia's Optimus.

But it's not enough for you to notice in a desktop. 8 watts is pretty much nothing - it's less than the power used by a 75w equivalent LED light. Even a smaller heatsink like the 960 STRIX is able to handle that passively.

Last edited:
Back