HX1000/Vega 64 Aqua

OldBuzzard

Gawd
I'm putting together a new Ryzen build and have the newer HX1000 with the option to switch between single rail or multi rail and a Sapphire Vega 64 Aqua and have a couple of questions.

First, which would be the better use of the HX1000. Single rail or multi rail?

Second would it be better to use two of the 6+2 pin cables and just use one connector on each, or use one cable and use both connectors? Also would that be dependent on whether I go single of multi rail?

Build is: Cooler Master MasterCase Maker 5, Ryzen 7 1800x (will probably OC), ASRock X370 Taichi, Sapphire RX 64 Aqua, 16 GB Corsair Ram, Corsair H100i V2 cooler, 2x Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD, Pioneer Blu-Ray burner, and an AFT Card reader.

Any input will be gratefully received.

You've got a system with a single Vega 64 in it and a 1000W power supply?

You have about twice the power supply you need. Run it in whatever configuration you want, it'll make no difference. For simplicity, I would leave it on single rail, but again, it won't actually matter given the power requirements of your system (which will likely end up at or 600W even overclocked). [H] hit 474W on their test rig when everything was OC'd; their rig is based on an i7 7700k, and the Ryzen CPU uses a little more power than that, but not enough to make a difference. You've got more 'extra' stuff - more drives and things - but again, not enough to make a difference.

Your PSU is overkill.

Yeah, I went with a 3rd option. Used 2 of the 8 pin cables and one of the 6+2 on each.

I know that the 1000w PSU is a bit of overkill, but at +/- 50% usage it's in the sweet spot for efficacy.

A 1000w PSU running a 600w load isn't going to use any more electricity than a 650w PSU running a 600w load.

Ryzen CPU uses a little more power than that, but not enough to make a difference.

You got that backwards. Ryzen uses less power than Intel 7700k and significantly less power than comparable core count Intel processors.

As to the initial post. Just use s single rail. Multi rail was a failed marketing practice. In reality it gave nothing beneficial and caused more issues than it solved because of improper load balancing among greenhorns building PCs. My cousin one among them —— twice...

You got that backwards. Ryzen uses less power than Intel 7700k and significantly less power than comparable core count Intel processors.
The review site I saw power numbers from was comparing highly overclocked

Actually, there's two problems with your video. Firstly, he has an 1800x and not a 1700 (which is what your video comparison is based on), which uses slightly more power. For example, the HotHardware portion of the video lists the 1700 as using 49w/132w (idle/load) compared to the i7 7700k's 54/152, which is indeed lower. But the 1800x uses 49/174, so still a little less on idle but a decent bit higher on load. Another example is TweakTown's review, which puts the load numbers of the 1800x just slightly higher than the 7700k. I'm sure there are more, but I didn't double check everyone of your video's numbers.

However, more importantly, I was attempting to compare *overclocked* power usage of the 1800x versus the 7700k, which pushes the numbers around a bit. This is because the OP indicated he was likely to overclock. The only sources I could find at the time comparing power usage of an OC'd Ryzen 7 compared to an OC'd 7700k put the Ryzen as the more power hungry platform, but again as I said in my post - not enough to make a difference when put up against a 1000W power supply.

I could easily be wrong, but I did (try to) do my research since I don't personally have a Ryzen 7 1800x to measure.

Back