a

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
I would got with the 1050 even just from a longevity standpoint. The HX1000 has probably seen a couple more years of usage, and technically the caps degrade over the time of usage.

FWIW I'm currently running a Thermaltake Toughpower 1000w in my system. That is relevant because it uses the exact same internal OEM design (CWT PUC) as the Corsair HX1000. It has been been flawless for me. I got mine about ~6 years ago, where it then spent the next ~4 years in my secondary computer. To be fair, it only saw sporadic usage during that time, so it had a pretty easy life. I ran an Antec TruePower Quattro 1000w in my main PC during that time. When I built my current 5820K computer, I decided to put my Thermaltake Toughpower 1000w in my main computer since it overall had a lot less hours on it. My 5820K (6 core processor) overclocked to 4.5Ghz with 3 overclocked GTX680s in SLI should represent a significant load for the PSU, and it does great.

One thing that is important to mention is that the CWT PUC design is essentially two smaller PSUs in one. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it is very important to balance the power draw of various components across the different rails intelligently.

The HX1000 has dual 12V rails, the HX1050 has a single 12V rail so you don't have to worry about which 12V leads are plugged in where.

What are you plugging into the PSU? If you're going Crossfire/nVSurround with high-end GPUs then that could be a consideration as you have to be very careful not to overload 1 rail on the HX1000. I have a HX1000 powering tri-Fire so I know what happens when you don't check the cables.

Is it is still a valid and modern design for the price point you can get it used for compared to similar 1200W counterparts?

Kind of impossible to answer your question unless you elaborate on exactly what you mean by "valid and modern design", as well as what price the PSU is being sold for, and how much usage the "used" PSU has seen. There is really nothing "bad" about this PSU design. They were fantastic PSUs when new and that doesn't change simply because time has passed. There have not been any significant changes to any standards since then, so there should not be any concerns about compatibility. The biggest potential downside is likely going to be lower efficiency compared to newer units.

Last edited:
Looking to get an affordable used power supply and was looking at either of these. If the HX1000 was priced cheaper than the HX1050 is it worth it to get it or just go with the HX1050? I did look at the AX1200 as a possible alternative but it's more expensive than either of those and i don't want the Corsair link-i versions.

I know that the HX1000 is based on a 2008 CWT PUC platform and it seems the HX1050 is based on a different CWT platform updated in 2011? Besides that is there any huge differences that set them aside?
The Corsair Professional Series HX 1050 is 79 bucks on amazon of all places....lol how cheap are you trying to go? You had me thinking it was super expensive or something. Im not so sure about buying used power supplies anyway? I just have never gone that route (ive had ps burn up right after the warranty expired)

The 1050 is also single-rail. I'd prefer to get a good multi-rail that has proper OCP over all the 12v rails. Also while it may be $79 that's probably in American dollars. Unfortunately in Canadian it's going to be much more expensive. I'm still thinking about going the HX1000 route or maybe an older 1200W power supply route (maybe an AX1200 but that's single-rail as well).

Most good multi-rail designs are sold by Antec. The digital Corsair ones can have individual rails too.

Honestly, unless your daisy-chaining splitters, you shouldn't need to worry about multirail vs single rail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back