HWUB: Radeon VII retest

Snowdog

[H]F Junkie
Hardware Unboxed, does a retest of Radeon VII. I remember in a post somewhere that someone claimed all the original testing was done with unpolished drivers, and that will up to date drivers it actually surpasses the RTX 2080.

Let's see how that works out. Skipping right to the famous HWUB combined 30+ games graph:

If you want to save a click. No significant change. 7% slower in the original review, 8% slower today.

Edit: Print article for those that don't want to bother with the video:

https://www.techspot.com/review/1848-radeon-vii-vs-geforce-rtx-2080/

Last edited:
Not that much ahead of the 2070 originally either even tho AMD marketing had it beat the 2080 at launch.

relative-performance_2560-1440.png

You guys are really beating a dead horse. It's a workstation card that was repurposed for gaming... It's not a bad card if you do more than game with your video card. If all you do is game on it, you can make out better with an Nvidia product in terms of price/performance. Realistically, a $500 version of the card with only 8GB of HBM2 memory would have been a pretty solid product in terms of bang for the buck.

You guys are really beating a dead horse. It's a workstation card that was repurposed for gaming... It's not a bad card if you do more than game with your video card. If all you do is game on it, you can make out better with an Nvidia product in terms of price/performance. Realistically, a $500 version of the card with only 8GB of HBM2 memory would have been a pretty solid product in terms of bang for the buck.

It's not us, or people like us that dragged the retest out of HWUB. It's AMD fans insisting that something had to be wrong with the original reviews.

People always overstate how good something is when swept up in the excitement of something new.
The main problem I see with the VII is that it is $700, which is the same price as the RTX 2080, but does not match its performance. If it were priced around $100 cheaper, I would likely consider it more. As is, why would I pick the VII over the similar priced 2080?

People always overstate how good something is when swept up in the excitement of something new.
The main problem I see with the VII is that it is $700, which is the same price as the RTX 2080, but does not match its performance. If it were priced around $100 cheaper, I would likely consider it more. As is, why would I pick the VII over the similar priced 2080?

If you need the memory bandwidth/size for some reason but don't want to pay workstation GPU pricing.

I have no problems with it at 4k. AMD never said it beats a 2080. They said it trades blows.. even that is a little bit of a stretch.

Rumors say that half of the card price is memory. So it leaves 350$ for chip, board with other components and cooler, packaging and profit if they are even able to make any on this card...

AMD is beating dead horse called GCN which was knocked out in its first round called HD7970 vs GTX 680
Normally one would expect they would release one more GCN series because all in all at the time GCN wasn't all that bad compared to Nvidia offerings and then move to completely new architecture or at least make some mayor changes (like Nvidia was doing all this time) but they are releasing still the same core design over and over again for 7 years straight. Maybe 7 is lucky number but to bet your whole division on cutting on R&D costs is terrible stupidity. If ATI did that they would perish. Though I highly doubt ATI would do that.

In any way for general usage RTX 2080 is obviously better but in the long run Radeon VII is fancier card to own ^_^

They show it as ahead in 3 games. 3 out of....hundreds? Thousands? Whatever go ahead and pretend that AMD only citing a chosen 3 games is indicative of them pretending to beat the 2080 overall.

Or. Check out the transcription of Lisa Su taking questions after the reveal and she outright says vs the 2080 they win some and lose some....sounds like trading blows to me.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/333...en-vega-ray-tracing-and-lots-more-at-ces.html

Surprised no one noticed this... the 2080 tested is not the same as in the original review. Its an OC'd, expensive Gigabyte Aorus that cost more than the FE. The Aorus boost clock = 1890mhz. The FE = 1800mhz.

Surprised no one noticed this... the 2080 tested is not the same as in the original review. Its an OC'd, expensive Gigabyte Aorus that cost more than the FE. The Aorus boost clock = 1890mhz. The FE = 1800mhz.

yeah? and where exactly it's stated that fact?.

That is uncharacteristically sloppy of HWUB. Though in a review of that card it doesn't looks like it ever scores better than 2% faster than the FE:
https://www.kitguru.net/components/...s/gigabyte-aorus-rtx-2080-xtreme-8g-review/5/

So it really wouldn't have changed the overall outcome.

Thats just a epic fail to use a non FE edition and say it's the same test, they just ruined their own credibility doing that. Simple fact they both are over priced.

Back