HWiNFO NVIDIA GPU Memory Junction Temperature (New in Version 6.42)

Two things from my afternoon testing:

1). The newest GPU-Z gives you the same information under "Memory temperature" in the sensors tab
2). I put an old AMD CPU heatsink (AM2 era maybe?) minus the fan and clips like the one pictured below on top of the rear portion of the 3090 backplate (near I/O) so it sat flat not on the cross trim. No thermal paste, just sitting flat with airflow from a 120mm fan on it. The heatsink became warm to the touch after a few minutes of mining to warm up the memory and it dropped temps a reasonable level at a much quieter fan profile (some 600 RPM less at least). I'm guessing that with a larger surface area of heatsinks and some airflow it would be fine after replacing the thermal pads. I get the pads on Friday.

img_2392_4.jpg

Edit: So what I'm thinking of doing is replacing my 240mm AIO with a down firing low profile CPU cooler (like a Scythe Big Shuriken 3 or something) and then putting 10-15 small heatsinks on the back just using the thermal tape. Then the side mounted fans that were being used for the 240mm AIO (CM NR200 case) can just blow air onto the heatsinks on the back of the card.

Last edited:
Two things from my afternoon testing:

1). The newest GPU-Z gives you the same information under "Memory temperature" in the sensors tab
2). I put an old AMD CPU heatsink (AM2 era maybe?) minus the fan and clips like the one pictured below on top of the rear portion of the 3090 backplate (near I/O) so it sat flat not on the cross trim. No thermal paste, just sitting flat with airflow from a 120mm fan on it. The heatsink became warm to the touch after a few minutes of mining to warm up the memory and it dropped temps a reasonable level at a much quieter fan profile (some 600 RPM less at least). I'm guessing that with a larger surface area of heatsinks and some airflow it would be fine after replacing the thermal pads. I get the pads on Friday.

View attachment 332915

Edit: So what I'm thinking of doing is replacing my 240mm AIO with a down firing low profile CPU cooler (like a Scythe Big Shuriken 3 or something) and then putting 10-15 small heatsinks on the back just using the thermal tape. Then the side mounted fans that were being used for the 240mm AIO (CM NR200 case) can just blow air onto the heatsinks on the back of the card.
How big is that heatsink base?

How big is that heatsink base?

80mm x 70mm. Here's a pic while I'm testing. To put in perspective, I can run 5% extra on the power limit and the card fan runs sub 80%. About a 10 MH jump also. Interested to see what happens with more/better thermal pads.
ot_ukK985si0bJIpejWdD6Okw=w897-h1196-no?authuser=0.jpg

If a heatgun (probably pouring out 500*F heat) can't kill a GPU with the heat sink fans disconnected -- then you can probably rest easy knowing it'll be fine running within spec. :)

Ok. I just repadded the card with a mixture of thermalright odyssey and gelid pads (what I could get my hands on). All 1.5mm and all over 12 W/mK per a few threads I was reading. Temps and fan speeds are ridiculously lower. Settings that used to have my memory junction at 102-104C and fan speed at 75-80% are now 92-94C at 40% fan speed. The metal backplate is now HOT to the touch as opposed to just warm. I could probably lower it a little putting some small heatsinks on it, but I'll play it by ear.

Ok. I just repadded the card with a mixture of thermalright odyssey and gelid pads (what I could get my hands on). All 1.5mm and all over 12 W/mK per a few threads I was reading. Temps and fan speeds are ridiculously lower. Settings that used to have my memory junction at 102-104C and fan speed at 75-80% are now 92-94C at 40% fan speed. The metal backplate is now HOT to the touch as opposed to just warm. I could probably lower it a little putting some small heatsinks on it, but I'll play it by ear.
Pics?

did you add any pads or just replace them where nvidia had them originally?

pics and links to pads? I used the pads that came with my water block, I generally run 90-92 on cool days with +500 mem while mining, and gaming around 65ish.

I did order these just now to increase the surface area of the back plate (which is already bigger than the stock one)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JLQL63D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1614822068023.png
1614821441081.png

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

I thought about it afterward, but I didn't take any pics. It didn't look that much different than the pic I posted above from the pics I got from here where Falkentyne (who is also a member here) documented how to do it. I'd like to think I was more careful and used bigger pieces of thermal pads though.

did you add any pads or just replace them where nvidia had them originally?

I added extras per the picture in the link above.

pics and links to pads? I used the pads that came with my water block, I generally run 90-92 on cool days with +500 mem while mining, and gaming around 65ish.

I did order these just now to increase the surface area of the back plate (which is already bigger than the stock one)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JLQL63D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

View attachment 335385
View attachment 335384

Here are the Gelid pads:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WWDT6RC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here are the Thermalright ones:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CGVZ4YG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I definitely padded more than what you have on that backplate. I used almost exactly three packs of pads. 2 Gelid and 1 Thermalright.

I thought about it afterward, but I didn't take any pics. It didn't look that much different than the pic I posted above from the pics I got from here where Falkentyne (who is also a member here) documented how to do it. I'd like to think I was more careful and used bigger pieces of thermal pads though.

Here are the Gelid pads:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WWDT6RC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CGVZ4YG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I definitely padded more than what you have on that backplate. I used almost exactly three packs of pads. 2 Gelid and 1 Thermalright.

You mean you did the VRMs etc as well?

Final results with
1). Pad replacement
2). Slim 120mm noctua fan underneath the exhaust fan of the card to blow through the heatsink
3). Old AMD CPU heatsink on the metal backplate with 120mm case fan blowing across

Memory junction temp - 92C at 45% card fan speed when ETH mining at 122MH (300W power draw). Normal gaming tasks weren't anywhere near that high in temps on the memory. This is in an ITX NR200 case. I'd guess with a larger case you'd get better temps.

Reactions: noko
like this
Final results with
1). Pad replacement
2). Slim 120mm noctua fan underneath the exhaust fan of the card to blow through the heatsink
3). Old AMD CPU heatsink on the metal backplate with 120mm case fan blowing across

Memory junction temp - 92C at 45% card fan speed when ETH mining at 122MH (300W power draw). Normal gaming tasks weren't anywhere near that high in temps on the memory. This is in an ITX NR200 case. I'd guess with a larger case you'd get better temps.

Unrelated but curious, what settings are you using to get 122MH @ 300w?

In MSI afterburner:

Power limit 85%
Core clock -200
Memory Clock +1250
Fan - Auto

Thx My settings are similar

85% power
Core Curve (maxes @ 1200max undervolted)
Memory +400
~ 285W , but memory stays cool @ 88-92 (Depending on ambient)
I get 113MH with that
core | Device #0-0 speed: 112.41 MH/s power: 286.99 W efficiency: 391.697465 kH/J

I've tried the memory all the way up to 1000, but temps go up to 96 then and I'm a bit paranoid about damaging this card :/
core | Device #0-0 speed: 118.63 MH/s power: 297.18 W efficiency: 399.185656 kH/J
Not sure it's worth the extra 6MH for the added stress on the memory.
But your temps look good! I'll toss those heatsinks on mine during my next loop flush.

Thx My settings are similar

85% power
Core Curve (maxes @ 1200max undervolted)
Memory +400
~ 285W , but memory stays cool @ 88-92 (Depending on ambient)
I get 113MH with that
core | Device #0-0 speed: 112.41 MH/s power: 286.99 W efficiency: 391.697465 kH/J

I've tried the memory all the way up to 1000, but temps go up to 96 then and I'm a bit paranoid about damaging this card :/
core | Device #0-0 speed: 118.63 MH/s power: 297.18 W efficiency: 399.185656 kH/J
Not sure it's worth the extra 6MH for the added stress on the memory.
But your temps look good! I'll toss those heatsinks on mine during my next loop flush.
I'm getting 114mh @ 278w locked to 750mv 1275mhz and +600 memory.

I'm getting 114mh @ 278w locked to 750mv 1275mhz and +600 memory.
For a 3090, you could reduce core clocks even more. 1100 MHz is enough (with sufficient memory bandwidth) to hit 120+ Mhash/s.

For a 3090, you could reduce core clocks even more. 1100 MHz is enough (with sufficient memory bandwidth) to hit 120+ Mhash/s.

Mine bounces between 1110 and 1170 at 120+. I'll have to play around more with the core curve.

Mine bounces between 1110 and 1170 at 120+. I'll have to play around more with the core curve.
I find it work best (with a bit of dragging and clicking) to get a flat curve at the desired clock speed. I ended up at 1125 on a Tuf 3090, though at almost identical hash rates and power usage compared to your 3090.

YlVLPfF.png

I find it work best (with a bit of dragging and clicking) to get a flat curve at the desired clock speed. I ended up at 1125 on a Tuf 3090, though at almost identical hash rates and power usage compared to your 3090.

View attachment 336032
you could just click the 700mv point and press L to lock it there, and set whatever frequency you like.

My EVGA 3090 KP mem junction temp is 84c with 4 smallish heatsinks and a fan as follows:

IMG_1471.JPG

Hashrate is 122 MH/s @ 298 watts. Core -150, Mem + 1200, power 70%. I'm on the LN2 BIOS. I don't bother with setting a curve.

Here are the Gelid pads:

1.5MM was enough? there is also 2 and 3mm options :)

1.5MM was enough? there is also 2 and 3mm options :)

1.5mm is enough on the backplate. You can't put too thick of a pad on the front side with the GPU because then the HSF won't be tight enough to make good contact with the GPU itself.

I think 3mm would definitely be too thick on the backplate, but 2mm might work in a pinch. The 3080 is completely different, and you might need thicker pads for that. I didn't do any research on that card (because I can't find one to try it out on).

1.5mm is enough on the backplate. You can't put too thick of a pad on the front side with the GPU because then the HSF won't be tight enough to make good contact with the GPU itself.

I think 3mm would definitely be too thick on the backplate, but 2mm might work in a pinch. The 3080 is completely different, and you might need thicker pads for that. I didn't do any research on that card (because I can't find one to try it out on).

It looks like most people are using 1.5-2mm even on 3080s, I will get a set and try it. Ty

Replaced pads just for the memory on an MSI Ventus 3x 3080 , temps dropped 20+ degrees on memory!
+1100 memory @ 84 degrees, vs +0 @ 100 degrees.
For reference, the Ventus 3080 needs 2mm, 1.5 the mem won't touch, 3mm the gpu won't make enough contact, there is no 2.5 to try, so 2mm :)

1617239608575.png

Back