Hutzy XS — Ultra Compact Gaming Case (<4L)

Of course, it would be up to hahutzy whether or not hes okay with collaborating with NCase

And visa versa…

Now, if such a relationship were to develop, and Lean Li were to become manufacturer; possibly they could flex their "we are a big time manufacturer" muscles & get the 500w Flex-ATX PSU moved along at a better overall price…? This, of course, would involve iFreilicht getting into bed with Hahutzy & Ncase…

And while they are at it, they could probably use the tool-less panel clips for smoother, cleaner, no-screws-visible side panels...

Can Hahutzy team up with Necere and release this case under the NCase brand, as the M1 Mini or something. It does seem like a natural step down from the M1 for people who want the smallest case possible while retaining a discrete GPU and minimal overclocking. Then we can have Lian Li manufacture it with aluminum and the same design language as the M1. Could benefit all parties.

NCase M1 mini does have a nice ring to it. Of course, it would be up to hahutzy whether or not hes okay with collaborating with NCase

I don't think that would work out. NCase M1 is focused on being highly configurable chassis and Hutzy Xs is nothing like it and making an M1 mini that is nothing alike M1 would make the same amount of sense as if we would make it along with Hahutzy and brand it "Sentry cube" or something like that.

Also considering the fact that M1 layout was cloned/ripped off by cougar QBX I don't think NCase wants to make even more competition for their product even if it's internal.

Finally teaming up with NCase on such case made by Lian Li could make it even more expensive: you would pay Lian Li's cut for their revenue, NCase cut for their brand and Hahutzy's cut on top of that. It could end up even more expensive than M1 while being a lot less complex chassis.

Apart from that, I'd like you guys to note one thing I've been asking Hahutzy about without proper response:

Test results look like a straight forward cheating to me. The GPU is obviously power capped by 20% to achieve this awesome 70 degrees Celsius temps while it should boost up to 80~84 degrees. The clocks in the tests were around 860MHz with 99% of load and pwr cap which is impossible since the card has base clock of 1050MHz+ and dropping below it would mean the thermal problem and the load would be around 80% for these clocks.

Since Hahutzy stated the card is not software capped and that he is going to investigate this long ago, but he didn't, i'd put my bet on that he indeed has capped the card to show off the awesome (and impossible) temperatures while neglecting the clock speeds putting his bet on not being caught because of the fact that most of the people don't get how boost and temperatures work in current generations of cards.

Bottom line here is: don't put your money on this case until it is tested and reviewed by a 3rd party.

I don't think that would work out. NCase M1 is focused on being highly configurable chassis and Hutzy Xs is nothing like it and making an M1 mini that is nothing alike M1 would make the same amount of sense as if we would make it along with Hahutzy and brand it "Sentry cube" or something like that.

Also considering the fact that M1 layout was cloned/ripped off by cougar QBX I don't think NCase wants to make even more competition for their product even if it's internal.

Finally teaming up with NCase on such case made by Lian Li could make it even more expensive: you would pay Lian Li's cut for their revenue, NCase cut for their brand and Hahutzy's cut on top of that. It could end up even more expensive than M1 while being a lot less complex chassis.

Apart from that, I'd like you guys to note one thing I've been asking Hahutzy about without proper response:

Test results look like a straight forward cheating to me. The GPU is obviously power capped by 20% to achieve this awesome 70 degrees Celsius temps while it should boost up to 80~84 degrees. The clocks in the tests were around 860MHz with 99% of load and pwr cap which is impossible since the card has base clock of 1050MHz+ and dropping below it would mean the thermal problem and the load would be around 80% for these clocks.

Since Hahutzy stated the card is not software capped and that he is going to investigate this long ago, but he didn't, i'd put my bet on that he indeed has capped the card to show off the awesome (and impossible) temperatures while neglecting the clock speeds putting his bet on not being caught because of the fact that most of the people don't get how boost and temperatures work in current generations of cards.

Bottom line here is: don't put your money on this case until it is tested and reviewed by a 3rd party.

As blunt as SaperPL is putting it, he does have a point unfortunately. Hutzy XS vs. the boost clocks on the official Nvidia GTX 970 page makes the testing very iffy indeed.

This might be why http://www.geeks3d.com/20141209/msi-geforce-gtx-970-4gd5t-oc-review/#stresstest
I also found a YouTube video of this card doing the same thing

Also from what I can find the Gigabyte 970 Mini has significantly better than the Palit blower SaperPL tested. http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/82765-gigabyte-gv-n970ix-4gd/?page=7

I don't know why Hahutzy didn't reply though, it only took a few minutes to find this stuff.

Hahutzy replied stating that he will investigate, but never mentioned it again. If he had found what you did he would be covered for the error in testing but he would have to retest the setup with updated BIOS. But he never did and this is quite important problem so he shouldn't have just forgotten about it.

Apart from that, 970 mini is a card that was released a bit later than 970 launch and thus the chance of it being affected by early BIOS bugs is really low in comparison to launch day releases.

Also if card shows pwr cap when power delivery fails then it might be caused by a faulty riser and I have told Hahutzy about this as well.

If Hahutzy figures it out and posts realistic test results, then I see no problem with putting your money upfront on such case if you're okay with the test results. If not, it'll remain fishy and in that case i would recommend to wait for reviews.

Hahutzy replied stating that he will investigate, but never mentioned it again. If he had found what you did he would be covered for the error in testing but he would have to retest the setup with updated BIOS. But he never did and this is quite important problem so he shouldn't have just forgotten about it.

Apart from that, 970 mini is a card that was released a bit later than 970 launch and thus the chance of it being affected by early BIOS bugs is really low in comparison to launch day releases.

Also if card shows pwr cap when power delivery fails then it might be caused by a faulty riser and I have told Hahutzy about this as well.

If Hahutzy figures it out and posts realistic test results, then I see no problem with putting your money upfront on such case if you're okay with the test results. If not, it'll remain fishy and in that case i would recommend to wait for reviews.

The video is from August 2016 on the same card Hahutzy used and shows the same behavior too so the Gigabyte 970 Mini might not have a fix.
But I agree, he shouldn't have just forgotten about it.

Oh, my bad. I'm browsing on mobile right now and I got focused on the article.

So it looks like we know the problem, let's hope for the updated test results then.

Sorry SaperPL, but I can't take you seriously. IMO, you are slamming Hutsy pretty hard, slamming any idea of collaborative work, calling his work fishy and recommending staying away from his case.
You did say "my bad", at the end here, but that isn't really enough of a correction or apology.

I for one, am looking for folks to chat with, collaborate on ideas and improve designs, --not a big "mine is bigger than yours" pissing contest.

SaperPL is definitely blunt with his words, but he was looking at the collaboration between Hahutzy and Ncase not working from a business/financial standpoint. I agree though that the fishy and not recommending the case was pushing it a little. I will admit I also may have jumped on the train too early saying it was iffy, but I at least tried to link the official Nvidia GTX 970 stat page with Hahutzy's test results.

Sorry SaperPL, but I can't take you seriously. IMO, you are slamming Hutsy pretty hard, slamming any idea of collaborative work, calling his work fishy and recommending staying away from his case.
You did say "my bad", at the end here, but that isn't really enough of a correction or apology.

I for one, am looking for folks to chat with, collaborate on ideas and improve designs, --not a big "mine is bigger than yours" pissing contest.

I'm slamming Hahutzy for not addressing the most important issue of thermal performance while moving forward with whole project. And I just warned you to not put the money on the case until he shows realistic test results or the case gets tested by a 3rd party.

And no, I didn't say my bad as an apology for all my statements, but just not noticing the 970 mini test video in ITX gamer's post since the post layout went sideways on my mobile browser. My point still stands firmly and I believe I have nothing to apologise for - Hahutzy either power capped the card to get lower temps or he didn't notice the problem initially and now he doesn't care to fix his mistake while still promoting the case with the unrealistically low 70 degrees temperatures under load.

I believe that Hahutzy, as the project creator, should strive to inform you as possible future clients about the performance of his product to the best he can, especially in context of crowdfunding, and negligence on the mentioned problem with the test results means either that he doesn't want to show you real results or that he is treating this issue too lightly and you should consider whether you are okay with giving him your money upfront because of that.

As for my comment about the collaboration between Hahutzy and NCase - I was addressing the idea from realistic standpoint:

A) Hutzy XS has nothing in common with M1 apart being an SFF case and therefore I don't think it is a good idea to combine those for the marketing purposes.

It could also hurt the NCase brand if they released "new" M1 that isn't really what the original M1 was and people would rush to order before realising that. If NCase had two products of the same format (cube) it would be even harder for them to reach minimum order quantities of each for the production runs.

B) as I said before - adding another company to the chain makes it even more expensive and unless it is something really outstanding like the M1 itself, then increased price only reduces the amount of people who will put the money on the campaign for it.

I don't neglect such ideas from the core though: I think that kimera cerberus/nova could be a great collaboration project with NCase since the layout/concept is really close to M1 and it could be named something like M1-XL. Also they wanted their own manufacturing in the US and cerberus ended up being overly expensive. Experience in marketing the product from other case creators could also help them since their rushed review on hardware canucks only made things worse.

And you guys jumped on the M1 Mini idea pretty quickly so I told you to hold your horses there :) You should wait for Hahutzy to see his view on that and/or bring Necere here and ask him about this collaboration idea.

Last edited:
The point has been brought up that it would increase the cost of the case if Lian Li got involved. This may be true, but I think there were some compromises made to the design to accommodate whatever manufacturer it was that Hahutzy was working with. (remember the long discussion about what shape the vent holes need to be?) These compromises might be able to be removed if a company like Lian Li got involved, and I would prefer a more expensive case that is of highest quality over a slightly less expensive case that is only mediocre quality.

Yeah, I would be down with Lian Li being the manufacturer. Most people who buy cases like this probably do not mind the price as long as it is a quality product that serves their niche needs.

And visa versa…

Now, if such a relationship were to develop, and Lean Li were to become manufacturer; possibly they could flex their "we are a big time manufacturer" muscles & get the 500w Flex-ATX PSU moved along at a better overall price…? This, of course, would involve iFreilicht getting into bed with Hahutzy & Ncase…

Well, I was working on the specs for the FSP500 with Hahutzy to make sure they fit the Hutzy XS, and Necere voiced interest in doing a FlexATX design some time in the future. I can't imagine LianLi wanting to take care of a consumer FlexATX PSU, but if they did, I don't know how they could possibly involve myself in it or why they'd want to in the first place.

If anyone is trying to visualize the size of a Flex ATX power supply - it has roughly the same footprint as an iPhone 7 Plus or a Google Pixel XL or another phone with an ~ 5.5" screen, and is 1.6" thick. Truly tiny.

Reactions: Jspr
like this
I don't know if Hahutzy is still on this. I've randomly been thinking about the possibility of a short 1080 and even a 1080 Ti. The PCB of the Zotac 1080 Mini is actually ITX sized, but the cooler protrudes past it to 211mm. I'd love to see someone take the cooler off of a Gigabyte 1070 Mini and put it on the Zotac 1080 Mini and run some tests as a proof of concept.

I also think an ITX 1080 Ti/250W card should be possible. If you use a tall PCB with a dense all-copper vapor chamber heatsink, liquid metal TIM, and a single quality pressure-optimized 140mm fan it should be possible without an unbearable amount of noise. No one will do it, but it should be possible.

Ramblings of a madman...

Last edited:
Reactions: Boil
like this
I don't know if Hahutzy is still on this. I've randomly been thinking about the possibility of a short 1080 and even a 1080 Ti. The PCB of the Zotac 1080 Mini is actually ITX sized, but the cooler protrudes past it to 211mm. I'd love to see someone take the cooler off of a Gigabyte 1070 Mini and put it on the Zotac 1080 Mini and run some tests as a proof of concept.

I also think an ITX 1080 Ti/250W card should be possible. If you use a tall PCB with a dense all-copper vapor chamber heatsink, liquid metal TIM, and a single quality pressure-optimized 140mm fan it should be possible without an unbearable amount of noise. No one will do it, but it should be possible.

Ramblings of a madman...

I like that thinking, I would love to see such an ITX 1080 Ti beastie…!

Hahutzy is there any chance I could get the CAD file you're working with? I'm starting to build my own ultra tiny case and any help, especially with dimensions/size/mounting of mobo/gpu/psu, would be greatly appreciated!

My intended design is pretty similar to yours but with PSU in front a la Dan A4 style for hopefully better cooling.

I'm sad this project died. I wish someone would make this case. You can now fit a 1080 in it, and with the upcoming 6-core Coffee Lake, and the new 400W HDPlex, you can have a powerful and quiet system in this. To me it's a better layout than the S4 mini, because it's more compact and you can easily put dust filters on it. CustomMod makes virtually the same design, but the quality of their products is sub-par, no offense. Hutzy, come back or let's have someone else take over.

I'm sad this project died. I wish someone would make this case. You can now fit a 1080 in it, and with the upcoming 6-core Coffee Lake, and the new 400W HDPlex, you can have a powerful and quiet system in this. To me it's a better layout than the S4 mini, because it's more compact and you can easily put dust filters on it. CustomMod makes virtually the same design, but the quality of their products is sub-par, no offense. Hutzy, come back or let's have someone else take over.

Definitely wish this was still alive.
CustomMod are indeed sub-par, some of the cases are also different than the specs say. One of my friends finally got his SFX one after months of waiting and he can't fit his SFX-L PSU in it even though it says it supports them, the motherboard standoffs were wobbly (didn't have nuts to secure them), and his GPU doesn't fit(too thin for the pcie bracket).
I wouldn't recommend getting the FlexATX one as a Hutzy replacement.

I liked this case so much that, after Hahutzy dissapeared, I ended up ordering the Custom Mod version. I'm really worried about it now because of the quality issues reported by those who got the first batch. I'll report on the build quality once I get it.

I liked this case so much that, after Hahutzy dissapeared, I ended up ordering the Custom Mod version. I'm really worried about it now because of the quality issues reported by those who got the first batch. I'll report on the build quality once I get it.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on it, and see pictures of your build if you'd like to share. I think they've been improving, but the manufacturing tolerances/quality are still pretty rough.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on it, and see pictures of your build if you'd like to share. I think they've been improving, but the manufacturing tolerances/quality are still pretty rough.

I posted my thoughts and a link to pictures over on the thread for the CustomMod Flex Mini at SFF forum. Short story: I'm really happy with it.

Last edited:
Back