HURRY - Micro Center - 12700K + ASUS TUF Z690 Combo - $350

Irritates me how good MC deals are.... it wouldn''t irritate me if I had one nearby :(

It shows the 'Reserve Now' to purchase now but won't take any card I use to reserve it. Makes me think they are shown 25+ in stock by mistake.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    129.2 KB · Views: 1
I live the other side of LA from micro center... and I drive a full size truck according to google maps it is about 1:45~2hr drive and round trip would be about 190 miles...not counting time / wear tear... general making me want to kill myself experience of driving all the way thru LA county gas would be about $60~ to go to microcenter and back... I would have to be very sure the deal was waiting for me before committing to a 4hr drive and $60+ in gas, and of course food ..etc that would go along costs would likely be over $100 to get there and back figuring lunch/dinner and coffee ..etc.. It is a really annoying drive as well, I almost never go into LA at this point staying out here to the north.

edit.. oh yeah and if you got home and realized you have a DOA part... yeah super...

I live the other side of LA from micro center... and I drive a full size truck according to google maps it is about 1:45~2hr drive and round trip would be about 190 miles...not counting time / wear tear... general making me want to kill myself experience of driving all the way thru LA county gas would be about $60~ to go to microcenter and back... I would have to be very sure the deal was waiting for me before committing to a 4hr drive and $60+ in gas, and of course food ..etc that would go along costs would likely be over $100 to get there and back figuring lunch/dinner and coffee ..etc.. It is a really annoying drive as well, I almost never go into LA at this point staying out here to the north.

edit.. oh yeah and if you got home and realized you have a DOA part... yeah super...
It just wouldn't be a MC deal thread without a post like this :D

They couldn't have done this earlier? I got in on the 10900k deal like 2 months ago, lol.

Looks like they’ve restocked both the board and the 12700K. This landing page from the Ad may be easier to use than the OP’s link since it shows both mobo and cpu individually.

https://www.microcenter.com/search/...&MccGuid=29CB31FA-9191-4B93-AD72-835C6907A855

0ACC67B7-0B3D-406B-8230-A955C571B7EA.png

The Ad from Friday says promo is good while supplies last but you may want to have the email Ad bookmarked in case.

8DD3B15F-4804-418F-840E-1A64A30E1FF7.png

I’ve had the 12700K in the wife’s PC for nearly a year and it’s been rock solid and hassle free (no OC) and more than enough for her various MMOs.

I live the other side of LA from micro center... and I drive a full size truck according to google maps it is about 1:45~2hr drive and round trip would be about 190 miles...
Where is "other side of LA" such that it's a 95 mile drive? Is LA really that far spread out?

Either way, next time I take the kiddo to Disneyland they BETTER have a good in-store only deal that I actually want :D

If you're building a brand new gaming PC from scratch, would you go with the 12700K or the new AMD 7700x? With the 7700x you could upgrade the CPU in 2025 or whenever AMD stops supporting it. I I buy the 12700K I feel like Intel will drop support and if I want to upgrade in 2-4 years I would have to buy a whole brand new motherboard. What do you guys think? I live right by MicroCenter near Madison Heights. By the way, they have an open box 7900x with 32GB ram for $499.

If you're building a brand new gaming PC from scratch, would you go with the 12700K or the new AMD 7700x? With the 7700x you could upgrade the CPU in 2025 or whenever AMD stops supporting it. I I buy the 12700K I feel like Intel will drop support and if I want to upgrade in 2-4 years I would have to buy a whole brand new motherboard. What do you guys think? I live right by MicroCenter near Madison Heights. By the way, they have an open box 7900x with 32GB ram for $499.
Everyone will have their own bias, of course.

For me - I am now a big believer in the value of the platform. Back when Intel had an HEDT system I rocked those for years. Now, it's AMD. AM4 let me upgrade to 5800X3D late in the game to keep it vital and relavant so I went AM5 when it launched. Now, when Intel releases the 14th gen you'll get the 15th gen so that has value, too.

The other big consideration for Intel is the flexibility. DDR4 or DDR5. If you have a nice DDR4 kit then that is savings right there. IMO DDR5 is not that expensive now versus a year ago...but I also go high end so I may be all out of whack with my opinion.

Where is "other side of LA" such that it's a 95 mile drive? Is LA really that far spread out?

Either way, next time I take the kiddo to Disneyland they BETTER have a good in-store only deal that I actually want :D
Los Angles is a sprawling ****hole.... I am some distance from LA County and microcenter is someways into orange county... however.. depending on traffic it is a 71~ish mile route each way or as would have been the case when this was posted due to construction and lane closures the best route would be 85miles each way.. I also do not have kids, which I am extremely fine with.. I could easily live the rest of my life without going to disneyland again...

So what would you do if say have a b450 amd build.. any upside to z690 and 1270k vs an AMD 5800xt?

Los Angles is a sprawling ****hole.... I am some distance from LA County and microcenter is someways into orange county... however.. depending on traffic it is a 71~ish mile route each way or as would have been the case when this was posted due to construction and lane closures the best route would be 85miles each way.. I also do not have kids, which I am extremely fine with.. I could easily live the rest of my life without going to disneyland again...
I drive 600 miles round trip to Micro Center through the middle of nowhere to the one in Dallas every 3 or 4 years, you can do 85 in CA.

I drive 600 miles round trip to Micro Center through the middle of nowhere to the one in Dallas every 3 or 4 years, you can do 85 in CA.
Microcenter does not have enough of a price delta to justify a 600 mile drive unless you maybe are retired and you're buying in bulk somehow. Between gas and your time, you should be losing money unless you are buying dozens of loss leader specific combos. I have no idea why someone would spend that kind of money and time for a computer or two. If you're buying $20-$30k of parts in one shot, there's better ways to do that. I'm a few hundred miles round trip and it's not worth it before my time lost.

Microcenter does not have enough of a price delta to justify a 600 mile drive unless you maybe are retired and you're buying in bulk somehow. Between gas and your time, you should be losing money unless you are buying dozens of loss leader specific combos. I have no idea why someone would spend that kind of money and time for a computer or two. If you're buying $20-$30k of parts in one shot, there's better ways to do that. I'm a few hundred miles round trip and it's not worth it before my time lost.
I have friends in Dallas too, MC is just a cherry on top but I also shop for many of my friends in AR. They pay me to buy them crap.

Glad this deal is still up, I just reserved the CPU and mobo for instore pickup. I went to MC the other day to jump on the 7700x and 32GB ram deal but they were all out of the ram so I couldn't get on the deal. I feel like this Intel deal is a much better value from the research that I've done (for gaming).

By the way, get a load of my current PC gaming setup, I feel like this CPU (and soon 6800XT) will be a huge upgrade, along with a nice 4K monitor:

i5 4670K (OC to 4.1GHz)
ASRock Z87 Extreme4 Socket LGA

G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) 240-Pin SDRAM DDR3​

AMD Radeon R9 FURY X 4GB GPU
Seasonic X-750
Zalman 320 cooler for CPU
24" 1920 x 1200 60Hz monitor

Couple questions:

1) What speed of RAM should I get for this Intel motherboard? Correct me if I am wrong but this mobo takes DDR4 and DDR5? I'm currently using DDR3 so I can't reuse it anyways. Is there a point of going with DDR5? Will it give me more fps over DDR4? Does the mobo support DDR4-3600MHz or just 3200MHz?

2) Any chance that I will be able to upgrade the Intel CPU in a year or two or am I stuck with the i7 12700K? I know they have faster CPUs for the motherboard but I might want something that will fit that's like 35% or more faster, not a chip that's 10% faster.

3) Can I reuse my Zalman 320 cooler for the i7 12700k? If not, what would be a good cooler? Either water or air cooled.

Last edited:
Looks like this is still available in MI location. I almost pulled the trigger but my 9700k still plays everything fine 🤷‍♂️.

Glad this deal is still up, I just reserved the CPU and mobo for instore pickup. I went to MC the other day to jump on the 7700x and 32GB ram deal but they were all out of the ram so I couldn't get on the deal. I feel like this Intel deal is a much better value from the research that I've done (for gaming).

By the way, get a load of my current PC gaming setup, I feel like this CPU (and soon 6800XT) will be a huge upgrade, along with a nice 4K monitor:

i5 4670K (OC to 4.1GHz)
ASRock Z87 Extreme4 Socket LGA

G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) 240-Pin SDRAM DDR3​

AMD Radeon R9 FURY X 4GB GPU
Seasonic X-750
Zalman 320 cooler for CPU
24" 1920 x 1200 60Hz monitor

Couple questions:

1) What speed of RAM should I get for this Intel motherboard? Correct me if I am wrong but this mobo takes DDR4 and DDR5? I'm currently using DDR3 so I can't reuse it anyways. Is there a point of going with DDR5? Will it give me more fps over DDR4? Does the mobo support DDR4-3600MHz or just 3200MHz?

2) Any chance that I will be able to upgrade the Intel CPU in a year or two or am I stuck with the i7 12700K? I know they have faster CPUs for the motherboard but I might want something that will fit that's like 35% or more faster, not a chip that's 10% faster.

3) Can I reuse my Zalman 320 cooler for the i7 12700k? If not, what would be a good cooler? Either water or air cooled.
1. It only supports ddr4. 3600 will be a good start.
2. The fastest cpu you will be able to upgrade to is the 13900ks.
3. No. Thermalright peerless assassin 120se from Amazon $35+ tax.

Looks like this is still available in MI location. I almost pulled the trigger but my 9700k still plays everything fine 🤷‍♂️.
Madison Heights store only has the 12700k for $350. No mb :(

Tempted on this.. but the gains for me would only be recognized on multicore (~50%), and some single core improvements(~30%).. I assume I could get $250 for my 9900K, motherboard (Z390 Aourus Pro Wifi-CF) , and cooler (212 Evo--a little lacking).. but I would need an appropriate cooler to go with this. I really don't use my PC for much any more than web browsing / email these days anymore lol

Last edited:
I ordered it online today from the Dallas location. Looking forward to picking it up tomorrow & upgrading my gaming desktop.

Back