Hunting the 4K unicorn. 32-40" flicker free. Need help.

MF_Kitten

n00b
I'm having a hard time finding the monitor/tv that fits my needs properly. I need to have a 4K monitor, and it needs to be big. My monitor isn't that close, so I need the image stretched out enough to see it well. I am currently using a 27" 1080p monitor, for reference.

I initially considered 32" 4k monitors, and if I had been happy with that thought I would have been finished. However, I lnow all too well how much nicer a 40" display would have been for this. It fits just right between my nearfield studio monitors, and it's the right size-vs-resolution, making the PPI really nice.

Initially I thought I was in luck, because 40" 4K options do exist. However, once I weeded out the ones with PWM flicker and BGR ordered pixels, I realized there's not a lot out there. Then I started looking at TV's, and the main thing stopping me right now is that damn PWM flicker.

How big of a monitor would I need to use 4k resolution with no extra DPI scaling in windows? Is 32" enough, or do I need the bigger screens? I've been eyeballing a Samsung 40" curved UHD TV, and I was super settled on it until I remembered the PWM flicker. I'm very sensitive to any kind of flicker like that!

Just use WinAeroTweaker and a bit of scaling. It is no big deal.

110DPI is not "really nice" PPI. It looks like crap at typical short distance viewing ranges of desktops. People are just accustomed to it on desktop monitors. 100-110DPI is why all the subpixel-rendering tech and hinting had to to be developed as kludge measures, due to fonts (especially serif typefaces) looking like crap at such low densities. Microsoft admitted as such with the change to Calibri from Times New Roman in Office 2007.

Just use WinAeroTweaker and a bit of scaling. It is no big deal.

110DPI is not "really nice" PPI. It looks like crap at typical short distance viewing ranges of desktops. People are just accustomed to it on desktop monitors. 100-110DPI is why all the subpixel-rendering tech and hinting had to to be developed as kludge measures, due to fonts (especially serif typefaces) looking like crap at such low densities. Microsoft admitted as such with the change to Calibri from Times New Roman in Office 2007.

It's really nice for my taste, anyway. I do love my retina screens, but I'm not picky. The screens I've been used to have been in the 80's range of PPI. The most important thing for me is really that text doesn't become really tiny. I don't want to have to lean in too much.

For a 4K monitor, I use a BENQ BL-3201PH. It's flicker free, pretty fast, but it's IPS. Mine ìs really good with both IPS glow and BLB, but it's hit or miss I guess with IPS screens. There have been threads on it here, as well as threads "looking for 32" 4K monitor" in general.

For a 4K monitor, I use a BENQ BL-3201PH. It's flicker free, pretty fast, but it's IPS. Mine ìs really good with both IPS glow and BLB, but it's hit or miss I guess with IPS screens. There have been threads on it here, as well as threads "looking for 32" 4K monitor" in general.

I've got a couple 32" monitors in my sights already, so I've got that covered. Both fast flicker free ones. What I'm still missing is a 40" option. That would be the PERFECT solution.

I did see a post about this just now, so my searching wasn't good enough probably. Sorry! It hasn't been updated though.

I had that Benq monitor. Fantastic monitor until I found a better one all around and it's my current monitor: HP SPECTRE 32" 4K. Look no further.

Back