Hunting or Fishing in North Carolina? Leave Your Drone at Home

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Lawmakers in North Carolina are considering passing a bill that would bar hunters and fishermen from the use of drones to locate game. The bill would also address other issues associated with UAV use.

The Federal Aviation Authority (FAA) is already struggling with how to handle an influx of consumer operated drones and it’s unclear whether its rules regulating drones will stand.

so are they going to outlaw sonar based fish finders now too? It's exactly the same thing if the purpose is to "find game". Why not outlaw hunting dogs too while we are at it?

Hell -- here in Texas we have such a problem with out of control populations of wild hogs, I could easily see armed unmanned drones used to thin their population. Yes they really are that bad, we've had land torn up and destroyed when they come through. They uproot EVERYTHING looking for food and are mean as hell.

1) The FAA doesn't have the authority to ban civilian use remote control "toys", which is really what these are. Judges have told the FAA this, and like the rest of the Obama administration they are pulling an Eric Cartman and insisting "I do what I want, you don't own me! I do what I want!"

2) In North Carolina, I believe this is a backhanded excuse, as what they are really concerned with is hunters being watched by animal rights groups via drone, and they don't want to feel policed like that. I simply find it much more likely that drones would be used to report on people for illegal hunting practices than actually used by hunters that are gaming for sport. After all, many hunters are going old school quasi-lowtech just to make it more sporting.

so are they going to outlaw sonar based fish finders now too? It's exactly the same thing if the purpose is to "find game". Why not outlaw hunting dogs too while we are at it?

Hell -- here in Texas we have such a problem with out of control populations of wild hogs, I could easily see armed unmanned drones used to thin their population. Yes they really are that bad, we've had land torn up and destroyed when they come through. They uproot EVERYTHING looking for food and are mean as hell.

But damn they taste good..

There is a guy on youtube now that just modded one of the new quad copters and it has a range of like 5 miles. He wheres a video headset and it's just amazing.

Update: Here is the Quad Copter he uses - DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Quadcopter with Gimbal-Stabilized 14MP, 1080p Camera

Here are some of his videos - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ5BNK47CY4

I'm pretty sure you guys will be shocked at the range / quality

A blip on a screen is an approximate location, a gps enabled camera gives an exact location with video. Not even close to the same thing.

So, you need drones to kill semi-domestic hogs now? Do drones with FLIR help you to connect to the pure and simple ways of your forebears?

Have feral hogs found a new way to increase fecundity lately?
What's the source of this porcine population explosion in the last 5-8 years? From reading the shooting magazines, there seems to be billions of them tearing up all the habitable and arable lands of Texas and running the poor cotton and corn farmers to ruination.

Now I know why ammunition is so expensive these days - The only thing saving Texas from sinking under the weight of all those semi-wild hogs is the billions and billions of rounds of small arms fire brought to bear by skilled Texans serving us all.

What's the source of this porcine population explosion in the last 5-8 years? From reading the shooting magazines, there seems to be billions of them tearing up all the habitable and arable lands of Texas and running the poor cotton and corn farmers to ruination.

What's happened in the last 5-8 years is that the price of corn has gone up 200%-300% (due to demand for ethanol). The feral hog population is basically capped by their food supply which is primarily agricultural crops, ie: corn. So as we grow more corn to deal with the increased demand we get proportionally more hogs.

There are different types of corn crops. Commercial and consumer, etc. Prices for corn at the grocery store has remained steady for a very long time. I just wanted to point that out.

This is so sad. We Americans are so lazy and fat that we don't even get the thrill of the hunt anymore. Now we need everything handed to us. How do these so called "hunters" live with themselves? Why don't they just skip the hunting process and just buy the meat from the supermarket like they already do.

So, you need drones to kill semi-domestic hogs now? Do drones with FLIR help you to connect to the pure and simple ways of your forebears?

Now I know why ammunition is so expensive these days - The only thing saving Texas from sinking under the weight of all those semi-wild hogs is the billions and billions of rounds of small arms fire brought to bear by skilled Texans serving us all.

LOL with the Texas hate. Funny however!

No need for drones to kill hogs. And calling the feral hog issue here and in the south US in general "semi-wild" is quite the understatement. Very mean, very powerfull animals when they get to the 100+ pound range. Very destructive. Yet still walking, gamey tasting bacon.

Problem is when you have 1000's of them to kill and the government has outlawed the typical high explosives you might prefer, you are only left with a rich buddy and a helicopter, or a 1/2 acre trap to eradicate enough at a time to make a dent.

You'll thank us for all our bullets one day! :D

And i'd imagine the "hunters" in NC using drones are VERY large BIG money spreads with 5000$ a gun hunters coming on to be the lazy typical american business man suits who dont have time to actually hunt and get more of a kick out the picture they get with a dead animal they "hunted" as long as it properly shows off the 2000$ in gear they bought.

Moreso, it seems like they are squashing a loophole for people using drones for other reasons.

There isn't a hunter alive that would ever bitch about not being able to use a drone to hunt. 100% of them would look at you and ask why in the hell you would do such a thing.

I live on the eastern escarpment of the Blue Ridge Mountains in the western part of North Carolina. My area has quite a few bear hunters and as much money as some of these guys spend on their dogs and tracking equipment, I could definitely see some of the wealthier ones using a drone if it would "help" them. The terrain would definitely be a challenge and excellent practice for practicing on a quad copter, etc.

So this won't spook the game at all... big quad (or octo) copter making a loud WRAAAAAAAAAAARRAAANNNNNG sound?

There is a guy on youtube now that just modded one of the new quad copters and it has a range of like 5 miles. He wheres a video headset and it's just amazing.

Update: Here is the Quad Copter he uses - DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Quadcopter with Gimbal-Stabilized 14MP, 1080p Camera

I'm pretty sure you guys will be shocked at the range / quality
wow, that's incredible. If he put on a 16:9 crop one could easily mistake some of parts of that video as though a recording from a Hollywood-level studio for a movie.

So this won't spook the game at all... big quad (or octo) copter making a loud WRAAAAAAAAAAARRAAANNNNNG sound?
If the load isn't too great and you're using large propellers, its unlikely they would hear it at any reasonable altitude. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4pXi2y9Pgc

The ones that are really loud are using small blades or having to pull up a lot of weight to move mucho air.
sixfootduo said:

Sure its not software stabilized too?

There are different types of corn crops. Commercial and consumer, etc. Prices for corn at the grocery store has remained steady for a very long time. I just wanted to point that out.

Uh no.

A pound of frozen corn went from $.99 to $1.79.

Some are quite loud, but many of them would be quiet enough at altitude to be useful in tracking game.
Though I imagine a PETA like group might just pick up large gasser to really make some noise. I suspect that is what it might have been aimed at.
Besides, in them hills, you might lose your quad to a shiner or a recreational grower.;)

As if using a rifle ever took any skill to kill an animal in the first place. Pretty sure hunters will love this since it means more dead animals to kneel over and smile for the camera.

This is so sad. We Americans are so lazy and fat that we don't even get the thrill of the hunt anymore. Now we need everything handed to us. How do these so called "hunters" live with themselves? Why don't they just skip the hunting process and just buy the meat from the supermarket like they already do.

Americans are pretty fat and lazy, wanting to rid golf carts to various events in large parking lots. And in strip malls will drive from one store to another in the same parking lot. But man, in areas that are excessive in deer population I wouldn't have a problem using a drone for some good juicy venison. Though I haven't hunted in years, it's not just a sport, but also a great source of grass feed meat on the cheap! (admittedly it's possible 'on the cheap' might not be feasible with a drone). Unless the animal is a terrible pest, it should be used if killed.

Problem is when you have 1000's of them to kill and the government has outlawed the typical high explosives you might prefer/QUOTE]

It's sad you don't realize how crazy your line of thought is. And no, it's not funny. It's pretty scary actually.

I'm a Registered Land Surveyor who would like to fly LIDAR from a drone instead of a Cessna, but am not currently allowed to by FAA. Kind of a ball-buster actually...

Good of corn farmers to not only be subsidized so extensively, but to successfully externalize their pest problems, BTW.
Don't let anyone tell ya America doesn't support its agribusiness corporations! :D

What's happened in the last 5-8 years is that the price of corn has gone up 200%-300% (due to demand for ethanol). The feral hog population is basically capped by their food supply which is primarily agricultural crops, ie: corn. So as we grow more corn to deal with the increased demand we get proportionally more hogs.

I don't see how pigs are a problem when you can just kill and eat them. It's free bacon.

As a fisherman and occasional hunter, I personally consider the use of these devices a tools to "harvest" fish or game. It may sound silly and outdated but I derive more satisfaction from hunting and fishing if I utilize what limited guile and cunning I have. As for dogs, here in Virginia, the use of dogs for a hunt is widely viewed as a tool for the lowest from of scumbags that "hunt".

I don't see how pigs are a problem when you can just kill and eat them. It's free bacon.
They travel in packs and are hard to find, and baiting with poison is illegal due to collateral damage with desired wildlife, plus they have a super sense of smell and can avoid them anyway. When you do find them, they tend to bolt and so you just get a few, and they reproduce with large litters.

I'm a Registered Land Surveyor who would like to fly LIDAR from a drone instead of a Cessna, but am not currently allowed to by FAA. Kind of a ball-buster actually...
The FAA has no authority in this regard, the courts have said so. Unfortunately, they are assuming authority anyway, so peeps have to take em to court which isn't worth most people's time. Really rediculous how they overstep their authority KNOWINGLY since the courts have told them multiple times now to STFU.

Of course a lot of big business is behind them, because virtually anyone can afford drones that can't afford expensive aircraft. Think of how many people wouldn't bother turning on Fox News if they could go online and get virtually real-time footage of any major event from various civillians just tossing high quality cameras into the air. And they'd be getting unfiltered REAL news of say the Arab Spring instead of just the things that the government and major news outlets have shaken hands on what they are allowed to report on.

That's sort of the problem. They're formerly domesticated pigs that became feral. We bred them to eat anything, grow fast, and breed like rabbits. Unless you wipe them out, a handful of them could repopulate a region very quickly.

Does anybody here think the FAA should have authority over drones? We're not talking about your Tyco helicopter that flies 20 feet around your back yard here. We're talking about devices that can interfere with aircraft. I cant go driving an RC car around the freeway amidst traffic can i? A cessna flying 500 feet over a forest could have disastrous results flying into a drone some moron is goofing around with.

Back