Hunt: Showdown on Sale $20 on Steam

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Not so much Tech News as something I wanted to share as it is a favorite of mine. I have played Hunt for well over 1K hours since it came out. It is not for those looking for a casual gaming experience. It is a brutally hardcore shooter, that now has a little bit softer non-insta-death/loss intro for new players. Crytek figured out that too many folks were rage quitting and never coming back to the game. It will piss you off, but can be extremely rewarding as well. Also now has much better player matching as well so you don't get thrown into games with much higher skill level players. Very much worth $20 while it is on sale. Crytek graphics that are beautiful and will put the best GPU to the test if you turn everything up!

1626819460963.png

You can play solo, but it is a bitch to do so. You generally have six teams of two players on the map, or four teams of three, depending on if you select 3-player grouping. You head out in to the swamps of Louisiana, find clues to the boss on the map, kill the boss, collect the boss bounty, then get to an extract point and you win. It is that easy. LOL.

Not so much Tech News as something I wanted to share as it is a favorite of mine. I have played Hunt for well over 1K hours since it came out. It is not for those looking for a casual gaming experience. It is a brutally hardcore shooter, that now has a little bit softer non-insta-death/loss intro for new players. Crytek figured out that too many folks were rage quitting and never coming back to the game. It will piss you off, but can be extremely rewarding as well. Also now has much better player matching as well so you don't get thrown into games with much higher skill level players. Very much worth $20 while it is on sale. Crytek graphics that are beautiful and will put the best GPU to the test if you turn everything up!

View attachment 376946

You can play solo, but it is a bitch to do so. You generally have six teams of two players on the map, or four teams of three, depending on if you select 3-player grouping. You head out in to the swamps of Louisiana, find clues to the boss on the map, kill the boss, collect the boss bounty, then get to an extract point and you win. It is that easy. LOL.

Question. I’ve seen lots of gameplay but never looked into the game mechanics. Is it like left 4 dead where the opposing team plays mobs, or are all the mods AI?

Thanks for the heads up.

I have been interested in this ever since it came out, but never had the time to check it out.

I don't really have much time for multiplayer games anymore, so I have been working through my single player backlog for the last 3-4 years.

I may just pick it up so I have it if I decide to check it out when I run out of single player titles and get desperate :p

the game looks great. I've wanted to pick it up, but don't have a friend I want to play with. Also, it looks like they have add-on content that keeps adding to the price of the game.

the game looks great. I've wanted to pick it up, but don't have a friend I want to play with. Also, it looks like they have add-on content that keeps adding to the price of the game.
Add on stuff if 100% cosmetic. Nothing gives you an advantage tactically in the game. Zero play to win stuff is sold. Devs have been really good about that.

Question. I’ve seen lots of gameplay but never looked into the game mechanics. Is it like left 4 dead where the opposing team plays mobs, or are all the mods AI?
Teams are competing for the same boss bounty/bounties on a map. Zombie apocalypse set in the 1890s. Zambos are all AI.

Guns used are fairly true to the time era. Guns for the most part are iron sights. So, no bullet drop in the game (since you could not see your target then with iron sights), however bullets do have different rates of travel and carry different damage out to distances. And they have included a bunch of new types of ammo lately, but I have not played much of those.

How is the community? I don’t know anyone who plays, so I guess I would be picking up with rando’s. How is that experience?

so no more perma-death?
Oh yeah, still perma-death, but Crytek changed it up for noobs. Up till a certain level, you don't lose your Hunter and all your guns etc if you get popped. Which understandably makes sense. I am glad they made that change.

How is the community? I don’t know anyone who plays, so I guess I would be picking up with rando’s. How is that experience?
Hit and miss like with any other game. Overall I would say that my rando experience is about 80% positive. It is not that run into a bunch of assholes playing the game, what is "bad" is when you get paired up with someone that has a totally different playing style. But you learn to adapt. If I get paired up with some yocal that wants to do nothing but hide in a bush and wait for the easy play, I will just head off on my own. LOL.

Hit and miss like with any other game. Overall I would say that my rando experience is about 80% positive. It is not that run into a bunch of assholes playing the game, what is "bad" is when you get paired up with someone that has a totally different playing style. But you learn to adapt. If I get paired up with some yocal that wants to do nothing but hide in a bush and wait for the easy play, I will just head off on my own. LOL.
Lol I know what you mean. Are you penalized for leaving a match?

Leaving game made you lose some stuff IIRC, don't know how it is now. You could repetitively play, but because you left the so called Hunt, you came back with less gear available at your arsenal. Like I said though, I'm not sure if it still works in this way.

If you just turn it off you will lose your Hunter and inventory, but if you head to an extraction point, there are always 3 of those, you just end the match "early" with no penalties.

Add on stuff if 100% cosmetic. Nothing gives you an advantage tactically in the game. Zero play to win stuff is sold. Devs have been really good about that.
Thanks. That's good to know. I may have to pick up this game. They can sell all the cosmetics they want as long as my weapons will work the same.

its on for 50-61% off depending on pack bought, halloween sale. link in op shows your local price for the basic pack, $27CAN up here.

Back