Hunt Showdown Is an Aural and Visual Tech Masterpiece

cageymaru

Fully [H]
I love playing Hunt Showdown as it is visually and aurally stunning. The sense of being in a swamp surrounded by enemies that can end your life in a second is accentuated by the threat of human competitors in this no-holds-barred death-match. We use Hunt Showdown to test PC gaming headsets because the audio is so crisp, precise and pinpoint perfect in game. Digital Foundry showcases Crytek's CryEngine technology utilized in the game and the performance to be expected in various PC setups.

I played the game during it's alpha (or maybe it was beta) period...rough around the edges but loads of potential...they need bigger maps and more varied landscapes...graphics look impressive but after seeing the same swampy settings over and over it starts to feel same-y...I wish they expand gameplay elements as well beyond hunt for clues (which are way too easy to find), find monster, kill monster, escape from area...something seems to be missing that would take this game over the top

I’ve probably got only a dozen hours in it so far as I just recently picked it up. I’ve been playing a match every couple nights with my brother. It’s the best game I’ve played in a few years, IMO. It’s really exhilarating, and the hardcore permadeath character element adds some depth and caring to the FPS genre that is traditionally missing.

The foliage physics are top notch. You can use it to your advantage because vegetation movement gives away your position if you move, even when you are crouched and silent.

https://reddit.app.link/7256zW1uuO

I bought this during the summer sale and quickly refunded due to a random 2-3 second long pause every few minutes of gameplay. Some big performance issue a lot of us had. Refunded, but I hope they get it fixed. The issue had been known in a huge forum thread for 5 weeks at least though.

Looks Good, Tired Gameplay. If you're into round based shooters, I get it. But I've seen enough watching the "It's past 6pm, Kyle is watching Murder, She Wrote" feeds that HardOCP provides. Pretty but the game is not something I gravitate to. Give me that game in a SP campaign and I'll find a reason to love it, though....

You know I haven't played it with headphones yet, but playing it on a denon x1300 with a pair of infinity r162's sounds creepy as hell.

Looks Good, Tired Gameplay. If you're into round based shooters, I get it. But I've seen enough watching the "It's past 6pm, Kyle is watching Murder, She Wrote" feeds that HardOCP provides. Pretty but the game is not something I gravitate to. Give me that game in a SP campaign and I'll find a reason to love it, though....
It’s not tired gameplay. It’s refreshingly different and intense. It’s best described as PubG meets Left for Dead with Old West weapons with a realism that occurs from both the permadeath model and the inability to know how many opponents remain alive on the map or in pursuit of the same objectives.

Give it a try with a good coop partner and I bet you won’t think it’s tired.

Well to be honest this was more about the technical prowess of the developers in crafting the game. I hope that more choose CryEngine in the future as it still holds up against Unreal and others as shown in the video. Having more high end game engines around creates a competition to add more features. Which benefits PC gamers as a whole. :)

But yes, I agree that these types of games aren't for everyone. But I think everyone can appreciate the hard work that went into creating the audio clues and visuals in the game. I've never heard a game with this level of positional sound quality and figured that others might be interested in the topic.

Well to be honest this was more about the technical prowess of the developers in crafting the game. I hope that more choose CryEngine in the future as it still holds up against Unreal and others as shown in the video. Having more high end game engines around creates a competition to add more features. Which benefits PC gamers as a whole. :)

But yes, I agree that these types of games aren't for everyone. But I think everyone can appreciate the hard work that went into creating the audio clues and visuals in the game. I've never heard a game with this level of positional sound quality and figured that others might be interested in the topic.

It is refreshing, audio as of late seems to be less of a priority of game developers in my opinion lately. A game should be just as pleasing to the ears as the eyes. I guess since your average gamer uses just cheap desktop speakers, adding in subtle audio cues would go unnoticed by the majority. I like when games push the limits and still end up fun!

It is refreshing, audio as of late seems to be less of a priority of game developers in my opinion lately. A game should be just as pleasing to the ears as the eyes. I guess since your average gamer uses just cheap desktop speakers, adding in subtle audio cues would go unnoticed by the majority. I like when games push the limits and still end up fun!

I agree. I remember playing Battlefront (the new one) a few years back and was amazed of how good the sounds were.
I still get goosebumps when I hear the Thermal Imploders lol!
Once you get a sound system, you realize how much you were missing out and never go back.

sounds like Tarkov. WTF kind of game requires you to use sound to play well and then doesn't have 3d sound? That and things sound like them come from far away when they are right next to you and visa versa.

sounds like Tarkov. WTF kind of game requires you to use sound to play well and then doesn't have 3d sound? That and things sound like them come from far away when they are right next to you and visa versa.
The game sound is done in 3D binaural audio. With a good 7.1 tech the sound is incredible stunning. And it tells you when you start it up it should be played with headphones for best results. Not Tarkov play at all...

Binaural recording is stereo recording using two mics.
So what’s good 7.1 tech for binaural audio?
Because it used two mics does not mean it is recorded the same. Read up on binaural. Easier for two speaker 7.1 to understand the sound placement better. Let me know if I am wrong. Would like to know more.

Back