Humorous CNC Generals Video

EvilKamui

n00b
Ok I know it may be presumptuous to say it seeing as how my friend Evil Juggalo and I made it but you guys might find it funny. We were making a "Public Service Announcement" playing Generals to show the downside of massing one unit. Turned out pretty funny, its about 2 mins, if you watch, watch the whole thing. The music is what it is for a reason.

EDIT: Full Screen it so you can see whats going on better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBYOh_T3Liw

Yea, btw before any serious game arguments about Generals arise I must remind everyone it's meant as a comedy.

haha cool, i gotta try that mass combat bike attack (except in a smarter way)

I can't watch the video from work, what is it? Just like a bike spam or something?

That actually works great if you are the Demolition Gen with the explosive unit upgrade.

Json23 said:
I can't watch the video from work, what is it? Just like a bike spam or something?

That actually works great if you are the Demolition Gen with the explosive unit upgrade.

Part of it is, but a lot of it is flying bodies. Like, literally.

Gonna have to watch this when I get home, the site is blocked at work.

I just picked up Zero Hour again after spending a while on other stuff. There haven't been any good RTS games lately...I can't wait for Supreme Commander.

Nope, we did everything as anyone else could do it.. I didnt even know u could change stuff like that... might look into that.. but that was a fun movie to make, we will probbably be making some more stuff like these soon cause they are getting a better reaction than we thought .. Thnx guys

-Evil Juggalo

Lol, I watched this at home this morning before I came in.

I LOVE IT, when people rush with all one unit. It makes it so easy to crush the enemy and rack up some general points. Great stuff.

Json23 said:
Lol, I watched this at home this morning before I came in.

I LOVE IT, when people rush with all one unit. It makes it so easy to crush the enemy and rack up some general points. Great stuff.

You wouldn't be laughing at my rocket buggy rush.

"OH DEAR GOD HOW MANY ARE THERE?"

-actually heard at a LAN party

PopeKevinI said:
You wouldn't be laughing at my rocket buggy rush.

"OH DEAR GOD HOW MANY ARE THERE?"

-actually heard at a LAN party

That sounds funny, but anyone that plays against GLA should be ready for that. I am at least. It only takes a well placed nuke-cannon/flame artillery shot, demo trap/scud launcher, or some form of USA air support to fix that problem.

However, for an un-prepared person, that rockey buggy attack is DEVASTATING. Lol, I wish I could have witnessed that LAN. I would love to see that guys face when he realized he lost because he didn't plan ahead.

I am more surprised that you could even find ONE person to play against at a LAN party. I always have to take an extra copy of the game just to be able to get someone else to play. Then it isn't much fun because they suck at the game.

Personally, I would rather play a good, tough, game and lose than play an easy match and win.

On the side.. does anyone have ridiculous LAN lag issues? I'm talking 4-5 human players running on 1.7 Pentium Ms + mobility 9600 @ 1024x768, all low graphics with no AI. It stutters half a second for every second. It's really unplayable as it is.

I have never been good at CnC, I always wall my self up and play defence, then once I have enough guns and AA to protect my self, I don't have enough res to build an Army! :(

Majin said:
I have never been good at CnC, I always wall my self up and play defence, then once I have enough guns and AA to protect my self, I don't have enough res to build an Army! :(
lmao, i do that with the USA...i have like a million powerplants and so much AA rockets that planes that drop off resources for the enemy, or even enemy bombers are all blow up before there in range....not to mention tanks can even get near me.....those fucken rocket buggys outrange my AA though :(

anyone know if theres a way to take the cap off the amount of units you can control at once in single player? i love massing the dirtbike guys in SP.....watching them crazy bitches zoom over a mountain and take out a fleet of tanks is funny

Json23 said:
That sounds funny, but anyone that plays against GLA should be ready for that. I am at least. It only takes a well placed nuke-cannon/flame artillery shot, demo trap/scud launcher, or some form of USA air support to fix that problem.

I always back them up with quad cannons and feel out defenses with a handful of them. Roll up five or eight buggies with four or five quads behind them for air defense (if playing vs non-GLA). Scan ahead with your radar vans--I usually have ten or so by this time, one scan every three seconds--to avoid demo traps. Probe their defenses with the small group of buggies, and hold the big group in reserve out of their field of vision. That way if/when you find artillery, you can react to it without significant losses.

Alternatively, I've set up multiple groups of buggies (6-8 per group, five or six groups) and hit one section of a perimeter, targetting everything at once. That way if artillery shows up I can take it down while still belting the rest of the defenses simultaneously. You can punch a hole in a line quick doing that.

What's really nasty is a demo cycle / rocket buggy / quad cannon / technician loaded with terrorists attack. Open up with rocket salvos covered by quad cannons, then charge in with the demo cycles to punch a hole in their defenses and just generally scare them. Keep pressing with the buggies until you can push the techs into the base, drop the terrorists, and make them very, very miserable. It only gets uglier from there.

Json23 said:
However, for an un-prepared person, that rockey buggy attack is DEVASTATING. Lol, I wish I could have witnessed that LAN. I would love to see that guys face when he realized he lost because he didn't plan ahead.

The worst one was when I dumped twenty terrorists into a guy's base just a few minutes into the game. My technicians shot up his infantry while the terrorists blew up...well...almost everything. I very nearly took him out on that first assault, and I just kept harrassing his dozers and trucks to keep him from rebuilding.

The other guy gave me a much harder time, probably because I invested so much into crippling one (they were allied against me, I had to shut one down early)

Json23 said:
I am more surprised that you could even find ONE person to play against at a LAN party. I always have to take an extra copy of the game just to be able to get someone else to play. Then it isn't much fun because they suck at the game.

My bro-in-law knows a few guys who play...they're actually the ones who got me interested in it. We've had a couple of LANs at my house. We also play Empire Earth if time allows.

Majin said:

You've got to strike a delicate balance between resourcing, building a defense, and establishing an offense. If you're playing skirmishes, playing defense will lose every time because your opponent will grab all the oil on the map and they'll have infinite resources, while you don't. You've got to either get out there and grab the resources first, or destroy them so they aren't generating money for someone else.

The worst one was when I dumped twenty terrorists into a guy's base just a few minutes into the game. My technicians shot up his infantry while the terrorists blew up...well...almost everything. I very nearly took him out on that first assault, and I just kept harrassing his dozers and trucks to keep him from rebuilding.

Oh dear God... I HATE fighting the Demo Gen. Especially if you are the USA air force gen. The only thing worse is the invso gen. I hate having to track down all those invisible building everywhere.

Another thing, the USA Laser Gen should be allowed to have long range units. It just isn't fair. I mean, the freaking laser paladin tank doesn't even have the laser defense that the the normal paladin tank has. WTF?!

Json23 said:
Another thing, the USA Laser Gen should be allowed to have long range units. It just isn't fair. I mean, the freaking laser paladin tank doesn't even have the laser defense that the the normal paladin tank has. WTF?!

Laser general is weak, except that his weapons are universal: a bunch of crusaders and a few avengers for air/missile defense make for a wicked combat force everywhere except in base assaults.

I played a 3 v 3 game once that pitted all three Chinese generals vs all three US. I played Laser, and my job was to run half the defenses (Superweapon took the other half with EMP turrets) and dominate the centerground with laser tanks. Superweapon bombed the nuke general into the stone age with Alpha bombers and Air Force provided my tanks with air cover. The final assault was really something to see...alpha bombers busting up unit clusters, king raptors and Migs duking it out, stealth commanches and laser tanks pounding the front line. We didn't use particle cannons just because it was a lot cooler to watch the battle :)

PopeKevinI said:
Laser general is weak, except that his weapons are universal: a bunch of crusaders and a few avengers for air/missile defense make for a wicked combat force everywhere except in base assaults.

I played a 3 v 3 game once that pitted all three Chinese generals vs all three US. I played Laser, and my job was to run half the defenses (Superweapon took the other half with EMP turrets) and dominate the centerground with laser tanks. Superweapon bombed the nuke general into the stone age with Alpha bombers and Air Force provided my tanks with air cover. The final assault was really something to see...alpha bombers busting up unit clusters, king raptors and Migs duking it out, stealth commanches and laser tanks pounding the front line. We didn't use particle cannons just because it was a lot cooler to watch the battle :)

I hate those damn alpha bombers too.

Those avengers+ laser tanks are useless against china. Three inferno cannons (especially with the flame upgrade) will take out a cluster of those things like there is no tomorrow. Good thing they are so slow and lightly armored. : )

One thing I love about Generals, there are too many counter attackers to count in one lifetime. The tricky part is being prepared.

Hey Pope, you and I should meet up in the Lobby and play some games together on Zero Hour.

Json23 said:

They're expensive and fragile. Versus the GLA and its fake buildings, anyone who relies heavily on them is going to lose by attrition.

Json23 said:
Those avengers+ laser tanks are useless against china. Three inferno cannons (especially with the flame upgrade) will take out a cluster of those things like there is no tomorrow. Good thing they are so slow and lightly armored. : )

China's artillery is nasty, that's what air support is for. I gladly give up all my Auroras to save my tank onslaught.

Json23 said:
I hate those too, and I play GLA exclusively (though not stealth general). You can't build enough quads to defend against them, since a single bomb will take out several of them that are close by, and probably escape. Once they have enough planes, there's almost no way they can lose.

Once they have enough planes, there's almost no way they can lose.

They give you a sh!t load of Generals points for every one you destroy. Try to rush early and get your points up so that you can use the ambush and pop them up beside their airfield and take them out. Before you know it you can use your sneak attack and that REALLY messes the SW gen up.

Json23 said:
They give you a sh!t load of Generals points for every one you destroy. Try to rush early and get your points up so that you can use the ambush and pop them up beside their airfield and take them out. Before you know it you can use your sneak attack and that REALLY messes the SW gen up.

SW general is incredibly weak to infantry. GLA's ability to appear in the middle of their base is particularly devastating...but just China's infantry general is almost as effective: keep your units spread out and don't bother with base defenses, and your minigunners can take down alphas and only lose a couple of units.

I just wish that more people would play the Original armies more often.

Json23 said:
I just wish that more people would play the Original armies more often.

I play random more often than not. Unless my opponent gets cute and chooses superweapon, airforce, or tank. Then I get infantry, laser, or superweapon (respectively).

Oh yeah, one other gripe about C&C: ZH single player. It cheats.

The AI was rebuilding a tunnel network (as in sent a worker across the map to build a new one) near my base so I sent a couple of gatling tanks and a battlemaster to get rid of it. When my tanks rolled up, it was 95% complete. The gatling tanks took care of the worker, and BAM a load of quads and scorpions dump out of the UNFINISHED tunnel and rip my tanks to shreds.

I have never seen that happen in skirmish, but then again I have only paid skirmish a couple of times.

Json23 said:
I have never seen that happen in skirmish, but then again I have only paid skirmish a couple of times.

I don't know if it can happen in skirmish or not. This happened in China 3 on the ZH campaign.

I'm still stuck on that stupid mission. Part of it is the woefully inadequate information system...About the time I get a solid offensive going and things are looking good, it finally yells "our base is under attack!" after half the base is gone and all my defensive units are lost. It wouldn't be a problem, except the mission forces you to babysit all your forward units or have them wiped out by buggies on hit-and-run attacks.

I don't remember anything much about the Zero Hour missions, just that they were all easy.

If you want to avoid hit and run attacks, stick three or four listening posts a little ways in front of the units being attacked. Since the Listening posts are cloaked, the buggies will run right into a rocket attack before they have the chance to run away. Problem solved.

Json23 said:
I don't remember anything much about the Zero Hour missions, just that they were all easy.

If you want to avoid hit and run attacks, stick three or four listening posts a little ways in front of the units being attacked. Since the Listening posts are cloaked, the buggies will run right into a rocket attack before they have the chance to run away. Problem solved.

Did you play the missions on hard?

What I started doing was posting empty listening posts and populating the city's buildings with tank hunters. That way I'm not losing LPs to Scorpions and I can always grab a couple of rocket troops and still them in the nearest LP when I need to ambush a buggy.

But yeah, that mission is just amazingly contrived. They strip you of almost everything useful so the only option you really have is Battlemasters for offense because the scuds would rip your infantry apart and gattling tanks are useless since you encounter almost no infantry. And then it will let them wipe out most of your base before warning you that it's under attack, and GLA tunnels work even when under construction.

ROFLMAO!!!

I didn't get the joke until the chorus hit about 1/3rd in.

Most excellent music choice.

-dB

Had another small LAN on Friday night, played more Generals. We tried playing 5 hard AIs allied against the three of us, but one of the guys kept folding on defense, and we couldn't hold our flanks AND a front line.

Long-winded description of the battle:

I don't remember the map, but the three of us were in the lower left corner. I was in the corner, with one ally to the north and another to the east. I was playing SW, guy to the north was Nuke, guy to the east was Laser.

The guy to the north couldn't hold his defense, and we could spare enough units to support him. He didn't evacuate his dozers fast enough and lost his ability to build. I sent a swarm of Commanches to slow their advance as much as I could while I built defenses between our bases and tried to hold my front line at the same time. Once I had my defenses up, he surrendered and I got control of his base. I sold everything and harassed the enemy army with my Commanches until they rolled in quad cannons, at which point my choppers withdrew to my base.

I sent a dozer to the east to help shore up his defenses with EMP to counter the tank general that was swarming him. I was dealing with GLA, an Infantry general, and another tank general. Fortunately I got pathfinders pretty quickly to deal with the infantry and my choppers could handle the long-range guns they kept throwing at me.

Five on two, you eventually have to give somewhere. They finally pressed my flank hard enough that I couldn't hold it. Once about half my north-side defenses were gone I pulled all my dozers and chinooks and got what combat units I had ready to pull out when I could. We built a defensive wall as fast as we could between our bases while my Commanches and Alpha bombers did as much damage as possible to slow them down. Just before I sold my command center I ordered MOAB and A10 strikes inside my base (flashback to Platoon..."It's a lovely f***ing war") and pulled my combat units inside our new defenses.

We both build drop zones as fast as we could while still keeping up our defenses. Any superweapons the AIs built got hit with a wave of alpha bombers, which were promptly shot down. We eventually managed to build a couple of particle cannons so the Alphas could be used closer to base. About the time we started targetting command centers, the offensive to end all offensives hit us. SCUD launchers, rocket buggies, nuke cannons, overlords, quad cannons, minigunners, battlemasters, king raptors, commanches, helixes, migs, everything they had hit us all at once.

It took them almost ten minutes to push through three walls of defenses with a constant stream of alpha bombers hitting their front line and commanches harassing their reenforcments. We knew we'd lost when they broke through, but we kept fighting just for fun. I had sixteen elite alpha bombers when they reached my airfields, and the airfields were destroyed while my alphas went on one more long-range bombing run, taking out the last standing command center on the map. Our commanches were dropping like flies trying to cover the laser tanks and tomahawks that were getting overwhelmed. One more time we dropped MOABs and A10 strikes inside our base on the biggest concentrations of their units.

In the end, the AIs took over 3,000 losses...an average of 600 each. We lost less than 400 units and buildings total.

Back