Hummer Drivers Get More Tickets, Survey Finds

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
A study by Quality Planning Corp. found that the popular Hummer H2 and H3 are the most frequently ticketed vehicles on the road. QPC, which helps insurance companies identify risk, found that Hummer drivers get a staggering 4.63 times as many tickets as an average driver. I wonder if Kyle or any other Hummer owners can attest to this?

The study suggests such an attitude is unique to Hummer drivers and doesn't apply to everyone in an SUV, because the the Hummer was followed by the diminutive Scion tC and xB. People behind the wheel of those cars were 4.6 and 4.03 times, respectively, as likely to get tickets than the average driver.

Yes. But what kind of tickets exactly are they getting? Speeding? Moving violation? Parking?

becuase 90% of those things are being driven by tiny women that cant even see over the damn dash lol

Maybe it wasn't the "hummer" on the badge that caused the problem? :p

I suspect it's an ugly penalty. Attractive people get breaks that ugly people do not. I suspect that spills over to cars, including the FUGLY H1 and H2 (can't remember what the H3 looks like).

Let's face it:

If you can afford a hummer, then tickets are probably a minor inconvenience. These people probably don't mind paying the ticket they get for double parking while getting their latte. I wonder if half of them cost as much as the gas they fill up their gas tanks with.

-S

if theyve got the money and big dog complex to buy the pos and fill it with gas i doubt they care about traffic laws or the safety of others.

They're amongst the biggest and (usually) shiniest attention grabbing cars on the road. And that's before thinking about fuel economy biases.

I'd roll it. I'd find a way, dammit! I'd use it for what it was made for. Massive 4x4!

And yes, they are huge attention whore SUV's. For most. Look at me! Look at me! I even have a vanity plate that says "IMBETTER"! YAY!

Its just the personality type that that kind of a vehicle attracts. Same goes with Dodge Ram truck drivers in my experience.

Living in Utah these people stand out even more. Jacked up trucks and SUV's with shiny rims that never see a dirt road or anything in their bed. Some people just need to be a big ass vehicle. And like someone else pointed out its usually someone whose pretty short.

I'd roll it. I'd find a way, dammit! I'd use it for what it was made for. Massive 4x4!

And yes, they are huge attention whore SUV's. For most. Look at me! Look at me! I even have a vanity plate that says "IMBETTER"! YAY!

I'd love to have a Hummer - a REAL Hummer. But you very rarely see them on the public streets, these are what the military use. The "Hummers" we see everyday a just Yukons with different body panels, there's a night and day difference.

I can agree with this. I was pulled over the other day for a registration violation (sticker was still current, cop would have had to assume). The cop pulled next to me and then looked at me then grinned... fell behind me and switched on his lights.

I didn't care much for the tickets, it was the general ass on the road fingering you or cutting you off or keying your car simply because you drive a Hummer... that was the biggest PITA.

Its just the personality type that that kind of a vehicle attracts.

My Experience has been the Toyota Avalon models, usually the worst drivers, Almost all of them swerve around the road on the phone, cut you off, brake super fast on ya. I've even had 2 or 3 instances of a Avalon driver being in a left only lane while i'm in the straight/right only lane and them making a right during a red light in front of me during a no turn on red!!!

I'm afraid one of these days i'll end up a victim to a Avalon driver, this has been on going for me for over 4 years of experience!

I'd love to have a Hummer - a REAL Hummer. But you very rarely see them on the public streets, these are what the military use. The "Hummers" we see everyday a just Yukons with different body panels, there's a night and day difference.

I remember when I was younger, working at a gas station during the first Gulf War before the Hummers were for sale to the public and some Army guys came in with one to fill it up. He says it was awesome, but got real shit for gas mileage. I liked them back then, then they turned into the status symbol and went down hill. Now, soccer mom's have them and egotistical jackoff's. Not saying you are one or Kyle is one. I'm sure there are some people out there that buy them because they are the vehicle of choice or for some logical reason... Or, they just want to show off the size of their.......... SUV...... :D

I think it probably comes down to the fact that most people who drive Hummers are complete douchebags.

I come to this conclusion through rigorous study of my large sample group of one person.

Let's face it:

If you can afford a hummer, then tickets are probably a minor inconvenience. These people probably don't mind paying the ticket they get for double parking while getting their latte. I wonder if half of them cost as much as the gas they fill up their gas tanks with.

-S

LOL

this is sooo true
my gf has an h2 that her dad bought her
she does get more tickets than me somehow, a few of which were for double parking
but yeah, she doesnt care..daddy takes care of all :p

it was the general ass on the road fingering you or cutting you off or keying your car simply because you drive a Hummer... that was the biggest PITA.

This is so unfortunate, because there are sports cars that get the same gas mileage and are even more expensive. So why don't people key those cars?

My wife always jokes about keying a hummer or peeing on it. It doesn't make a lot of sense because I'd be pissed as hell if someone keyed my car or peed on it because it was something they didn't like. And I drive a Scion xB, which seems to be unpopular amonst most. Usually get comments like, "You look gay in that car, lolololol" or "Why don't you just drive a metal box on wheels, roflzlololol!" Usually it's teenage ricers who make the gay comment as their wing towers over my vehicle. :p

If I got a sweet deal or a free Hummer, I'd drive it. It's not a terrible vehicle, it's just really big. At least until it was pretty unsightly to look at after everyone has keyed their initials or "fag-guzzler!" into it. (Actually saw that last one before)

Around here I find Hummers and Camaros to be similar in that the guys that drive them are tools 90% of the time.

Lot of hate in this thread. Is it envy?

Different people prefer different cars, as simple as that. Just because everyone in the world doesn't drive a light blue Prius doesn't mean their choice in cars are any less valid than yours.

I have found that driving a crappy and/or dirty car gets more attention from Police than a nice clean car of any type.

PS. I am not a hummer driver, but I sure as hell wish that financially I had the option if I wanted one.

im in nyc and every pick-up i see on the road is either tailgating someone or speeding, they are the douchbags of the road

Lot of hate in this thread. Is it envy?

Different people prefer different cars, as simple as that. Just because everyone in the world doesn't drive a light blue Prius doesn't mean their choice in cars are any less valid than yours.

I have found that driving a crappy and/or dirty car gets more attention from Police than a nice clean car of any type.

PS. I am not a hummer driver, but I sure as hell wish that financially I had the option if I wanted one.

Envious of some ass that paid huge bucks for a re-paneled Tahoe? ROFLMAO

I have only ever been ticketed once in my H2 since 2003. However, that has not stopped some ignorant cops from trying to make that number higher (town cops ignorant of state laws, yay).

Now, back when I had my Audi S4... I got A LOT of tickets. :D

Let's face it:

-S

No, they probably do mind. But the police are always envious of people who have expensive cars. An average car is more likely to get let off with a warning than a nicer car, although if an attractive woman is driving a nice car, then she's probably most likely to get let off with a warning instead of a ticket.

My cousin has two USMC M998's, picked them up when some got out through a loop-hole that was quickly closed. I've driven them around, pretty sweet except for the going deaf and high maintenance parts. Good summer/off-road vehicle if your the Jeep/Top-down type though.

Yes, there is a night and day difference. When going on a cross-country trip with hundreds of pounds of gear for weeks, I'd much rather have the H2 than the HMMWV. YMMV.

My cousin has two USMC M998's, picked them up when some got out through a loop-hole that was quickly closed. I've driven them around, pretty sweet except for the going deaf and high maintenance parts. Good summer/off-road vehicle if your the Jeep/Top-down type though.

Yes, there is a night and day difference. When going on a cross-country trip with hundreds of pounds of gear for weeks, I'd much rather have the H2 than the HMMWV. YMMV.

I can't imagine using a "real" Hummer for a cross country trip, I would only use it for offroad. If I wanted to go on a cross country trip just about anything else would be better.

Oh well. Drive a hummer, you wont get sympathy from me.

That choice of "vehicle" is ridiculous, selfish, and downright infuriating.

My truck has 65,000 miles on it, is a 2003 model, and had never ever pulled over by a LEO much less ticketed. Mine is shiny about a week a year seeing that is about how often it gets washed.

hmr082208-a.jpg

And oh yeah, after tax benefits, I paid less than $35,000 for mine new. And anyone that says it is a Tahoe is an idiot. I have gone places and will still go places that no pickup truck or full sized SUV will ever go. Making the Tahoe statement shows that you dont own one and are certainly not familiar with the H2.

That all said, most of the Hummers I see make me sick with their wagon wheels and having obviously never been off road.

Oh well. Drive a hummer, you wont get sympathy from me.

That choice of "vehicle" is ridiculous, selfish, and downright infuriating.

Don't want your sympathy. Could care less about your sympathy. I am glad I have the power to make such a small minded person infuriated. Hehe. You are mad about my truck and I am still smiling. Guess I won. :D

I think it probably comes down to the fact that most people who drive Hummers are complete douchebags.

I come to this conclusion through rigorous study of my large sample group of one person.
QFT. I know a number of people who own Hummers and i'll just say that all of them have serious personality issues.

I can't imagine using a "real" Hummer for a cross country trip, I would only use it for offroad. If I wanted to go on a cross country trip just about anything else would be better.

Find what fits your purpose and you can afford. For me, that was the H2, cross-country, on and off roads.

Over 100,000 miles and counting and have never payed attention to the haters.

H1 FTMFW, I'd rock one, especially with the awesome off-road scene here in so-cal

Hummer drivers deserve to get tickets once a week just for driving those obscene beasts.

Let me qualify my last statement:

Hummers are cool, sure, I'd want one if I was in back country, moutan/forest areas. But no f-ing way are they remotely cool for day-to-day around town, that's simply asinine. WTF? Hey, I'd like to drive a tank, that'd be fun too, doesn't mean I would really do it.

hehe, I want to see the ban hammer fall on someone.

I think I got a Temp ban a while back for commenting on a Hummer thread.

if you actually drive it off road, more power to you. Would think there would be better choices a bit less school bus like though.

Whoever asked why sports cars dont get hate, look up the mileage of a vette. The other part of it is the people in big SUVs are increasing their safety at big expense to everyone elses. The lightweight sports car, not so much (unless they drive wild, then they do get flak).

I am jaded though, down here every man thinks he needs a big truck and every woman a big suv. A lot of the woman can NOT properly handle the big SUVs they feel they need to go to walmart in. Heck, a lot cant even park them right.

Won? I didn't know we were in competition with each other. I can't tell if you're trolling or just defending your own ego.
Hah. Trolling on a forum he, you know, owns? That's interesting.

Purchases of SUV's/Hummers driven by fear...

To what end?

Back