Humble Audiobook Bundle : R.A. Salvator's Complete Demon Wars Saga $15

Yakk

Supreme [H]ardness
As a fan of fantasy stories but never read a R.A. Salvator book, yes I’m sure that will blow some people’s minds, is this a good start?

This series is probably over 15 years old, but yes, I think it's a great place to start.

Also this book series stands on its own and isn't tied to TSR/Wizards of the Coast stuff.

Thanks for the post. Read a lot of his books but not these. I like having audiobooks for road trips.

I'll probably jump on this. I've started listening to audio books on my way to work and back. It lets me experience more books without taking more time out of my day for reading (which I already do plenty). R.S. Salvatore writes pretty compelling stuff generally.

I've still got my autographed Icewind Dale trilogy (and others) safe at home. (Crystal Shard FTW!)

Met him several times (as he lived local to me) and it was a great experience.

Reactions: Yakk
like this
I'll probably jump on this. I've started listening to audio books on my way to work and back. It lets me experience more books without taking more time out of my day for reading (which I already do plenty). R.S. Salvatore writes pretty compelling stuff generally.

I was thinking of doing this also. I have an hour commute and this would fill that time nicely

I should add these books total 116 hours of audio, available in MP3 or FLAC formats, and DRM free! (No Audible garbage!).

I've been listening to Audiobooks when traveling for years, I recommend it.

I bought this a few days ago and I can't stop listening to it. It is really well done and since there is a couple of days left before it goes I wanted to bump this topic just to recommend it. I stopped playing Dark Souls 3 just because I want to know what happens next. Now on book 3 lol

Reactions: Yakk
like this

This is what I have been doing. I have 3 hours of commute each day. between podcasts and Audible, it makes the drive enjoyable.

But these "GraphicAudio" versions sound interesting. So there are sound effects and different actors do the voices? One thing that has driven me a bit crazy with audiobooks is one person speaking ALL the roles. I have started to notice that some readers are better then others and doing male/female/ethinic voices. I have only read one audiobook that had more then 1 voice actor and that was The 5th Wave (though they never overlapped in reading, even when the characters themselves were in the same scene).

I'll give a try to see what it's like.

Wow, they are provided in MP3 and FLAC...2-2.5GB per disc for the FLAC, definently a step above what Audible does. Thanks OP.

Also these titles are not available on GraphicAudio website anymore. Sounds like this is a one last go around for it.

I downloaded it as MP3 and it's still 13.6GB in total. Well worth the purchase. I have heard only one audio book previously and I pretty much didn't like it because it was just a single person reading the book to me. This one is like the old radio shows of the pre-TV days. All the characters are voiced and there are even sound effects for swords hitting each other. This is the kind of "audio" book I would buy. I would never buy the regular "audio" books that just have someone reading the book to me because I prefer to just read it and "hear" the voices of the characters that my mind makes up. When someone is reading the book to me for some reason I have a hard time imagining any of the other characters having a different voice. Male and female voices sound just like the one reading it and it bothers me usually.

I would never buy the regular "audio" books that just have someone reading the book to me because I prefer to just read it and "hear" the voices of the characters that my mind makes up.

I do agree with this in general, but I think most people get audiobooks because it's more conducive to the environment they are listening to them in (driving, working out, *work*, etc). I have listened to about 20 books so far and you can tell the difference between readers. There are some that sound like they probably are professional voice actors. I listened to Lord Of All Things and the reader was fantastic, he covered a soft spoken french girl, a overworking Japanese guy, an Scottish guy, a rich snob white college kid. And he was unique with all the voices, all consistent and recognizable through out the book. I have however heard more where the reader did terrible with doing members of the opposite sex (male voices in Contact for example).

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
When well done, the Graphic Audio full production can really enhance the experience of an audio book. Othertimes it can be over the top and distracting, this series was well done overall IMO.

I find for regular audiobooks, readers definitely need to pick the right books to read, probably not an easy choice (saying no to a contract is never easy). There are the more well known readers such as Jim Dale and Scott Brick who can read just about anything and it sounds fantastic, but I'm sure even they carefully choose what they feel they can do properly. It really is an art IMHO.

I do agree with this in general, but I think most people get audiobooks because it's more conducive to the environment they are listening to them in (driving, working out, *work*, etc). I have listened to about 20 books so far and you can tell the difference between readers. There are some that sound like they probably are professional voice actors. I listened to Lord Of All Things and the reader was fantastic, he covered a soft spoken french girl, a overworking Japanese guy, an Scottish guy, a rich snob white college kid. And he was unique with all the voices, all consistent and recognizable through out the book. I have however heard more where the reader did terrible with doing members of the opposite sex (male voices in Contact for example).

Agreed. I listened to one series (The Broken Empire by Mark Lawrence - which is excellent BTW) and the reader was great. Really great. I'm listening to another series now (The Nightangel Trilogy by Brent Weeks - pretty good story) and the reader is horrible. He's very precise in his language and annunciates clearly, but without any emotion. I almost quit listening it's so bad.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back