Human Head Transplant Just 2 Years Away, Surgeon Claims

It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of medical science is nothing but an act of murder.

The reason dogs are in the position you describe is because we have dominated them over millions of years. We broke them of there wills and replaced it with our own, how is that any different? In my opinion, its worse than what your railing against.
Oh brother... Its a beautiful symbiotic relationship formed 30K+ years ago, perfectly meshing into a dynamic duo that were able to hunt better together than they could apart. Like the cat, studies show that the earliest wolves domesticated themselves, in that the most tame were able to approach humans without a fear response and outbreed their less tame counterparts. The tamer wolves would follow humans or visa versa and work together on a kill, and wolves being highly social were amendable to the human hunter taking an alpha role. But even when selectively breeding dogs later, you're still assuming a father-figure type of role/responsibility.

So if you can't understand why its foul to torture man's best friend and betray that trust and relationship, compared to say using that guy that chopped the limbs off of children and raping them, I don't think I can alter your moral compass over the internet.

Except millions of people haven't clearly been saved by performing head transplants, and like I said, if its testing for humans to save humans then use humans. If a few human lives save millions of human lives, the moral question is exactly the same when it comes to "greater good of one vs many".

No no no, you are thinking way too literally. There are other advancements. They found out about how others organs work (in spine, neck, upper shoulder, throat, etc) & ways to transplant organs through these tests on other animals.

Also, do you know how they came up with vaccines? They tested it on rats first & injected those rats with viruses to test. Then moved to dogs then finally humans. You go from small scale to bigger and bigger scale. You cannot go straight from theory to humans. Same with other meds and treatments for diseases like cancer, heart failure, kidney failure, liver problems, etc. Man, this is basic medical science.

You are letting your emotions get the better of you. You're not making sense. Should we give same treatment to rats too now as humans? What about fish or chicken? Many humans eat fish/chicken by cutting them up and cooking them. Does that make those people immoral? Pigs are smarter than dogs and we stick them in pens by tying them down the day they are born then cooking them by cutting their head off - where's the outrage over that?

Canines are our partners as a species, and have tremendous loyalty and trust ingrained in them from birth. Sure there may be a few asshole dogs, but for the most part dogs are good people.

They are our partners because we made them our partners. Could have easily made them cats or pigs or whatever else you want.

BTW, do you know how dog breeding was done and still is to this day? They mix and match DNAs and force mate certain dogs to get the qualities & characteristics you want. They tested that over many dog generations to perfect the art, but you basically play god with the dogs to make them be obedient to their masters (humans). Dogs were not like that from the beginning. We took wolves/foxes ~20,000 years ago and turned them into our domestic dogs of today over time. I hope you know that dogs don't exist like this in nature and never have.

We breeded and trained them utter obedience of their masters. We made them loyal from birth and took most of their biological behavior out from their wolf stage. Why do you think MOST dogs cannot survive on their own if you throw them out?

There are PLENTY of bad people though that have actually committed acts that removes from from consideration of mercy, but because they are human, we think they are better than a loyal dog that would lay his life down for you in a heartbeat. That to me is retard logic. We cull deer for their own good, because we recognize how overpopulated the planet is, so why is human life so seemingly rare and special. Use a deathrow inmate that raped a schoolbus of nuns for experiments if you have to sacrifice the one for the many.

I will give you this argument. Yes, you should use these most heinous criminals for medical research that are on death-row - they will die eventually anyways. They already do in many countries. It is bit limited in USA because the 8th amendment of constitution prohibits "cruel and unusual punishment", but I am sure congress can change it if they truly wanted to. They already do organ transplant to innocent people that need it.

There were also international treaties that were signed that limited human genetic engineering/cloning/etc. The Nazis were freely playing with that in the 40s on Jew prisoners so after that, treaties were signed against that. They do it often with rats, guinea pigs and bacteria/very small animals and of course, food/plants.

You are letting your emotions get the better of you. You're not making sense. Should we give same treatment to rats too now as humans? What about fish or chicken? Many humans eat fish/chicken by cutting them up and cooking them. Does that make those people immoral? Pigs are smarter than dogs and we stick them in pens by tying them down the day they are born then cooking them by cutting their head off - where's the outrage over that?
I don't buy that, I believe rats are used because they are the least expensive to replace and house. I give two craps about rats though, and rats have historically been a pest species, and don't have a long term relationship of trust with humans the way dogs do. People have a responsibility to dogs as partners or allies if you will, which is a relationship never formed with chickens. Its apples and oranges.

If medical progress is held back by an inability to perform extremely dangerous or cruel test on humans or pets (chopping off an innocent creatures head and keeping it alive while subjecting it to tests certainly counts), then that is a price I'm willing to pay.
I will give you this argument. Yes, you should use these most heinous criminals for medical research that are on death-row - they will die eventually anyways. They already do in many countries. It is bit limited in USA because the 8th amendment of constitution prohibits "cruel and unusual punishment", but I am sure congress can change it if they truly wanted to. They already do organ transplant to innocent people that need it.

There were also international treaties that were signed that limited human genetic engineering/cloning/etc. The Nazis were freely playing with that in the 40s on Jew prisoners so after that, treaties were signed against that. They do it often with rats, guinea pigs and bacteria/very small animals and of course, food/plants.
And that's all I'm saying, is treat dogs at LEAST with the same level of respect that you would a death-row inmate that raped and mutilated children on camera for fun. If you consider that value of an innocent and good non-human life over and evil human life (which I personally assign no value) to be "emotional", then so be it, but that is my point.

I don't buy that, I believe rats are used because they are the least expensive to replace and house. I give two craps about rats though, and rats have historically been a pest species, and don't have a long term relationship of trust with humans the way dogs do. People have a responsibility to dogs as partners or allies if you will, which is a relationship never formed with chickens. Its apples and oranges.

If medical progress is held back by an inability to perform extremely dangerous or cruel test on humans or pets (chopping off an innocent creatures head and keeping it alive while subjecting it to tests certainly counts), then that is a price I'm willing to pay.

I guess the difference is that you're looking at it from human perspective with our relationship with dogs - an animal that we are closest with.

My perspective is that I am looking at dogs as equal to cats and pigs based on who they are, their intelligence & their similarities in behavior. I can throw on cows, horses, octopus there too as they feel & show emotions/high intelligence as well. We consume them & mistreat them (elephants, dolphins, chimps we mistreat them too but we don't eat them ofc). I am not sure what makes dogs deserve much better treatment than those other animals that might be much smarter than dogs. To me, that is utter bullsh!t.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with both perspectives. Different perspectives are appreciated.

That's fair, but I didn't mean to imply that dogs are higher than all other animals.

My cats are members of my family. One of which just had to have $1600 surgery and burned up my vacation time... ouch, but again IMO my boy has always been good and trusting, and deserving of respect and care even if I could get another similar looking cat for $35 at the shelter. Cats have a long history of kinship with humans too, and have earned their place as the number one kept pet in the US. IMO that history matters, and we have a responsibility to protect our pets as part of us, kind of the way the moon is a satellite to the Earth... they may be separate things, but they just go together, the way cats and dogs are satellites to humanity.

Pigs, cows, and octupus though, I just don't see that we have ever assumed a trust relationship with them, even though its true pigs are smart. That said, I certainly wouldn't really feel right about torturing a pig though either in brutal medical experiments, and believe in humane slaughtering practices even for dumb cows as you don't have to be a rocket scientist to feel and suffer from pain.

Its about more than just raw intelligence though. And that dirt-bag example on death row, I'd have no qualms helping to hold him down while you sawed his head off to do experiments. He might be smarter than a dog, but he's not a better "person" if you will.

I don't think I'm alone though, as we see the fund-raiser and show of respect in an organized police salute to a retired K-9 officer on his last walk to be put down due to a terminal disease: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/...g-west-deptford-judge-put-down_n_6739428.html

Doctor is crazy. We are far from being able to reconnect a spine. If we could do that, there wouldn't be paralyzed people. Also tissue rejection is still far from being solved.

Also, why would you want an old head on a new body?

If you had that level of technology, wouldn't you just want to transplant your brain? Get a young face, new teeth, new eyes, etc...

Well if that's true then it should also spell the end of paralysis resulting from spinal injury.

Yep that was my first thought as well. If you can actually attach another person's head to a body and they are able to walk, then fixing spine/neck injuries should be easy in comparison. Which makes me think this whole thing is just bullshit. It does make a good headline though, I'll give them that.

Pretty screwed up, and I can't imagine how much pain the dog was in being alive for hours while being subjected to tests with cold blood flowing through its head and open nerve endings like that.

Who cares what they learned? Dogs have formed a symbiotic relationship with man since the years of the caveman, lending their superior senses in exchange for the protection of our superior intellect and learning a biological ingrained trust. To abuse dogs like this is to betray that trust and that epic relationship over the centuries.

Besides, since when are people better than dogs? When is the last time you heard of a dog hooking up another dog's testicles to a car battery? Humans do that. If anything, there are already far too many humans on the planet, so if you're doing science for humans to save humans then do the experiment ON humans if you think its worthwhile.

I would kill a thousand dogs to save one human life. So, you have to agree that there are differences of opinion on this.

So basically people could effectively live forever. Transplant your old head onto a new body. Some more surgical facial procedures to clean up the wrinkles etc... It's definitely weird but I could see this happening.

As far as research goes, I prefer more research for mechanical arms to be attached to people that lost their limbs.

So basically people could effectively live forever. Transplant your old head onto a new body. Some more surgical facial procedures to clean up the wrinkles etc... It's definitely weird but I could see this happening.

As far as research goes, I prefer more research for mechanical arms to be attached to people that lost their limbs.
If you really examine it, increased longevity—if not physical immortality—has been the ultimate goal of almost any base technology you can name.

That's fair, but I didn't mean to imply that dogs are higher than all other animals.

My cats are members of my family. One of which just had to have $1600 surgery and burned up my vacation time... ouch, but again IMO my boy has always been good and trusting, and deserving of respect and care even if I could get another similar looking cat for $35 at the shelter. Cats have a long history of kinship with humans too, and have earned their place as the number one kept pet in the US. IMO that history matters, and we have a responsibility to protect our pets as part of us, kind of the way the moon is a satellite to the Earth... they may be separate things, but they just go together, the way cats and dogs are satellites to humanity.

Pigs, cows, and octupus though, I just don't see that we have ever assumed a trust relationship with them, even though its true pigs are smart. That said, I certainly wouldn't really feel right about torturing a pig though either in brutal medical experiments, and believe in humane slaughtering practices even for dumb cows as you don't have to be a rocket scientist to feel and suffer from pain.

Its about more than just raw intelligence though. And that dirt-bag example on death row, I'd have no qualms helping to hold him down while you sawed his head off to do experiments. He might be smarter than a dog, but he's not a better "person" if you will.

I don't think I'm alone though, as we see the fund-raiser and show of respect in an organized police salute to a retired K-9 officer on his last walk to be put down due to a terminal disease: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/...g-west-deptford-judge-put-down_n_6739428.html

The difference in you and the rest of us became obvious in this post. You see and treat animals as humans if they are close enough to you. When the rest of us simply treat them as animals. I have owned dogs/cats my entire life and they get treated extremely well. However the reality is they are animals not humans and the moment one needs an insane amount of money invested to keep them living is when it ceases being the family pet. It isn't being cruel or heartless, it is just having the ability not to was stupid amounts of money on a non sentient creature. I loved my dog that I had for many years, but when it got cancer and the choice was thousands of dollars in treatment and putting it down when it could no longer have a quality life, I put it down. I cried, it sucked but it would of sucked more to spend thousands on an animal that just resulted in it suffering more and longer.

If you guys and gals can't figure out this has Walt Disney (attach his frozen head to a cloned body made with DNA extracted out of said head [hehe alliteration is fun!] and wammo! we get to see his lost movie "It's a Small World War After All"

The difference in you and the rest of us became obvious in this post.

Non sentient?

So when I lost my dad and his dog grieved itself to death within 5 months it was just some walking turnip faking it?

Or perhaps you are referring to the ones paired with our soldiers. Pacific theatre of ops. WW2

The ones who refused to abandon their handlers even in death, still attempting to guard and protect.

non sentient

the only different person around here is you

great job on supporting the troops as well

I bet you even think you are one of the righteous

2 years? Pffttttt...we've had this capability for centuries. Whenever someone gets elected to any government seat, their head gets transplanted either up someone else's ass or up there own. :p

Or both. :eek:

Why is everyone assuming that the big issue will be about "doner" bodies?

It shouldn't be that hard to basically grow human bodies. A tiny modification early in the fetal development process and the body could probably be grown without a brain, hopefully appeasing any ethical concerns.

Anyone with a choice would rather have a body that is in perfect shape and grown in a lab than your worn out used body.

I would kill a thousand dogs to save one human life. So, you have to agree that there are differences of opinion on this.

Indeed....I dont know that I'd kill a thousand dogs for one human, but maybe for the right human. that said, I would probably kill a thousand humans for the right human and I'd definitely kill the right human for MY DOG :cool:

Indeed....I dont know that I'd kill a thousand dogs for one human, but maybe for the right human. that said, I would probably kill a thousand humans for the right human and I'd definitely kill the right human for MY DOG :cool:

Hear, hear!!

I think you say that, but don't really believe it or would practice it.

Spend a week at a shelter playing with puppies and dogs, loving all over you, smothering you with affection whose eyes light up when you walk in the room with a full body wag going on.

Then spend a week helping a repo-man get back cars in the ghetto from people who have no intention to pay and yet won't give up the property, and then taking them back through thick Houston traffic with people racing by on the shoulder cutting the queue and flipping you off and laying on the horn, after just having dealt with people blatantly lying through their teeth, spitting at you, getting irrationally violent, and so forth.

Then tell me you believe in that thousands of dogs to one human life... hell, chances are you might have gone postal and killed one of the worst douchebag humans you met before the week was over. ;)

I remember that dog head video from years ago. I was never sure if it was a hoax or a pull from some weird movie.

Non sentient?

So when I lost my dad and his dog grieved itself to death within 5 months it was just some walking turnip faking it?

Or perhaps you are referring to the ones paired with our soldiers. Pacific theatre of ops. WW2

The ones who refused to abandon their handlers even in death, still attempting to guard and protect.

non sentient

the only different person around here is you

great job on supporting the troops as well

I bet you even think you are one of the righteous

Sentient in the way humans are, I could of explained that better. The rest of your assumptions however are just asinine and not even worth the time it took you to type them.

Fact of the matter is this; Medical science doesn't progress without a means to test it. This is why we use small mammals, then medium mammals, then apes which are our closest relative and then only when it passes all those tests do we use humans. All of you decrying this are just bringing way more emotion into it then needed. You aren't able to debate this on a respectable level because you are just too emotionally involved. This post above me is a great example of kneejerk emotional response because it starts trying to insult me by inferring I somehow don't support the troops and am religious because I don't put animals on the same level as humans.

repost for truth

but muh soul.

I know a couple of chicks this would work wonders for!

giphy.gif

Back