Human Bird Wings: Real or Fake?

This flying bird-man makes me think of the Orwellian movie Brazil.

Looking at some of their other videos on Youtube you can see them doing their "R&D" work inside of Maya. You dont do any kind of engineering work in Maya lol.

The kite wings do not look loaded, they look stalled... like with no relative wind.
Their blog is only two month old. FAKE.

And by the way if you want to experience flight some seconds longs, buy a kite and go kitesurf! It works and you dont have to flap flap...

The kite wings do not look loaded

That was my first thought, the person would be born aloft by that material, which means the wings have to be carrying probably 100+kg of load distributed across them, and they didn't look like that until a small portion at the end when he was gliding down.

This video angers me. 80% positive votes. It's pretty clear the miracle music and CGI actually tricked most people, talk about appealing to everyone's inner child. A successful fraud campaign. It appears Gizmodo is the only one with any actual common sense. Popular Science has a little piece on it, and Wired does too.

/nerdrage

Its hard to tell from this particular video, part 14, but I'll submit to you part 13:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0tKFOcHyrI&feature=relmfu

As a 3D animator with knowledge of compositing, they have two moments in part 13 where the camera conveniently looks down at the ground to swap in the CGI birdsuit. In addition, there is a rough oddness to the movement, particularly toward the end of his run far down field.

http://youtu.be/Q0tKFOcHyrI

Yeah, in Video 13 at 1:45 left wing has one black square...

...convenient "look at the ground" moment....

1:55 BOTH wings have black squares on them now.

Lame that they couldn't bother to match up the real and CGI components. :rolleyes:

I been looking at YouTube videos for a long time, it's pretty interesting the patterns ive noticed with "Likes" and "Dislikes"

A video of someone feeding their python a rabbit will have tons of dislikes. Presumably because the rabbit is fuzzy and cute and how could you do that to such an innocent thing.

A video showing a thumbnail of some tits will have millions of views, but if the tits sequence isn't actually in the video iself, it will have a massive number of thumbs down. Persumably because of false advertising.

A video trying to show a ghost as real, but having terrible effects will receive mostly thumbs down. Presumably because no one was fooled.

Then you have these kinds of videos, where there is mostly thumbs up, but a decent chunk are thumbs down. If I wasn't allowed to see the actual video, and could only see number of views and number of thumbs/up and down, I would conclude "It appears most people approve of it or like it but there seems to be a little controversy with it."

Yeah I have no life, but just a random pattern I've noticed. You can really tell alot about a video even before watching it just based on the ratings.

I been looking at YouTube videos for a long time, it's pretty interesting the patterns ive noticed with "Likes" and "Dislikes"

A video of someone feeding their python a rabbit will have tons of dislikes. Presumably because the rabbit is fuzzy and cute and how could you do that to such an innocent thing.

A video showing a thumbnail of some tits will have millions of views, but if the tits sequence isn't actually in the video iself, it will have a massive number of thumbs down. Persumably because of false advertising.

A video trying to show a ghost as real, but having terrible effects will receive mostly thumbs down. Presumably because no one was fooled.

Then you have these kinds of videos, where there is mostly thumbs up, but a decent chunk are thumbs down. If I wasn't allowed to see the actual video, and could only see number of views and number of thumbs/up and down, I would conclude "It appears most people approve of it or like it but there seems to be a little controversy with it."

Yeah I have no life, but just a random pattern I've noticed. You can really tell alot about a video even before watching it just based on the ratings.

So basically you are saying that videos that are offensive, misleading or stupid will be disliked. Thank you, Captain Obvious. :p

I don't doubt he was in the air, but I Guarantee he did not get himself up.....he was pulled, and glided. A few mock flaps of the wings for effect......and glide down.

No, he wasn't even in the air....I'm sure of that now after re-watching, and checking better.

FAKE.

So basically you are saying that videos that are offensive, misleading or stupid will be disliked. Thank you, Captain Obvious. :p

Hahaha, well ofcourse, but I was trying to look more into them. Like "why does the this video of a python eating a rat have alot of likes, but the one eating a rabbit doesn't"? I could simply end it right there and say it's because the rabbit is fuzzy and cute and rats are pests, but that's no fun. Sometimes I just keep going deeper into that thought process.

Aside from the fact that a lot of the airborne shots look very fake to me, I cant see how a wing span that short moving that slowly could ever generate enough lift to get him off the ground.
Even assuming he was a very light person in my opinion your looking at needing nearly a 100 foot wing span to make this happen and he would still need to take off into a very strong head wind to ever get him self off the ground.

flat out fake.

Facepalms all around for anyone who thinks this is real.

LoL!

You got that right.

Anyone who has a basic understanding of the uniqueness of a bird's skeletal, muscular and the composition and purpose of the different groups of feathers can understand the immense complexity of the design needed for sustained self powered flight.

The notion of "if God wanted men to fly he would have given us wings" is true in a sense if God wanted us to be bird Men. The fact is we are made in His Image and we have an intellect to which in turn made machines that takes us beyond flight, but can ultimately carry us to other worlds. ;)

I would not be surprised if this turns up in a viewer request Mythbusters episode.

I'm not going to 100% say its fake, but I am a skeptic.

Leonardo da Vinici and his contemporaries, as well as many later adventurers tried this and failed. They had heavier non-synthetic materials, etc. though, so is it possible with modern tech? Maybe.

already proven fake but regardless:

fake. Just look at the "flapping". that wouldn't generate nearly enough downward force to keep a man up. I'm sure birds weight/thrust ratio would be nowhere near what that guy (175+lbs conservatively estimated) is.

This was debunked when the first video dropped months ago. When logos on wings vanish after a cut away you know there are shenanigans.

Eagles when they get up a bit of speed are the same. On take off *snip*
Gah, that's my whole point! This thing is supposedly taking off from the ground in fairly calm conditions with a man running, at best, 10-15 mph, with nowhere near enough flap to get the required amount of air displacement to lift him and the machine. How many "watts" of power the thing has is irrelevant. You could strap a 450hp hemi on his back and he'd have all the power you'd ever need and still be a brick without a way to generate lift. The amount of air being displaced by the wing flaps coupled with the surface area of the wing is what matters. If that combination is not enough to overcome gravity then you're not going anywhere no matter how much power you have at your disposal. Power alone is useless. It MUST be applied in the correct manner.

lol, come on guys, arguing about this stuff is like arguing about the literal truth of Noah's ark...

Looked like CGI to me when i watched it, the movements of the persons body at 34-38 seconds, specifically, the body bobbing up and down, didnt look natural, movements were much too stiff, the forces acting on the body would have induced a lot more organic movements too one would think.

Also id find it hard to believe that he could have built up enough speed over the apparent distance traveled to cause his legs to go from hanging to laying straight back in that short of distance either, again, the whole body/machine interaction just felt too rigid.

After reading the headline saying that it was fake, kudos for making a viral video, but ive seen a lot more convincing work, done by people who dont do it for a living.. Would think that one would want to atleast try to get the important parts right if they were trying to make a hoax?

I rather figured, but I wasn't completely certain. I don't know enough about this type of stuff to say one way or the other. Which is why my rant was aimed at the people who knew about as much as me declaring their opinion as fact.

Back