Hulu losing `Daily Show,' `Colbert Report'

HardOCP News

[H] News
I have a feeling that Hulu just lost about half its viewers.

Hulu announced Tuesday that Comedy Central was pulling its shows from the site beginning March 10. Both "The Daily Show" and "The Colbert Report consistently rank among Hulu's most watched programs.

Not sure but those two shows were the only reason I visited Hulu, now that Comedy Central has those though, I'll just go visit them.

This will translate into Hulu losing much advertising revenue. One step closer to Hulu becoming a pay-for site.

same here modern family... that show got me hooked. i want to check out archer but always forget.

A loss for hulu but it doesn't really affect us.

It affects everyone. It changes the way people decide to get their shows online. They either wait it out and watch on TDS/TCR web sites or they download it on Torrent a couple hours after it airs.

I'm guessing this is more of a test to see if these shows will make more money for them from their own site and or from hulu. If they don't see the traffic coming in they will move it back to hulu, which is why they still tried to depart amicably.

As for me I watch hulu for scripted shows. If I ever wanted to catch a daily show episode/clip I would go directly to comedy central's site. So does not change anything for me.

Props to hulu for a classy statement. They could have really been nasty about this, but they had nothing but nice things to say about Comedy Central etc.

Damn I'll miss watching that 2/11/2010 when both shows had Admiral Ackbar's "Its a trap!" scene.

As soon as I read "Hulu losing..." I :('d

I can't wait to get proper TV through the internuts, instead of paying ~$50/mo for all digital channels.

Probably the beginning of the end for Hulu as we know it. If you miss any Colbert, just go to http://www.colbertnation.com/ or look on bittorrents sites.

StevenColbertSexy.jpg

Ive had some real problems with colbert nation with the vancoverage this past week, although about as much chance something on my end is wack, but I would have issues where scrolling through the program even between the ads totally killed the video, and if that happens I got to refresh and watch the same minute of ads, and random times the video would just stop, maybe it was my internet connection, but it wouldn't work again. I had forgotten hulu did those two shows or i would of went there, since they are better on the video / ad relationship, and if something fucked up, and you were quick enough, you could get back without an ad in your grill.

I just said fuck it and watched colbert off of torrents. I wanted to give them ad revenue, but the methods they use are counter intuitive, and now by hulu going down, my source for these shows basically goes TDS and TCR sites, and they have presented as non options.

It affects everyone. It changes the way people decide to get their shows online. They either wait it out and watch on TDS/TCR web sites or they download it on Torrent a couple hours after it airs.

I doesn't affect anyone outside the USA, the only place Hulu works.

I am in Canada and either watch them on TV, or catch missed eps on the Comedy Channel, so no change here.

same here modern family... that show got me hooked. i want to check out archer but always forget.

Archer is a riot! I haven't liked a TV show like that in a long time...

As Jutsu stated earlier, "A loss for hulu but it doesn't really affect us."

Hulu sucks anyways, too many ads. Also never enough selection.

I love Hulu :( I'm really bummed to see these shows go. I watch both of these shows at least 2-3 times a week from hulu. I've tried going straight to comedy central but their video feeds are nearly as high quality and they have twice as many ads. Sure they may be ads for other comedy central shows but its still really damn annoying.

I think they'll be back, but then again I also believe Hulu is the way of the future :)

Archer is a riot! I haven't liked a TV show like that in a long time...

+1. All the characters are complete asses to each other, and H. John Benjamin's delivery as Archer is a riot.

I think Boxee gets the Daily Show straight from the site, so that will still work for me - but having it on Hulu was sure handy :\

I love Hulu :( I'm really bummed to see these shows go. I watch both of these shows at least 2-3 times a week from hulu. I've tried going straight to comedy central but their video feeds are nearly as high quality and they have twice as many ads. Sure they may be ads for other comedy central shows but its still really damn annoying.

I think they'll be back, but then again I also believe Hulu is the way of the future :)

Actually I started to watch these 2 shows on their respective sites, and the quality is better, and there's hardly any ads. They stream in a higher HD than hulu does, and the only ads you get are at the very beginning of the program.

I am a big time Hulu user here. I have a old PC set up in the living room hooked to the tv with just XP and Hulu Desktop just for watching all my shows. I dropped cable tv and haven't looked back.

Lost, Legend Of The Seeker, Burn Notice, White Collar, The Office, etc..

noooooooooooooooooooooooooo! guess it's time for surfthechannel.com to take over for watching these shows =( no more daily or colbert @ 480i

oh ... reading the comments here, I'm see that comedycentral will still carry the shows @ their site? I hope so

Hulu used to be amazing, but the "content providers" (read: the companies that own the guys that actually make the shows) have been getting itchier and itchier about gettin' they money.

It's occasionally shocking how much better even teenagers seem to perceive the reality of online business than media corporation executives.

Hulu used to be amazing, but the "content providers" (read: the companies that own the guys that actually make the shows) have been getting itchier and itchier about gettin' they money.

It's occasionally shocking how much better even teenagers seem to perceive the reality of online business than media corporation executives.

Well most of the media corporation executives are fat and old. They are out of touch with modern times. Part of the problem is that the TV business has worked the same way for 60+ years and with things changing in regard to media and technology, that business model isn't working as well as it used to. Essentially the network executives are used to making money only one way and since things are changing, they aren't sure how to continue to rake in the cash the same way they used to. They dabble in distribution through sites like Hulu, and through other means but it doesn't make as much money as quickly as they'd like.

I think Hulu and sites like it will one day replace traditional network television. Unfortunately the executives at these media companies don't yet see it. The on demand nature of it just fits people's lives better. The popularity of DVR's is proof of that. I never bother to watch live TV anymore unless I've got nothing better to do and I'm feeling impatient. I think most people are getting that way if they aren't already.

Times are changing and these companies need to evolve and change with the times or they will face obsolescence.

colbert is best when hes just doing his show and about topics that are important. his vancouver coverage sucked ass, the sound of the wind in the mics, the poor execution of the whole thing... it was just a horrible week to watch. colbert in general hasnt had much to talk about or great guests on lately, its hasnt been a loss if you havent seen it the last few months. usually though, he can be the funniest host on tv... well aside from danny tosh.

sucks for hulu, im guessing comedy central simply wanted the hits on their own website. a shame really, you see so many people BEGGING you to visit their website- its clear there is money in it.

colbert is best when hes just doing his show and about topics that are important. his vancouver coverage sucked ass, the sound of the wind in the mics, the poor execution of the whole thing... it was just a horrible week to watch. colbert in general hasnt had much to talk about or great guests on lately, its hasnt been a loss if you havent seen it the last few months. usually though, he can be the funniest host on tv... well aside from danny tosh.

sucks for hulu, im guessing comedy central simply wanted the hits on their own website. a shame really, you see so many people BEGGING you to visit their website- its clear there is money in it.

At this point I think most TV networks want to keep the stuff in house rather than sell rights to Hulu. I really wish they would just let Hulu put the stuff on rather than doing it themselves. I hate watching stuff on CBSOnline or anything like that. Give me Hulu any day of the week instead of that crap.

i think best case senario would be for a p2p network owned by all the broadcast networks collectively... every time you download a file the owning company would get an advertisement rating bump, because the files would be laced with ads. this way you can control whats on the network because its owned by the collective group, services like hulu could relay the content in its own shell, and everyone still gets paid through ads. it would basically be like FM radio is today, just a little different because you can choose what you want at any time.

Both shows are ok. I'd rather watch something like Glenn Beck. He's funny and you can actually learn a little real history.

With that said it's a matter of time before everyone starts pulling their shows off of Hulu.

Both shows are ok. I'd rather watch something like Glenn Beck. He's funny and you can actually learn a little real history.

With that said it's a matter of time before everyone starts pulling their shows off of Hulu.

Oh god, I hate Glenn Beck too. He makes my skin crawl. (He's much like Larry King in that regard, though the two people are nothing alike.)

Back