Hulu Live TV Beta Launches: $40 for 50+ Channels and DVR

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Hulu’s experiment with live TV has officially begun, and that prediction of the service being $40/month was right on the money. While there are plenty of other pay-TV services, the company claims that theirs is the only one with live and on-demand channels, original series and films, and a library of premium streaming TV shows and movies all in one place. Remember: the $39.99-per-month base package includes Hulu’s existing $7.99 premium streaming offering, but you will still need to pay an additional $4 for removing the commercials.

Hulu CEO Mike Hopkins announced the launch [Wednesday] during the company's annual Upfront presentation, mentioning that it will feature channels like ESPN, Fox Sports, FX, USA, Viceland, CNN, Fox News and more. Extra cost add-ons include boosting the cloud DVR with 200 hours of storage, or "unlimited screens" streaming that lets users watch video simultaneously on as many devices as they want at their home, as well as up to three devices anywhere else. Both features cost $15 per month on their own, or they can be had together for $20. Beyond that, no commercials on the Hulu library is still $4, while Showtime is a flat $9 add-on and other premium channels are "coming soon."

40 bucks a month to have mostly useless channels available. On demand is the way to go.

Problem solved via caps:
a. that way 4k can be done in the year 2043 by the cable company, satellite company or phone company.
b. also this will help prevent you from watching tv on hulu in 1080p or someday 4k so you can enjoy 1080i in wisconsin by time warner cable now spectrum for only $80...

/s

I know I'm beating a dead horse with this, but WTF is the point of these companies offering a "Cloud DVR"? It's streaming, it has a source, that source should just be On-Demand without people needing to "DVR it".

I'm sure it is some way to get around licensing, but it just makes 0 sense.

I know I'm beating a dead horse with this, but WTF is the point of these companies offering a "Cloud DVR"? It's streaming, it has a source, that source should just be On-Demand without people needing to "DVR it".

I'm sure it is some way to get around licensing, but it just makes 0 sense.
I think you already answered your own question.
DVR is a way to get around time shifting and not rebroadcasting (in terms of fees).
Current broadcast laws are archaic and don't represent computer technology when it comes to streaming. Even the laws that make DVRing legal stem from people having vhs and recording shows themselves.

Channels are such an archaic concept. How about shows ala carte....and watch all that reality tv just suddenly disappear and hopefully sports along with it.

And where is the lower cost package without the expensive sports channels?

Add the internet bill to it and it's the same price. This doesn't do shit but screw you if you have data caps.

This is why internet costs almost as much as the whole TV/internet bundle.

On a side note F@&k you Comcast

FYI - Comcast has an ownership stake in Hulu....

So for all you guys that want to cut the cord and fight the powa - I highly suggest going with anyone other than Hulu (Amaon, Netflix, etc...)

Recreating cable TV with its packages and monthly fees using the internet and apps.

Nope, didn't see that coming /sarcasm

Back