Huge disappointment. Wishlist for patch #1 of BF2

i've decided that I'll have to just enjoy bf2 as a SP experience. I cna't seem to play multi, it just tends to crash on me. The menu is the worst fucking thing I've EVER SEEN.
I want a menu that is fast not one with a pretty movie in the background.
I want an indicator telling me how far along my server refresh is.
I want a favorite server/buddy list.
I want server filters that mean something(and work, unlike "not full").
I want to be able to play multiplayer...it's just a slideshow for me now. I was running at extremely modest settings, medium or low everything and I tried to give it time to settle down and smooth out but it wouldn't. SP is perfectly fine. I tried dropping all settings to low and test it again but of course I had to disconnect from the server to change video settings and when i tried ot refresh the server list the game locked and took my computer down.

Wait....I want my $50 back. :(

In case anyone cares: Barton 2500+, 1gb ram, 9800pro 256mb. Latest drivers.

Guys, alright maybe my AXP's weren't bad at 2.2, 2.3, and then 2.5GHz.... I mean like do you guys have Tbred A's or palomino's? Yikes dudes, should have bought a $40 TBredB like year and a half ago! OC'd B's and Bartons and the like are fine. Just in case others read this stuff they should know a recent xp is not high on the upgrade list if you're just looking to get this thing up and going witht the least replacements.

I won't bag on the video, ram would be good though. BF1942 was the first game for me to show a drastic improvement back then.... you know this is 2 after all. If you guys didnt notice BF1942 hitching with 512mb you're just not spoiled on the 1GB tip yet. :D

Stinn said:
i've decided that I'll have to just enjoy bf2 as a SP experience. I cna't seem to play multi, it just tends to crash on me. The menu is the worst fucking thing I've EVER SEEN.
I want an indicator telling me how far along my server refresh is.
I want server filters that mean something(and work, unlike "not full").
I want to be able to play multiplayer...it's just a slideshow for me now. I was running at extremely modest settings, medium or low everything and I tried to give it time to settle down and smooth out but it wouldn't. SP is perfectly fine. I tried dropping all settings to low and test it again but of course I had to disconnect from the server to change video settings and when i tried ot refresh the server list the game locked and took my computer down.

Wait....I want my $50 back. :(

I agree with you completely, I love the game and don't get crashes very often, but the serverbrowser and menus completely suck. Isn't a favorite server list a given? What was DICE thinking? No WS support, laggy menus that run at 30 fps, sucky server filters, suck serverbrowser, sucky bots that still suck. The bots are marginally better than before, but they still suck. They don't even obey traffic rules, I'm crossing the road on foot, then this humvee just comes hurtling at me, beeping and all, but with no attempt to brake. At least they attempt to heal when I'm low on health. This game is good, but still not as polished as HL2 or other first rate titles.

aranaxon said:
AMEN.

with the shitty server browser that has serious difficulty refreshing and staying updated, if I find a server I like, I don't want to commit the name to memory - I want to add it to a favorites. If I play with a few good players, I don't want their Email, AIM and all that shit just so I can randomly IM them about BF2 - I want a Steam-style friends.

Stop bitching on about this guy's hardware - his main complaints are about the GUI.

I AMEN you're AMEN. Lets get down to why we need a patch and less of your cpu sux. Regardless I hate the browser too but my main gripe is the Q function, I dont like to stop what I'm doing to hit Q, just to move my mouse to "need a pickup", I liked bf1942/V style Fkeys, WTF? Other than that I'm pretty much very happy with the game, I'm able to play on High @ 1680 x 1050 and It stays pretty playable.
-Rikus

Stinn said:

I used the tweak to get rid of all the movies (see www.tweakguides.com). I went into EA/Battlefield 2/mods/bf2/moviesand changed the "menu" files from .bik to .bak. Now in the menus my background is gray and my menus run very smooth.

I want a fav/buddies/history list. I want to know the name of the last server I played in.

Try OC'ing your 2500? My wife's PC has almost the same specs except for the processor, and she runs smooth on medium settings. Just a suggestion.

kpedge said:
I used the tweak to get rid of all the movies (see www.tweakguides.com). I went into EA/Battlefield 2/mods/bf2/moviesand changed the "menu" files from .bik to .bak. Now in the menus my background is gray and my menus run very smooth.

I want a fav/buddies/history list. I want to know the name of the last server I played in.

Try OC'ing your 2500? My wife's PC has almost the same specs except for the processor, and she runs smooth on medium settings. Just a suggestion.
i have played with oc'ing in the past, i got it running reliably at 2ghz but i had to run my proc fan at full speed instead of 7volt modded. I decided a quiet comp was better than a slightly faster comp.

I'll try the movie tweaks.

i have to agree. I wish i never bought this game everytime i try multiplayer it either takes an insane amount of time to load or doesnt load at all and crashes. And the GUI is the most boring thing i have ever seen, i was hoping for BF1942 except redone with better graphics, physics and more team oriented what i got was garbage.

I find it totally ridiculous that you people are complaining about BF2 on a hardware site. Even if said hardware site has a gaming forum. Why on earth would Dice or EA browse this forum when its hard enough to keep up with the constant threads on there own forums, Planet Battlefield with there BF2 forum, & all the other BF2 sites forums!?!?!?

If you want the best chance at being heard please go to the following.

EA BF2 Forum = http://forum.eagames.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=6&sid=943ae241368e6b0adf9d87a874ca1fae

Planet BF2 = http://www.forumplanet.com/planetbattlefield/

Total BF2 = http://forums.totalbf2.com/

Devourer said:
I find it totally ridiculous that you people are complaining about BF2 on a hardware site. Even if said hardware site has a gaming forum. Why on earth would Dice or EA browse this forum when its hard enough to keep up with the constant threads on there own forums, Planet Battlefield with there BF2 forum, & all the other BF2 sites forums!?!?!?

EA BF2 Forum = http://forum.eagames.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=6&sid=943ae241368e6b0adf9d87a874ca1fae

Although I don't find it to be ridiculous to have this discussion here I do agree with posting these complaints in the Forums mentioned above. Thanks for the links, D!

Discussing problems is 1 thing but this thread wasn't started that way. It was written directly to EA. & your welcome for the links. Lets hope a lot of fixes are on the way soon.

kick@ss said:

Still runs over 60fps at all resolutions and quality settings, so his point is proven.

The AXP 3200+ is more than enough CPU for any game out there. It's stupid that people will spend all their upgrade dollars on a fast A64 and NForce3 mobo, and put a midrange videocard like a 6600GT in it, thereby bottlenecking the system to worse performance than the older platform with a better videocard. Hell, even the 6800 Ultra and X850XT show meager gains from faster cpu's when the resolution and level of detail are high. Then again, more than half of the gamers surveyed still play at 1024x768 or lower!

anyone else have problem on teh finding server screen? i get more lag there then anywhere else. takes me 20 minutes to scroll through

thedork said:
anyone else have problem on teh finding server screen? i get more lag there then anywhere else. takes me 20 minutes to scroll through

yeah its pretty laggy in there
but thats not as bad as having every server i try to join be full
they need more servers stat =/

Devourer said:

Didn't you start this thread http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=919030 and you just copied and pasted your thread in here?
:confused:

OTL said:
Still runs over 60fps at all resolutions and quality settings, so his point is proven.

The AXP 3200+ is more than enough CPU for any game out there. It's stupid that people will spend all their upgrade dollars on a fast A64 and NForce3 mobo, and put a midrange videocard like a 6600GT in it, thereby bottlenecking the system to worse performance than the older platform with a better videocard. Hell, even the 6800 Ultra and X850XT show meager gains from faster cpu's when the resolution and level of detail are high. Then again, more than half of the gamers surveyed still play at 1024x768 or lower!

I only saw the AXP 3000+ on newegg, didn't see anymore 3200. Does that mean that if I spend $120 on an Athlon XP 3000+ OEM, I will see significant improvement in my BF2, jumping from my Athlon XP 2000+?

I already have a Volcano 9 on my CPU. Can I even take that off easily, then put it on the new CPU? (While I've built many parts of my pc, when it came to installing the CPU, I let a more experienced friend take care of that)

I wonder if it would be possible to mod a custom no nonsense menu, instead of waiting for EA to take care of the problem. I don't know the first thing about starting a project like this, but surely it wouldn't be that hard. The hardest part I would think, would be the code behind the server ping mechanism. The gui itself shouldn't be that hard to code, especially a text only. Thoughts??

Celeryman said:
I wonder if it would be possible to mod a custom no nonsense menu, instead of waiting for EA to take care of the problem. I don't know the first thing about starting a project like this, but surely it wouldn't be that hard. The hardest part I would think, would be the code behind the server ping mechanism. The gui itself shouldn't be that hard to code, especially a text only. Thoughts??
I don't think the SDK is released. Additionally, the first patch is supposed to enable external server browsers connecting to servers.

DJ Zaki said:
I only saw the AXP 3000+ on newegg, didn't see anymore 3200. Does that mean that if I spend $120 on an Athlon XP 3000+ OEM, I will see significant improvement in my BF2, jumping from my Athlon XP 2000+?

Other games show a 33% spread between the 2000+ and 3000+, so it should provide a nice boost in BF2--but, I would try to get my hands on either a genuine 3200+ or a 2500+ mobile (and overclock it to at least 3200+ speed) to maximize the performance of your platform. The ram is still going to be holding the system back, so if you've decided to stick with your platform you sould get some more before you do anything else. You may just find that the 2000+ handles the game well enough once you've got an adequate amount of memory.

I already have a Volcano 9 on my CPU. Can I even take that off easily, then put it on the new CPU? (While I've built many parts of my pc, when it came to installing the CPU, I let a more experienced friend take care of that)

It's not that simple. You have to remove the heatsink and clean it with a medical grade alcohol (not rubbing alcohol) and a lint free cloth, gauze, or cotton ball without transferring any oils from your hands to the contact surface. Same procedure for the CPU core. Then spread a uniform paper thin coating of thermal paste on the CPU core until you can't see any part of it through the paste. Wipe off any excess that has slopped onto the sides with a q-tip. Follow the manufacturers directions which will specify whether or not no apply any thermal paste to the heatsink's contact surface. Then it's just a matter of orienting the heatsink correctly to the socket and securing the clips to the socket lugs without wiggling the heatsink around too much, which will scrape off thermal paste and lead you to repeat the process until you get it just right. Use of a flathead screwdriver to get that last clip on is necessary. All of this should be done while grounded with a wrist strap.

Here's a link to AMD's Socket A video guides.

bonkrowave said:
Ya thats great you can post a bunch of reviews and benchmarks. Doesn't change the fact that I can play HL2 and Doom3 and 1920x1080i with no problems and Battlefield 2 has problems.

Hell the review you posted at http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2038&p=5

Shows there to be a difference of only 6.3 fps, in Aquamark, between an Athlon xp 3000+ (slower then mine) and an Athlon 64 FX 53. So for 6.3 more frames I should spend how much .... hahahah yeah right.

Performance is subjective. I doubt I'd find Doom 3 at 1920x1080 playable or smooth on your machine. Not unless you've bumped the quality WAY down. However you obviously do.

BF2 does look good if you turn EVERYTHING up.

OTL said:

Alot of the so called gamers aren't necessarily hardware enthusiests. I've seen many people just start up a game and play on whatever all the defaults are.

BTW a mid range card like the 6600GT rapes a 9700Pro. Don't forget the huge leap this generation has over the last one. So even if they went to a A64 3200+ and a 6600GT it would rape the AXP 3200+ /9700Pro combo.

The AXP 3200+ may have the numbers 3200+ as does the A64 3200+. Believe me they aren't the same performance level at all.

The original poster isn't playing with a AXP 3200+ either. He's using a 2000+. I didn't look at his mobo or ram situation, but reguardless that combo with a 9700Pro is pretty well under mid range gaming PC's in this day and age.

He won't get superb performance out of any newer generation games without an upgrade. Simple as that. With his combo medium level settings with higher resolutions should be playable yes.

The AXP 3200+ is enough CPU for any game out there. In no way does it remotely compare with the Athlon 64's. The 9700Pro though is getting long in the tooth. Its well under the performance of today's midrange cards.

kevin1211 said:
they should make it so at the start of the round, you are FORCED to join/make a squad...

you get points for squade work, let peoepl earn it, I mostly amd squader leader, but some times I go loan wolf...what are snipers??? Alot of the time when there is a good commander, it liek one big squade i just take orders form him...

kevin1211 said:
they should make it so at the start of the round, you are FORCED to join/make a squad...
Yeah so many noobs don't even know that there are squads in the first place... and furthermore the voice comms really help.
edit - PS a good place to find where friends are is www.BF2Tracker.com

Strangeness... When you change the camera angle in an attack chopper, then switch to TV missles, then switch back, the camera is back at default. It should remember where the camera is positioned. This is a VERY small complaint. :) They GOTTA fix the hit box problem, though. That is a HUGE complaint. :) Overall, though, I keep lovin' this game. It gets SO good when you get together with some guys that team up.

Back