Huffington Post to Ban Internet Troll Comments

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Arianna Huffington, Editor-In-Chief of the Huffington Post has announced that beginning next month, anonymous posts will no longer be allowed. Stating that malicious posts are usually made by Internet trolls looking at nothing more than to disrupt the flow of information, like to remain anonymously in the background.

In other words, the Internet "trolls," or nasty anonymous commenters, have gotten worse. The Boston Globe, which covered Huffington's speech, quoted her as saying that "trolls have become more and more aggressive and uglier."

No, what they want is to control the news, and giving the people a voice prevents that, so they heavily moderate it.

They want to delete comments that either point out inaccuracies or stupidity of their editor in the story, or comments that they find offensive.

I'm not politically correct by any means, on this site or others, but I make my points quite plainly and clearly. Still, I had my comments and account banned from the Houston Chronicle for remarks on the incident and very important factual omissions that were pointed out by other news outlets.

I'm sure I'm not alone, but if they moderate it as quickly as the Chron does, there is no real way to know as they can purge users and comments so quickly so that you only end up with the side of the story the editor wants.

BTW, we talk big about "freedom of speech", but in the modern world where your mainstream outlets are always going to be controlled by third party that naturally can censor as they see fit (and lately are more and more heavy handed about it), how are you really supposed to be able to exercise that right?

Sure, you could go out in your back yard and say something, but if you use a bullhorn you'll be arrested for disturbing the peace. Your mainstream gmail, facebook, google+, twitter, AT&T cellphone, AOL blogs (they own a ton), etc are all private entities, so if they want to ban people from saying "Obama sucks" then they can. And with television and radio and the like, heck with that Imus guy saying "nappy headed ho" off the cuff and they basically destroyed him after such a long career.

So I always laugh when people say that we have freedom of speech in the US which makes us so much better than China. LOL! Maybe in theory, but not in practice.

Freedom of speech only pertains to the government anyone besides the government can censor as much as they want. People bitch about government all the time they forget that business can do alot more to you then government can, we chain government down but people want business to run wild because you know that's what the business' controlled media outlets told them is right.

I have no problem with this. With all the sewage being spewed in comment sections these days up to and including death threats, I have absolutely no problem with not letting chicken shit commenters hide under anonymity. Too bad we can't do that on internet forums as well.

I post on a car audio forum where a lot of competitors post as well and it's funny how civil everybody is to one another because there's a good chance you'll run into people at a show somewhere. Trolls are cowards by nature and if there's a chance their bullshit might actually result in an ass whoopin', they tend to be a lot friendlier.

I have no problem with this. With all the sewage being spewed in comment sections these days up to and including death threats, I have absolutely no problem with not letting chicken shit commenters hide under anonymity.
Death threats were never a widespread problem, please, and when made that would be reported to the police and no an IP is not really anonymous.

And what was wrong with the systems that allow the community to police themselves? If a comment is flagged as SPAM or with in red with 20 thumbs down score next to it, just ignore it. I'll never understand why some people have such delicate sensibilities that they'd prefer widespread censorship over occasionally seeing someone post something stupid and skipping over it. :confused:

Isn't the Huffington Post one big trolling website anyway? It's like the liberal version of the Drudge Report.

They are trying to keep / give the comments and debate about any given news article they publish a healthy arena for discussion. There's nothing complicated or sinister about it. Internet trolls are void of any real intelligence. And even the ones with brains are so biased you can't help but pray to god they don't have kids or are in any type of leadership role.

For a minute, I thought Arianna Huffington was talking about herself. She certainly qualifies as a troll.

Yes, more censorship is necessary. Let's do it under the helping you platform.

Death threats were never a widespread problem, please, and when made that would be reported to the police and no an IP is not really anonymous.

And what was wrong with the systems that allow the community to police themselves? If a comment is flagged as SPAM or with in red with 20 thumbs down score next to it, just ignore it. I'll never understand why some people have such delicate sensibilities that they'd prefer widespread censorship over occasionally seeing someone post something stupid and skipping over it. :confused:

How is this censorship? It's not even close. You can still comment and post what you want to, you just can't do it anonymously anymore. The government is the only entity that can censor you. A stupid, hack, newspaper wannabe website like the Huff Post cannot censor you. And even if they could, requiring you to own the bullshit you post instead of hiding behind a chicken shit anonymous screen name wouldn't be censorship either.

Again, I don't see the problem. If you stand by what you say and post, then why do you want to hide behind anonymity.

Obviously anonymity allows honesty, but truth be told here is an insane amount of trolling there. Just random comments by people saying "must be a democrat" after some maniac goes on a shooting spree and crap like that. Personally I always found it easier to just ignore them, it was pretty obvious when someone was trolling.

Again, I don't see the problem. If you stand by what you say and post, then why do you want to hide behind anonymity.

Ummm, maybe because I should be able to communicate without validation of who I am. Ever heard of hate crimes? Walking down the street talking to strangers or doing it on private property (a store) doesnt require ID to communicate...right now either. Maybe I don't want stupid (and crazy) people to know I support gays getting married (it's a trap...lol) being a straight male, or abortions when the fuck ever they're wanted. Maybe I should be able to whisper a comment without getting the permanent association of that specific comment.

Maybe you want something great taken away (you aren't just referring to this site IMO)
because you can't ignore the few trolls.

I shouldn't have to stand by what I say and post, permanntly, on the record anyway. The same way I shouldn't have to show ID to enter into a normal private establishment where communication occurs.

BTW, we talk big about "freedom of speech", but in the modern world where your mainstream outlets are always going to be controlled by third party that naturally can censor as they see fit (and lately are more and more heavy handed about it), how are you really supposed to be able to exercise that right?

Sure, you could go out in your back yard and say something, but if you use a bullhorn you'll be arrested for disturbing the peace. Your mainstream gmail, facebook, google+, twitter, AT&T cellphone, AOL blogs (they own a ton), etc are all private entities, so if they want to ban people from saying "Obama sucks" then they can. And with television and radio and the like, heck with that Imus guy saying "nappy headed ho" off the cuff and they basically destroyed him after such a long career.

So I always laugh when people say that we have freedom of speech in the US which makes us so much better than China. LOL! Maybe in theory, but not in practice.

Why do so many people(like you) fail so miserably at understanding freedom of speech?

Freedom of speech means you get to start your own newspaper, make your own pamphlets, start your own website, run your own forums, etc.

It does not mean your local newspaper is required to publish whatever you feel like. For example, I can't send an email to my local paper demanding they print "Ducman69 IS A MORON" in giant text on the front page, and then whine that they blocked my freedom of speech. What I can do is go down to the local copy shop and have them print 5,000 flyers that I can distribute(as long as I don't end up violating some ordinance, like tresspassing to stick them on cars, but I could just stand on a street corner and hand them out). The 1st amendment allows you to spend your own resources to get your message out. It does not require a private entity to allow you to do whatever you want.

] I'll never understand why some people have such delicate sensibilities that they'd prefer widespread censorship over occasionally seeing someone post something stupid and skipping over it. :confused:

I'll never understand why every website in the world needs to have some sort of comment or "feedback" section, especially news sites. It's the news, is it simply some electronic way for you to express your feelings on the subject and it feels more real doing so on the news site you read rather than some off-topic subforum on a random message board?

If mistakes were actually made in a news article then email the editor, posting in a comments section about how an article is rife with error is probably a tad less effective than signing some online petition.

They want to delete comments that either point out inaccuracies or stupidity of their editor in the story, or comments that they find offensive.
My first thought. Nowadays a lot of comment on newspapers are just that, pointing out how bad the article is.

Isn't the Huffington Post one big trolling website anyway? It's like the liberal version of the Drudge Report.

Yup, just like every website owned by AOL: Huffington Post, Engadget, TMZ.
They're all filled with click-bait "articles" and have more ads then content.

Ummm, maybe because I should be able to communicate nicate without validation of who I am. Ever heard of hate crimes? Walking down the street talking to strangers or doing it on private property (a store) doesnt require ID to communicate...right now either. Maybe I don't want stupid (and crazy) people to know I support gays getting married (it's a trap...lol) being a straight male, or abortions when the fuck ever they're wanted. Maybe I should be able to whisper a comment without getting the permanent association of that specific comment.

Ummm, you have ZERO right to comment on somebody else's website. ZERO! If you don't want people knowing what your opinion is, don't give it.

Maybe you want something great taken away (you aren't just referring to this site IMO)
because you can't ignore the few trolls.

Overreact much? A blog making you register before you comment isn't even close to being something great taken away. Just LOL at that. Yeah, we gotta register on Huff Post. Child slavery is next.

I shouldn't have to stand by what I say and post, permanntly, on the record anyway. The same way I shouldn't have to show ID to enter into a normal private establishment where communication occurs.

Again, you have no right to go onto somebody else's property and run your mouth. The Huff Post is private property and they have every right to make their own admission policies. And again, if you don't want people knowing what you think about something, stay off comment sections. Nobody from Huff Post is coming to your house and forcing you at gunpoint to comment.

ESPN did the same thing by requiring Facebook to be able to comment on any articles.

The number of comments from Lakers and Heat fans still butt-hurt about the Mavericks' championship in 2011 suddenly dropped big time.

Why do so many people(like you) fail so miserably at understanding freedom of speech?
An ironic comment since you clearly have reading comprehension issues if you think that's what I was debating or that there was any confusion in that respect. *picardfacepalm*

How is this censorship? It's not even close. You can still comment and post what you want to, you just can't do it anonymously anymore. The government is the only entity that can censor you. A stupid, hack, newspaper wannabe website like the Huff Post cannot censor you. And even if they could, requiring you to own the bullshit you post instead of hiding behind a chicken shit anonymous screen name wouldn't be censorship either.

This post is a poster child for why I DON'T want to have to identify with a real ID on forums/comments/etc. ;). By the way, censorship is censorship whether done by a government, moderator, site owner, newspaper, or an individual.... it's forbidding you to say or write X. With how crazy people are online including murders over comments or games, death threats, all kinds of 4chan stupidity, and general foolishness, only a fool would want to be forced to use a real ID at all times online.

No only the government can force you at the point of a gun to be quiet. The Huffington Post cannot keep you from saying anything. They can delete it off their website but you can make your own website and post it there. You're not being silenced at all. Only the government has the power to truly censor. Like I said, you don't have a right to post things on somebody else's website so that can't be censorship. You do have a right to speak your mind though in a public forum or on public property but only the government has the power to stop you from doing that.

And I see what you're saying and it's a fair point. If I post I like the Bee Gees on some website and some loon thinks they're the spawn of the devil (which they might be) he might want to come kill me.

However, I don't think that's a big concern. Billions of people are on Facebook and Twitter already so apparently there isn't that big a concern over privacy or being stalked. It's just on sites like these where micro dicked losers are posting all their rot gut and they don't want to be held accountable for their crap. And besides, I don't think they're talking about listing your street address or anything.

And one more time, if you're afraid of some nut job coming and killing you over a post on Huffington Post, don't post there.

I'm registered there and love to post my opinion just to get in their craw. But, it's a purely Lib website at the most they don't want anons posting stuff that's beyond just an opinion. Though some of the usual posters on there can get quite nasty themselves.

And one more time, if you're afraid of some nut job coming and killing you over a post on the internet, don't post using your real info.

FTFY

Carry on. :)

Amazed that anyone thinks this is a bad idea.

They can do whatever the want, I just find it funny and kind of hypocritical that a website based on click-bait articles and trolls is banning trolls. If they ban all of the trolls they're not gonna have any readers. :eek:

ESPN did the same thing by requiring Facebook to be able to comment on any articles.

The number of comments from Lakers and Heat fans still butt-hurt about the Mavericks' championship in 2011 suddenly dropped big time.

Yeah I noticed that on the NFL side of things too, I didn't have a facebook even though I was registered with ESPN just gave up on it. But yeah San Francisco and Seattle fans at each other's throats, dunno where the hell that came from either within the last year or two, I think it's just the online commando mentality.

An ironic comment since you clearly have reading comprehension issues if you think that's what I was debating or that there was any confusion in that respect. *picardfacepalm*

So other than complaining about how a private entity doesn't want to let you use their website as your anonymous soap box to post as you please, just what were you arguing then? The people that run huffington post, hardocp, or any other website can delete whatever comments they please, and it has NOTHING to do with the 1st amendment. Your entire post is full of fail complaining about how at&t, facebook, gmail, etc. somehow infringe on your freedom of speech. They do not. You need to start your own website, and when you run your own website hosted on your own servers paying for your own bandwidth, then you go to post what you want.

What you seem to want is the ability to post whatever you want on someone else's website just because you feel that you should be able to. That's not how freedom of speech works, and it isn't how the internet works.

Huffington Post is nothing like the Drudge Report, actually. Huffington Post has liberal editorials that masquerade as objective articles and are written by its in-house and freelance coumnists, while Drudge Report merely posts links to news stories that are hosted elsewhere, including links to Huffington Post. The only conservative editorializing that goes on at Drudge Report is in the news headlines' names or descriptions. It is on a rare occasion that Matt Drudge authors an original piece; the only one that immediately comes to mind is when he broke the Lewinsky scandal.

their forum, their rules imho...
Exactly.

A lot of sites require registration in order to post ([H] included) and some sites moderate all comments so they don't even appear until approved.

And I'd rather skip all the spam posts. Commenting on news sites and blogs has become a huge target for spammers.

Personally, I think it's a good step for HuffPo.

Among the websites I visit the largest percentage don't allow anonymous comments. How is one site out of the rest of the wonderful world web moving to this policy even remotely newsworthy?

No, what they want is to control the news, and giving the people a voice prevents that, so they heavily moderate it.

"Giving the people a voice."

If you think the comments section on a major news website is "giving the people a voice." You need to look again. There is literally nothing worth reading in those comment sections. I'd say by allowing comments at all, they are wasting their time and just creating an unnecessary moderation workload.

Nobody who wants to say something important does so in some comment section on some news website. The only thing you find there are trolls and people so radically partisan that they are indistinguishable from trolls.

Back