Huddle House Affected by Data Breach in Its Point of Sale Systems

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Huddle House has been affected by a data breach in its point of sale system. A third party point of sale (POS) vendor's data system was compromised and hackers used the vendor's tools to gain remote access--and the ability to deploy malware--onto the POS systems at numerous Huddle House franchise and corporate locations. Law enforcement and Huddle House's credit card processor notified the company that it was the victim of a malicious cyber-attack. A malware intrusion was discovered in some point of sale systems at certain corporate and franchised locations. The company immediately contracted an IT and security firm within 24 hours to determine the facts and prevent further attacks.

Huddle House doesn't know how many of its locations were infected with the malware. If you used a payment card at a Huddle House location between August 1, 2017 and present, your payment card information may be at risk. The investigation is still ongoing to determine the scope of this attack. The malware was designed to collect certain payment card information from the magnetic stripe, including cardholder name, credit/debit card number, expiration date, cardholder verification value, and service code. Huddle House recommends that its customers contact the three credit agencies for a free credit report and to notify their banks and card issuer. They even explain how customers can place a security freeze on their credit report.

In less than 24 hours from learning of the intrusion, we engaged a leading IT investigation and security firm to determine the facts and contain the intrusion and commenced remediation procedures. We have deployed additional IT security measures to reduce the risk of further attacks. Huddle House has worked aggressively with third-party forensic experts and federal law enforcement on this investigation, which is ongoing. Even if you used your payment card at one of the locations involved, it does not mean you will be affected by this issue. Out of an abundance of caution, you may want to review and monitor your payment card statements if you used a payment card at an affected location during the referenced dates. If you believe your payment card may have been affected, please contact your bank or card issuer immediately.

Huddle House > Denny's (but only by a little)

It's not a big chain, so I'm not sure they can do much when someone hacks their third-party point-of-sale system. I'd be more interested in who sold them the POS.

If they're liable they might be able to offer free drinks with a dinner purchase to all affected customers.

I had never heard of them before either.

I'm guessing it's a thing that only exists in the south?

Ain't none down here that I know of.

EDIT: Reckon there are some about 60 miles north of here. Chain is based out of Atlanta.

Ain't none down here that I know of.

EDIT: Reckon there are some about 60 miles north of here. Chain is based out of Atlanta.

Atlanta isn't the south?

Heck, where I'm from we consider Rhode Island the deep south :p

I ate that one of those toilets when I was driving to Florida from DC last year. Just a greasy spoon IMHO. Thank god I paid in cash.

It took the POS company 16 months to realize that they were infected. That said, who else do they service and how many other places were infected? I find it hard to believe this company was infected and the people selected only Huddle House out of their customer base to steal data from.

I had never heard of them before either.

I'm guessing it's a thing that only exists in the south?

https://locations.huddlehouse.com/index.html

a good number of them are in the south, few in the Midwest.

I came across a few of them on my way driving to St Louis last year.

It is like a lower end Waffle House, if you can believe such a thing exists.

Negative. Awful House is the worst breakfast food restaurant chain that exists. Its a sewer of a place. It's akin to a portable toilet on a construction site a couple hours after the roach coach has had its daily visit and everyone's eaten the tacos because that's the "safest" thing on the menu. The worst one is in Mesquite Texas. Years ago I was in there meeting someone when I saw a waitress doubling as a cook. She had a cigarette in her mouth with an ash on it that was damn near the length of a fresh cigarette while cooking. She looked like the Crypt Keeper and sounded like she had throat cancer. Waffle Houses in general are about as clean as a truck stop or a peep show floor that hasn't been mopped for months.

It would be more sanitary to fuck a recently used flesh light found in a dumpster than it would be to eat at Waffle House.

There’s like a thousand Waffle House locations. They aren’t all that bad. I spent 6 years in SC and Huddle House always seemed even more sketchy to me. I’ve only been to two of them so idk... just don’t ask me to do a comprehensive study of shitty breakfast franchises lol.

The dirtiest restaurant I’ve seen was a local Hooters. It got shut down by the health department... permanently. I know not all of them are that bad though. IHOP is pretty sketchy too these days.

It all depends on the area. If your in a shithole area then the people there probably don't really care how they make your food.

There’s like a thousand Waffle House locations. They aren’t all that bad. I spent 6 years in SC and Huddle House always seemed even more sketchy to me. I’ve only been to two of them so idk... just don’t ask me to do a comprehensive study of shitty breakfast franchises lol.

The dirtiest restaurant I’ve seen was a local Hooters. It got shut down by the health department... permanently. I know not all of them are that bad though. IHOP is pretty sketchy too these days.

I've been to about a half dozen Awful Waffles. Only one of them was clean and served decent food. The One Huddle House I know of is really nice.

It took the POS company 16 months to realize that they were infected. That said, who else do they service and how many other places were infected? I find it hard to believe this company was infected and the people selected only Huddle House out of their customer base to steal data from.

yeah, it would be ODD to only select the one company

Back