Huawei: “We’re Doing The Nexus Again This Year”

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Huawei’s Nexus 6P was pretty well received, so this is probably excellent news for many—but I’m praying they do not use that same bottom back panel design again, as most were not flush with the rest of the body.

“The Nexus product is a very niche product… the techies love it but there’s a very small number of people that buy it. Hence Cellucity only brought 300… into the country,” she explained. “…The operators generally don’t take up the Nexus device,” Munilall added. “That said, the distributors, our open market, do bring in the device, that’s how Cellucity got it… and that will still be the same this year. We’re doing the Nexus again this year, by the way,” she explained.

I returned the Galaxy S7 when it was proven to have a locked bootloader, thus no root, and bought the 6P. It's a bit of an adjustment not having stationary buttons, but it's a really good phone and I don't miss any Samsung gadgets.

The "bottom back panel" on mine is fine, so I'm not familiar with that issue.

When I choose a phone or mobile device (which usually means some form of Android today), openness is of great importance. Yes, I want "flagship" level hardware but I don't want to give up an unlockable bootloader, rooting, custom recovery, and the knowledge that I can flash whatever ROMs I like for my OS. Atop that, openness means that there will likely be a significant enthusiast community making those ROMs and mods. Now, I'd prefer also to have swift official updates to Android from Google and compatibility with the latest Google software, should I want it. Thus, I can choose anything from the very newest Stock Google experience to an AOSP/Cyanogen/Omni or other ROM and choose not to flash GApps if so inclined.

Generally, it is only the Nexus devices that give me these options and I've been faithfully buying them since the original Nexus One days. This isn't to say some other manufacturers/brands aren't making an effort - the OnePlus One was an excellent offering for its time, and newer OnePlus devices are definitely worth a look. I'd like to see more "Open Flagship" style Nexus competitors, but I'll certainly be keeping my eye on the next generation Nexus. I just wish they'd release a bit earlier in the year, relative to when chipsets and hardware upgrades are announced. Having a typical Nov release window means that even if your Nexus is one of the ones that could truly be called a "Flagship", it may miss incorporating the newest tech by just a few months. My Nexus 6 has served well, but as its going to be 2 generations old I'll be looking carefully at the new replacement. I'm not sure how to feel about Huawei manufacturing it again, but I wonder if this will be another "Flagship priced" device that is not sold via wireless carriers. If it won't be sold by carriers (in the US) unlike the original Nexus 6, then they either really need to make it just the most fabulous high tech, feature filled phone that will exist that generation to justify the price. I rather liked the idea during the Nexus 4 and 5 (and maybe 5x + 6P?) days where the Nexus was in the $300-400 range yet boasted $600+ range specs, as sort of a "gift" to the handful of enthusiasts who better the Android community who are likely to buy the phone - app developers, modders, ROM creators and the like.

Guess we'll see what they offer this year, but they can't really afford to set the bar any lower than whatever maxed out Samsung, Sony, or HTC that rolls out.

Fairly certain the dovetail joints and weak spots around the power button make this rather foldy.

Never had a physical problem with my 6P. Out of all my phones, it's probably the first one that I've started to put into my back pocket at times (not sure why I started the habit now but...). I've accidentally sat on it a several times, I dropped it a couple of times and nothing has happened to it.

I think these videos don't necessarily paint a true picture. When you go to extraordinary lengths to target and exploit a weakness, of course you can cause damage. That's not to say these videos are completely useless either; if it serves to give ideas to build a better product, that's a plus. But often, despite the sugar coating, these videos serve to diminish the phone in it's real world setting. The 6P is a great phone and this hardware "flaw" will not affect 99% of users (yea, I know, I pulled that out of my arse but you get the point).

That being said, Bluetooth has always been a bit of a witch but Marshmallow (6.0) has taken it to a whole other level. That's my biggest gripe with this phone (which is a consequence of BT/6.0 in general and not necessarily the hardware).

I returned the Galaxy S7 when it was proven to have a locked bootloader, thus no root

Just for the record, a locked bootloader has nothing to do with root potential or even practice - a locked bootloader prevents custom kernels and typically custom ROMs, but root is still entirely possible if some developer discovers a way in. I'm on an LG G Flex 2 these days, with a locked bootloader that will most likely never be unlocked (because it's a niche product no developers give a flying fuck about and LG certainly won't do it, unfortunately) and mine is happily rooted because someone discovered not only a working root aka "a way in" but also I can install modified system img files as well by flashing those directly.

And for the record, the Galaxy S7 and the S7 Edge have been rooted for some time now. :)

It'd be cool if Google did two sizes like they did last year. I got the 5X because the 6p is too large for my liking.
I absolutely love the 5X. Hopefully a 5X form factor with wireless charging is in the pipe.

Back