Huawei’s New Quick Charge Tech Can Charge Smartphone To 50% In Five Minutes

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
If I’m not mistaken, these charging speeds are far superior to competing quick-charge technologies. Wish their Nexus 6P had this.

On Friday at the Battery Symposium in Japan, Huawei revealed its next-generation quick change technology. The exciting new tech was developed at Watt Lab, a division of the Central Research Institute at Huawei. According to the company, this new technology is capable of charging compatible batteries up to 10 times faster than normal lithium-ion batteries.

Exciting. Bigger question I have is how long does it take to go from 50% to 100%? Quick charge for 5 minutes for the first half but the second half takes 4 hours.

Exciting. Bigger question I have is how long does it take to go from 50% to 100%? Quick charge for 5 minutes for the first half but the second half takes 4 hours.
I'm not sure why any battery maker would take such a product to market if that were the case. Huawei isn't the only company to make quick partial charge batteries, and none on the market perform any worse than standard charging speed batteries. So what you're suggesting is pretty unlikely.

This sounds like something that will be ruining your batteries pretty quickly.
The press release has more details. The battery has a new anode design built to reliably withstand that charging rate.

So is this just a proof of concept demo? Because if you need to remove your battery every time you want to charge that would be quite inconvenient (presumably the USB port would be a bottleneck which is why this must be done)

It's a chicken/egg problem. The charging rate of existing phones wouldn't be able to demonstrate how much faster the prototype battery can charge. Given the venue (battery symposium) it is more of a demonstration than something that can be fully used in existing phones. Almost certainly Huawei will support such a battery in its own devices once those are redesigned.

That's a good point though. It will essentially take a power brick as shown in the videos to charge it at such a high rate. My ultrabook has a relatively tiny 38W charger, but it's a lot larger (4-5x) than a standard 1A/2.1A phone charger. The concept is great, but in practice it could be a lot less practical.

(I mean 4-5x larger than the tiny cube style USB chargers with a plug on one end)

If the the Peoples Republic is to collect data on the western capitalist pigs, it requires their phones to stay charged!

What they don't mention is that your phone will work for 4 hours between 100 and 50%. From 49-0% it will work for 12 minutes.

I'm pretty happy with Qualcomm's Quickcharge 2.0 on my Sony Xperia Z5 Compact... would be even happier with faster...

...even though I don't see battery charge values under 60% at the end of the day, ever. :D

What they don't mention is that your phone will work for 4 hours between 100 and 50%. From 49-0% it will work for 12 minutes.
What they actually mentioned is that the phone would have 10 hours of talk time from a 48% charge. But it's probably not worth clicking the links or trying to find out anything real because imagination is magic or whatever.

The press release has more details. The battery has a new anode design built to reliably withstand that charging rate.
Doesn't matter too much quick charge slow charge the only difference is how efficiently it fills the battery and produces heat. Discharge kills the battery that doesn't change.

What about the cons such as impact on longevity? Still using a batter from 2012 that's still going strong and it charges fast enough.

Back