Huawei-Powered Desktop PC Tested, Eight-Core 7nm Kunpeng 920 Processor

Would you give a Huawei-powered HEDT a whirl?

• Total voters

erek

[H]F Junkie
Would you give a Huawei-powered HEDT a whirl? C'mon you've already admitted to accepting the ARM-based Macs!

"According to IC Insights, China-native vendors only produce 6.1% of the country's total silicon consumption, and a recent report indicates the country will fall far short of its 2025 goals for 70% semiconductor self-sufficiency, instead only hitting one-third of its original target.

The country has invested heavily in multiple native semiconductor producers and their projects, with its multi-pronged efforts including chips like the x86 Zhaoxin KaiXian processor we recently tested. The EPYC-based Hygon Dryhana x86 processors were also developed under a joint venture with AMD that was later scuttled by the US government, and we've also seen signs that Huawei is testing a desktop PC design with AMD's Ryzen 4000 series processors. The latter shows that Huawei might also be pursuing an x86 route into the desktop PC market, albeit with non-native processors."

https://www.techpowerup.com/269454/huawei-desktop-pc-with-kunpeng-920-processor-teased-and-tested

If I wanted to experience ARM PC on a locked-down platform , I would just buy a Mac - At least then the performance bump would be worth the lock-down :rolleyes:

There's no way the performance of this will be faster than Samsung's (already abandoned) custom ARM cores, and then you have to thrown in x86 emulation overhead (for many Linux apps).

Blender SHOULD be running natively on ARM , so that i s pretty disappointing - the Zen 1.0 1700 3.2 ghz performs it three times faster (with the exact same 128-bit vector units)

Their core design only has a single NEON unit per-core, so I guess it's understandable - Zen 1 has TWO AVX 128-bit units.

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/hisilicon/microarchitectures/taishan_v110

I'd totally use a Chinese CPU, if and only if their system of governance changes to an open liberal (small L) democracy which respects intellectual property and human rights and becomes a responsible player on the international market.

I'm not holding my breath though.

As long as they are into IP theft and industrial espionage and compromising my shit is only an order from an intelligence officer away, you would have to be a complete fool to use any Chinese designed hardware, including phones, computers, etc.

Lenovo, Xiaomi, Huawei, Motorola, ZTE, OnePlus, Honor, you name it. Extremely foolish to use any of these brands until China changes completely politically.

Tank-Man1.jpg

Also, is 8-core still considered "HEDT"? I feel like 8 core has moved mainstream now.

Right, and whipping out the HEDT is also misdirected, as these are not floating-point powerhouses - each core only has a single NEON unit.

They are integer-focused cores, meant for cloud servers (but repurposed for desktop because ARM isn't letting them use licensed cores anymore)

Right, and whipping out the HEDT is also misdirected, as these are not floating-point powerhouses - each core only has a single NEON unit.

They are integer-focused cores, meant for cloud servers (but repurposed for desktop because ARM isn't letting them use licensed cores anymore)

Interesting. How did they lose their ability to use ARM cores?

Interesting. How did they lose their ability to use ARM cores?

Ahh. Did some Googling on my own.

While ARM is a UK-based company, its chip designs contain technology that originated in the U.S. and subsequently are believed to be subject to the Commerce Department’s blanket ban.

Link.

I did not realize ARM technology was subject to U.S. export restrictions.

I'd use it.

With a fake name address phone number email address and everything else on public wifi with a fresh steam account using gift cards..

I'd test it out but I wouldn't put it into a production capacity of any kind that's for sure.

Does it come bundled with a free backdoor for the Chinese government to spy on users?

Does it come bundled with a free backdoor for the Chinese government to spy on users?
The US Senate is trying to push the same crap, forced back door for government.
https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/new...tech-companies-to-help-access-encrypted-data/
You trust our government to use this appropriately? You think forcing a known way around encryption won't be figures out by other countries trying to spy? The government is basically trying to hand out all of your info to the Chinese and Russia rather than make them have to try to get it via other means. So it's possible you will soon have a backdoor without any need to purchase from the Chinese ;).

A whirl, sure. But I'd never perform actions on it tied to money or private information.

The real question is, is there a company that isn't going to beat Intel to 7nm!?

Back