Huawei P20 Pro Cheats in Geekbench

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Amid allegations that Huawei devices are "cheating" in 3D benchmarks like 3DMark and GFXBench, Shrout Research found that the Huawei P20 Pro artificially inflates Geekbench scores. Ryan Shrout ran the public version of Geekbench and a "private version" with a renamed executable back to back, and found some drastic performance differences. The Kirin 970 device's single core score dropped 6.5% when using the private Geekbench app, while the multi core score dropped 16.7%. This suggests the SOC runs at an artificially high power state when the OS detects certain benchmarks.

Some have asked me why this issue matters; if the hardware is clearly capable of performance like this, why should Huawei and HiSilicon not be able to present it that way? The higher performance results that 3DMark, GFXBench, and now Geekbench show are not indicative of the performance consumers get with their devices on real applications. The entire goal of benchmarks and reviews is to try to convey the experience a buyer would get for a smartphone, or anything else for that matter.

LOL nice. if all it took was to rename the EXE file to get very different results, then you know its rigged.

Reading the article you see they claim they use a "AI" powered resource scheduler and the "special case" of benchmarking provided full access to the resources.

This is rather sad attempt to gain one over on competitors as users won't see this same performance in every day cases; Shame as the Kirin 970 SoC is well designed and very capable but marketing tricks just wrecked its image.

Reading the article you see they claim they use a "AI" powered resource scheduler and the "special case" of benchmarking provided full access to the resources.

This is rather sad attempt to gain one over on competitors as users won't see this same performance in every day cases; Shame as the Kirin 970 SoC is well designed and very capable but marketing tricks just wrecked its image.

Nope I didn't read the article but your reply caught my attention... Sounds like what NVidia is doing with 2080 ? Wonder how many game will get the preference treatment.

As long as there are fixed, predictable norms in bench marks there will be companies cheating the system.

Those "rogue" VW Engineers are now working for Huawei. ;-)

They'll blame it on a worker bee leaving a debug-only "optimization" in.

Chinese companies cheating? Hardly a surprise. It is in companies best interest to lie cheat and steal to do whatever they can to get ahead.

When companies in Western nationns like VW, Intel and Nvidia do this, it is clearly Tobe expectes that the Chinese do it even worse.

Another in a long line of reasons why I would not by a Chinese brand phone.

Back