Huawei Claims the Kirin 980 is Faster than Apple

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
During a product brief in Dubai, Huawei suggested that the Kirin 980 SOC found in their upcoming Mate 20 Pro will be faster than the Apple A12 Bionic found in the iPhone XS. In the SOC's announcement, HiSilicon cited much higher performance gains over the previous generation than Apple 40% power efficiency improvement claim, but it's interesting to see someone other than HiSilicon make such a claim. The Mate 20 Pro will launch on October 16th.

The Kirin 980 features 6.9 billion transistors which is exactly the same number Apple has managed to pack on the A12 Bionic. Huawei is claiming that the Kirin 980 is 75% faster than its previous generation as far as the CPU is concerned and 46% faster when it comes to the GPU. Power efficiency is 57% better on the processor and an extremely impressive 178% better on the the GPU. These advancements should make the Kirin 980 faster and a lot more efficient.

Kirin has always been a generation behind snapdragon in performance, and snapdragon at least a generation behind apple in performance... so I'll believe this when I see it.
Yep.. it would have to be some mayor tweaks.

ourhardworkexposedtochinabythesewordsweareregretting(c)AppleComputerInc

Last edited:
are the chinese even allowed to produce a benchmark that says their stuff is anything but miles ahead of american-pig-designed cpu trash? would setting up a test bench in china for some empirical data cause a black helicopter to head over?

Are you suggesting you're not free to be impartial, comrade? Our gentlemen will come help you. Stay where you are.

Don't care, so long as there's competition.

c81.gif

Reactions: atom
like this
Huawei is juicing!
I use a lower end smartphone from them.. it works very well.
I actually had a dialer (well semi smart) from them for years, years ago.. tough little POS.

Kirin has always been a generation behind snapdragon in performance, and snapdragon at least a generation behind apple in performance... so I'll believe this when I see it.

My thoughts exactly.

As Humble Bellows would say:

"My humble eyes will believe it when my humble eyes see it"

43.jpg

It's almost completely standard to expect Chinese goods - not merely those made in China - to perform at a lower standard than advertised.

"we specialized the CPU to detect benchmarks and OC our SoC to near-breaking levels to achieve a benchmark score that is unbelievable!"

Yeah, no.

The Apple A series chips are 6-wide. The Cortex A76 is only 4 wide. Couple that with the fact that Apple has the margins to afford putting copious amounts of cache in their chips and there is no way you are going to even compete with the A series unless you ratchet up the frequency to battery killing levels.

Even if this were true, as iOS is made specifically for that specific hardware, it should be more optimized. Also, Huawei will give you privacy AIDS.

Even if this were true, as iOS is made specifically for that specific hardware, it should be more optimized. Also, Huawei will give you privacy AIDS.

Yeah, I don't need a Chinese spy phone in my pocket.

Huawei/Honor/Hisense/Lenovo/LeEco/Motorola/OnePlus/Oppo/TCL/Xiaomi/ZTE/etc. will ever make it into my pocket.

At least not until China becomes a freedom loving liberal democracy, and stops being run by a single party state.

Yeah, I don't need a Chinese spy phone in my pocket.

Huawei/Honor/Hisense/Lenovo/LeEco/Motorola/OnePlus/Oppo/TCL/Xiaomi/ZTE/etc. will ever make it into my pocket.

At least not until China becomes a freedom loving liberal democracy, and stops being run by a single party state.
Holy cow, it wasn't until you posted that that I realized how many Chinese brands are becoming common. I wonder how many people realize Moto is now Chinese owned.

Holy cow, it wasn't until you posted that that I realized how many Chinese brands are becoming common. I wonder how many people realize Moto is now Chinese owned.

I know.

It's kind of sad for the once proud American company that almost single handed ushered in the mobile era.

Back