Huawei Announces the $2,600 Foldable Mate X Smartphone: It Folds Outwards!

Am I the only one who couldn't care less about these foldable phones? Then again I don't care about phones in general and buy one iPhone every 4-5 years when iOS stops updating. I am still on a 6S Plus and don't feel like I am missing something.....I hate small screens for anything serious though..

Nope, I think its ludicrous. $2k-2.6K for a phone? a gimmick that marginally increases the size? handicap the phone with the potential to have very poor battery life, intensely buggy software and a hinge that will add another high-cost failure mode? who the hell were these made for?

I will say I think Huawei's implementation looks considerably more elegant that Samsung's. Although neither looks enticing to purchase.

I too still have a 6S+, but next year I need to upgrade but will most likely be looking at the X or the XR if I can get them for "general phone costs" other wise we might be getting the 8's. Too bad if that happens, really wanted FaceID.

What is it with all the hate towards Huawei?
It's CHINA!!! If the company existed in any other country we'd have no issues but since they have their corporate headquarters in China the rest of the world has a problem with them. Companies in China are basically extensions of the Communist Party of China in the sense that they're required to do what the "party" wants them to do. The "party" even forces companies to have political officers sitting on boards to make sure that they do what the "party" wants them to do. China is a dictatorship and one you should definitely never trust.

It's so bad in China that if you, as a "private" citizen, don't do what the "party" wants or you disagree with them you're swept off to a "re-education" camp for some good old fashioned brainwashing. I put the word "private" in quotations since in China they know everything you do, and I do mean EVERYTHING!!! It's literally the book titled 1984 by George Orwell put into full use.

$2600 is absurd. unless it has double the processors, double the ram, double the batteries, etc.

And what's "over 100 pieces in the hinge" to sound cool? That just sounds like a 100 different ways for it to break. All of which I probably can't or won't be allowed to repair myself.

I have seen some articles on the subject, but they are very very thin on fact, and very heavy on FUD and "feelings"

Show me one verifiable thing I can try myself if Huawei is spying on the user through their phones. I have access to almost any Huawei phone model and can test to see if they actually harvest, store and send data to their servers.
The US Government has been investigating them since at least 2007. They have violated international laws and sanctions on numerous occasions.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/speech/...-announces-national-security-related-criminal

They've been in trouble with Europe on a few occasions regarding patents, so it isn't just the USA they've crossed. See Huawei v ZTE GmbH Deutchsland

https://www.nortonrosefulbright.com...ial-patent-holders-before-seeking-injunctions

Last edited:
Years from now you'll probably start to see these crack on the fold. Then it'll take them years after to fix the issue

Years from now you'll probably start to see these crack on the fold. Then it'll take them years after to fix the issue
I think the Samsung one would hold out better atm. Too early to tell and I don't want to be the first one in to report about it.

Huwai was just kicked out of the US. I don't think I will be getting one of their devices any time soon.

I think fodable phones are nice... a good replacement or temporary device for Executives that need one.

It is an expensive, hard to protect device. It will have a lot of data capacity, a lot of ram and good performance for a phone. If they don't bake that in they are done before they ever started.

Compared to Samsung's implementation I do like this one better. But the bubble needs to go.

From an aesthetics perspective this looks like an amateur attempt at a next level design that wasn't done well. that plastic screen is GOING To break and fail. Probably right after the manufacturer warranty.

anyone else notice this bubble in the middle?
how rude of you to point that out... not all of us foldables can prevent the camel toe bump ^_^

but yea, it does make it look really cheap, like it's covered in saran

The US Government has been investigating them since at least 2007. They have violated international laws and sanctions on numerous occasions.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/speech/...-announces-national-security-related-criminal

They've been in trouble with Europe on a few occasions regarding patents, so it isn't just the USA they've crossed. See Huawei v ZTE GmbH Deutchsland

https://www.nortonrosefulbright.com...ial-patent-holders-before-seeking-injunctions
First link I only see opinion and "Grand Jury" suggesting a case to go forward to court. Not an actual judgement or proof of wrongdoing.

Second link shows opinionates again that they may have violated EU SEP regulation by not alowing the use of certain patents as stipulated by EU regulation. And all that ruling shows which steps to take BEFORE any sanctions (if any).

This is exactly what I mean. So many hurr durr, they do wrong.... but nothing of actual substance. Just "They China man, must be bad. K!" Feeling != Fact. Investigation != Conviction.

It's CHINA!!! If the company existed in any other country we'd have no issues but since they have their corporate headquarters in China the rest of the world has a problem with them. Companies in China are basically extensions of the Communist Party of China in the sense that they're required to do what the "party" wants them to do. The "party" even forces companies to have political officers sitting on boards to make sure that they do what the "party" wants them to do. China is a dictatorship and one you should definitely never trust.

It's so bad in China that if you, as a "private" citizen, don't do what the "party" wants or you disagree with them you're swept off to a "re-education" camp for some good old fashioned brainwashing. I put the word "private" in quotations since in China they know everything you do, and I do mean EVERYTHING!!! It's literally the book titled 1984 by George Orwell put into full use.
The Chinese government is just more effective in regulating and steering their country than other nations. Break a law and get punished (just like any other country. Hell, the US is much worse in many regards with their police and justice system, not to mention the 3 letter agencies). Follow their rules or stop dealign with them.. Simple no? Sadly "The West" have thrown aside their morals and tried to exploit China for their cheap manufacturing... and now they cry foul because China uses the knowhow, knowledge, experience and money to very rapidly modernize their country? Heh.
Here, take my latest technology and make it for me, but you must pinkyswear that you wont peek inside and make your own. Like any other country or large enough company doesn't do the same every day. Hell, some of the most used tech today are blatant ripoffs (MS operating systems, Apple devices, Japanese watches and cars. Hell even Oreo cookies and Pepsi.)

This is a place where we should talk about the phone as a physical product instead of going into the China issue, since we know for sure that Apple's not involved with foldable display in any meaningful way.

What I care more about is whether or not if we will see the Chinese moving aggressively onto foldable display. I am a bit skeptical at this moment.

Off topic quite a bit, but do you guys actually trust Huawei at this point? I'm ambivalent about them.

Am I the only one who couldn't care less about these foldable phones? Then again I don't care about phones in general and buy one iPhone every 4-5 years when iOS stops updating. I am still on a 6S Plus and don't feel like I am missing something.....I hate small screens for anything serious though..

Yeah the *idea* of foldable phones seems gimmicky... But... I have a hunch that they'll be one of those things like, I dunno - the first time you try VR - that once you actually experience one in person and try it out, you'll immediately want one. Just a hunch.

I wonder if a retractable roll is a better idea for this kind of display. I don't see a real nice use case for this stuff except for VR display like what some of us have already mentioned here.

I have seen some articles on the subject, but they are very very thin on fact, and very heavy on FUD and "feelings"

Show me one verifiable thing I can try myself if Huawei is spying on the user through their phones. I have access to almost any Huawei phone model and can test to see if they actually harvest, store and send data to their servers.
[insert spying for China software here]

Reactions: Auer
like this
The Chinese government is just more effective in regulating and steering their country than other nations.
You talk about that as if it's a good thing, anyone who lives in a western democracy and enjoys even a small amount of freedom would say that that's a VERY bad thing. There is no freedom in China, it's either you do what the "party" wants you to do or... off to the "re-education" camp for you. I for one will not support a regime that puts their people under that kind of control.

You talk about that as if it's a good thing, anyone who lives in a western democracy and enjoys even a small amount of freedom would say that that's a VERY bad thing. There is no freedom in China, it's either you do what the "party" wants you to do or... off to the "re-education" camp for you. I for one will not support a regime that puts their people under that kind of control.
If you think your country is not subjected to a control network you are delusional. The Chinese are just more effective at it, and they make no secret of it either. I'd argue their openness to suppress is more honest than what Western Nations are doing to its populace.

If you think your country is not subjected to a control network you are delusional.
Oh I know this. However there's a huge difference between living in China and living in the US. If you say something bad about the government (which is protected by the First Amendment) in the US you (and your whole family) tend to not be whisked away to some black site never to be heard from again. However if you do the same in China... yeah, try doing that and see how long you last. I'd say maybe an hour until your door is busted down and you're dragged away by people in black combat suits.
The Chinese are just more effective at it
That's something I wouldn't be very proud about.

Oh I know this. However there's a huge difference between living in China and living in the US. If you say something bad about the government (which is protected by the First Amendment) in the US you (and your whole family) tend to not be whisked away to some black site never to be heard from again. However if you do the same in China... yeah, try doing that and see how long you last. I'd say maybe an hour until your door is busted down and you're dragged away by people in black combat suits.
No, you just get suicided with 2 bullets to the back of the head. Or car crashes. Or drug overdoses. Etc. Less apparent, but apparent none the less.

No, you just get suicided with 2 bullets to the back of the head. Or car crashes. Or drug overdoses. Etc. Less apparent, but apparent none the less.
You must be a Chinese government mouthpiece sent here to make your government sound better than the complete dystopian nightmare that it really is. I hope that they're compensating you quite well.

1. I distrust Huwai as a extension of the Chinese government funded stealing of trade secrets more than I distrust the US.

2. https://www.businessinsider.com/ndaa-legalizes-propaganda-2012-5 Yea the American people are being manipulated. Hell the reason we are so pissed at Russia is they did it better than we did then it got out. Notice nobody is reporting on the manipulation of the American people during an election cycle (or otherwise) by American agencies? It's because there is nothing illegal about it.

Why does it have to be huawei? That is actually a nice design and I could get behind that concept over Samsungs.

There’s no notch!

Because when you get your R&D for "free", you can put more reousorces and time into design.

Because when you get your R&D for "free", you can put more reousorces and time into design.

You think that's amazing design. Oh you want to lay this flat and look at it. Nope you can't. You want to prop it up at an angle and look at it. Nope again. You want to do something that just needs a flat surface on the back... nope. Fine look I'll rest it on my in flight tray table here and deal with it having the funky notch. Now I've just removed 80% of the friction-able surface area in order to keep it from sliding around. Yea great design let me tell you. The only place this has a design win is when it's in your hand.

Back