HTT overclocking of X6 with DDR2 ?

Michaelius

Supreme [H]ardness
Does anyone tried overclocking X6 with DDR2 using HTT ?

Can you reach 270-280 fsb ?

I want to make cheap upgrade from Q6600 to X6 for Boinc crunching but if i won't be able to reach 3,6 or more it would be not worth it.

I assume you are talking about the 1055T. Some people can use the 16.5x multiplier from Turbo so you wouldn't need your HT reference clock above 220 MHz to achieve 3.6 GHz.

Hmm how are they using multiplier from turbo on all cores?

they arnt

and yes, you should be able to hit 3.6 GHz on all cores with a 1055T....lots of people have done it, and I imagine more will....I dont remember the thread, there is on on here, that has a link to a different message board where there is a list of over-clocks, all of the 1055T's on there were at 3.6 or above, stable..

just remember when using the HT(FSB) you have to drop the multiplier on the ram as you overclock the processor to keep the ram within spec.. same with the hypertransport multiplier.. most am2+ boards will do 2.5ghz HTT with a voltage increase on the chipset but try to keep it between 2-2.5ghz by lowering the hypertranport multiplier when needed..

Does anyone tried overclocking X6 with DDR2 using HTT ?

Can you reach 270-280 fsb ?

I want to make cheap upgrade from Q6600 to X6 for Boinc crunching but if i won't be able to reach 3,6 or more it would be not worth it.

Running 1055T right now with 251mhz FSB. Only using the first voltage bump option on the HTT voltage too actually.

I have a 1055T overclocked to 4.2Ghz stable on air (300x14). If you go that high just remember to disable the turbo mode or on single threaded apps your 3 cores will shoot up to 4.9Ghz and your system will crash!

I am however running a DDR3 CHIV motherboard, and I know you are wondering about DDR2, but basically what I am saying is that these 1055Ts will go as high as your board and ram can (within reason of course!)

Thanks for all the results.

Hmm i'm wondering about 3 configurations:
1) go with cheap AM2+ mobo like Gigabyte 770 UD3 with 1055T - minimal cost, with 3,5-3,6 Ghz nice crunching power, a bit better in gaming that waht i have now but is dead end when it comes to upgrade.
2) go with nice high end AM3 mobo like Asus 890GX Evo, then anything from 3900 to 4200 seems possible, but apart from expensive mobo , it also enforces swapping DDR2 for DDR3. Nice upgrade, good chance for Bulldozer support, usb3.
3) cheap 1156 mobo, needs ddr3 but i can fit the xeon 3440 - then 3,4-3,6 with HT should be possible

for Boinc 1055t 4,0> xeon 3,4-3,6 >= 1055t 3,6
for games xeon> 1055
then 1055t+890gx has adventage of high end mobo with proper CF support

I just bought that Gigabyte 770 UD3 (v2.1) mobo with a 955BE (C3) to use with the 8GB of 1000MHz DDR2 I have from my old Q6600/IP-35Pro setup. I know it's not a hex core but I would imagine the results would probably be similar with an aftermarket cooler and proper case cooling. I'm putting it together this weekend so I'll be torturing it to see how high the multiplier and bus will go, and of course to see if it'll work with all 8GB of RAM.

Edit: Also, look at it this way. You already have the RAM. You're going to buy the CPU either way. Might as well buy the AM2+ board and reuse your DDR2. By the time Bulldozer is out DDR3 will hopefully be cheaper, or faster. Then you'll have a CPU, mobo, and RAM you can migrate to something else. At the most you'll only be out the $72 for the motherboard and will have gotten probably close to a years use out of it. You also won't be sweating bullets hoping your parts are compatible when you're ready to upgrade.

Last edited:
Back