HTPC w/ XBMC

• Thread starter Deleted member 88227
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 88227

Okay so I have an HTPC (see sig) that I watch content on through a TV. My roommate wants to also be able to watch stuff off my HTPC on his TV, but he doesn't want to buy/build an HTPC to do so. I was thinking a Chromcast would allow him to connect to my HTPC and watch all my media, but after Googling around it seems to be overly complicated.

Is there not an easy solution (wireless) that he can hook/connect to his TV for sub $50 that will allow him to watch the media stored on my HTPC?

Does he have a laptop? Does he have gaming machine?

If he has a laptop then the solution is easy - just setup a share and have him using an HDMI cable.
If he has a gaming machine - 360, PS3, etc then he can use PS3 Media Server or whatever the name is now.

Roku + plex?

The roku can use Plex? So I could setup Plex on the HTPC and serve him the media?

Does he have a laptop? Does he have gaming machine?

No. Yes, but it's in the same location as the HTPC. Not his room where we need the feed.

If he has a laptop then the solution is easy - just setup a share and have him using an HDMI cable.
If he has a gaming machine - 360, PS3, etc then he can use PS3 Media Server or whatever the name is now.

He does have a 360 and a PS3, but I think he more-or-less gave them to his g/f's kids to play.

So now I'm looking at using the Roku + Plex. I assume the ~$45 Roku can do this just fine then? Plex is free on the Roku, right?

its not what i would call the best, but it is doable and inexpensive - use a pi.

The Pi isn't a good option at all. (I have one and use it for this purpose!)

Remember, you still need to provide a USB power source (2A or above ideal), USB WiFi, case, and you might also want a remote (yes, you could use your phone as well). After you add up the parts, you might as well get a Roku or similar device.

What about the Amazon Fire TV? I think its currently $80, but its quite a bit more powerful than the $50 Roku devices.

The roku can use Plex? So I could setup Plex on the HTPC and serve him the media?

No. Yes, but it's in the same location as the HTPC. Not his room where we need the feed.

He does have a 360 and a PS3, but I think he more-or-less gave them to his g/f's kids to play.

So now I'm looking at using the Roku + Plex. I assume the ~$45 Roku can do this just fine then? Plex is free on the Roku, right?

Plex is a free channel on the Roku. Install Plex on the HTPC and set up library (set up your video directories). Connect Roku to network, start Plex, search for content server and there it is. Done.

I have several Roku's in my house connecting to my Plex server.

Plex is a free channel on the Roku. Install Plex on the HTPC and set up library (set up your video directories). Connect Roku to network, start Plex, search for content server and there it is. Done.

You are awesome man. Thanks.

Well I got plex media server installed and setup. Tried to test it on my phone and it requires a paid subscription to use....

edit
I have to pay $4.99 a month, $39.99 a year or $149.99 for a lifetime subscription to use Plex.

Gonna have to say this is not what I am looking for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I got plex media server installed and setup. Tried to test it on my phone and it requires a paid subscription to use....

edit
I have to pay $4.99 a month, $39.99 a year or $149.99 for a lifetime subscription to use Plex.

Sorry I didn't know the price when I suggested it. It does work though so that's something

edit

That particular fee is for a plex pass subscription wich includes some additional features and free access to the Android/IOS app. The server software itself as well as the front end app on the roku channel is free. The app for android and IOS does cost a couple of bucks without the subscription, but it's well worth the price considering the how well the remote streaming functionality works.

The Pi isn't a good option at all. (I have one and use it for this purpose!)

Remember, you still need to provide a USB power source (2A or above ideal), USB WiFi, case, and you might also want a remote (yes, you could use your phone as well). After you add up the parts, you might as well get a Roku or similar device.

i have two for this purpose running openelec and raspbmc- i never said it was a GOOD option, just that it was a VIABLE option. i paid ~$45 each for mine which was the pi, power wifi dongle and 8gb SD card with noobs pre-loaded.

roku cant run xbmc and there are a number of reasons to right there in that simple fact that could rule it out depending on the needs of the user.

a GOOD option is going to cost ~$125-150

Ah I didn't know that it was only for the iOS/Android app and additional features. If it's free on the Roku then I am going to give it a shot.

I'd say install plex on the PC with media on it, add tv/movie folders, put a chromecast on roomates tv, install plex app on roomates phone/tablet ($5?), done. No need for accounts with plex locally, only remotely, and even then no need to pay for a subscription, a free account will let you view your stuff remotely.

can plex use upnp? if yes that would be simpler.

It can, and performance is pretty good. However, for a desktop/laptop Plex Home Theater is the best way to go. Better UI, direct playback, etc. No cost involved for the entire setup. It works really well.

It can, and performance is pretty good. However, for a desktop/laptop Plex Home Theater is the best way to go. Better UI, direct playback, etc. No cost involved for the entire setup. It works really well. If your roommate had a Samsung Smart TV the Plex app works just as good as the roku one. Not sure how the performance on chrome cast would be never tried one.

I think his TV is a Panasonic Plasma TV. I'd have to run up stairs to go see it and that's just too much work for me right now. I told him to get one of those $45 Roku's at Walmart and I'd help him set it up.

I did get PMS installed on the HTPC and I tried it out on my HTC One M8 w/ browser connection. Works pretty damn well if ya ask me. Not sure why I hadn't done this before.

That particular fee is for a plex pass subscription wich includes some additional features and free access to the Android/IOS app. The server software itself as well as the front end app on the roku channel is free. The app for android and IOS does cost a couple of bucks without the subscription, but it's well worth the price considering the how well the remote streaming functionality works.

Server is free.

Plex app for android and Roku is a one time 4.99 fee.

If OP wants to save money he can just buy the android app, backup the app, send it to his friend and share his login.

Otherwise friend will need his own plex account and app. Then OP has to share his library with is friend.

Server is free.

Plex app for android and Roku is a one time 4.99 fee.

If OP wants to save money he can just buy the android app, backup the app, send it to his friend and share his login.

Otherwise friend will need his own plex account and app. Then OP has to share his library with is friend.

Yeah App is one time purchase and it's often free for a limited time.

Got the Roku 3 and the App (Channel) is free for the month then it's a $4.99 fee.

Lots of things can do this. All of my movies are on simple file shares on Windows 7. For my bedroom PC, I currently use a Patriot Box Office that has been flashed with Medi8. WD Live can do it also, although my current preferred (from what I read, no personal experience) would be a Fire TV. That has more to do with utilizing my Amazon Prime videos than it does playing my media.

What matters most is how you have your content stored. I personally store everything in ISO, and I don't have any problems. By "watch stuff on my HTPC" are you talking movies that have been ripped? Or are you talking about DVR'd content? If you used Media Center to record the content, it can only be played on that Server, or by an authorized Extender (which the XBox 360 qualifies).

Back