HTPC Upgrade questions

Occidio

[H]ard|Gawd
I have been running an HTPC for a couple years now. I have a nice setup for my purposes but I have been noticing things like netflix and other things doing some chunking. I found most of the culprits by looking through the performance logs. Things like my WinTV, my media remote, Media browser and some widgets causing slow downs. I have temporarily scrapped most of those but I feel I shouldn't have too.
System as it stands is and AMD x2 4800 with 4gig of memory running Win7 64bit. I was not satisfied with the integrated video so I was running a separate video card. That died last night because it was too close to the Hauppage card and it killed the fan. I have to have a GTS250 installed right now since it was my only extra card. I had to take out the tuner due to the pci-e slots being right next to each other. So on goes to an upgrade.
Oh and almost forgot, I have also lost 3 out of the 5 ports of the integrated sound card also, so presently I am not running 5.1 audio...

I want something with low heat and low amount of cards. I have been curious about going with a Llano. I wanted something subtle and cost efficient due to wife always complaining about spending money on computer stuff. :rolleyes:

The list so far, AMD A8-3850 Llano 2.9GHz | GIGABYTE GA-A75M-D2H FM1 AMD A75 | CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB
That roughly comes out to $260 (before shipping and taxes of course)

My really big question is How well does the new AMD APU really hold up with showing HD video and audio? I have seen a couple web pages showing good results but I would like to hear from possibly someone that has a A75 system and how things are going for them.

This will be running Win7 64bit going to 1920x1080. The system also includes Blu-Ray. I do not necessarily need advice on the specific parts I have listed above, unless you know something out of the ordinary, mostly just want to hear input on the APU side of things when it comes to HTPC and Media.

Last edited:
I built the same HTPC system but with a a6-3650 instead last week. I haven't had any problems with anything video playback related or equipment problems with the board or cpu. I haven't tried any games on it but thats not why I built it.

Yeah, I have a gaming rig for all of my other stuff also. This is specifically just for watching media in the family room. Thanks for the input!

I was considering a build like this as a starting point. I recently bought a HDHR tuner. Could this be a system that does all the recording / extender work for 3 tuners while pushing HD video to a TV? It seems like anything more powerful CPU-wise, the price starts to climb quickly.

Last edited:
IMO, any modern day pc (i3, A6, A8) is going to be fine with HTPC duty as you learned with your X2.

All the HTPC oriented reviews on i3 vs llano are really heavily based on video playback with post processing. I dont use any post processing on my playback, so that means the only thing left is image quality.

Back