HTPC, price check

dekard

2[H]4U
What would you think this is worth?

I priced similiar hardware on Newegg and that came out to around $350 before I got a copy of XP Pro...

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I looks like a barebones computer--they(/he/she) don't even install/configure the PVR software! Building a similar machine off newegg (but S754, onboard DVI and included component outputs, etc) got me to $462 (including XP Pro but not the remote). Components:

Sempron 2800 S754
Jetway S754 MB w/ onboard dvi, component out on bracket
512MB PC3200 DDR
120GB HD
Antec Minuet (that's the most expensive part by far)
DVD reader
XP Pro

I'm cheap, so I'd try to save money on the case, and use something other than XP Pro (knoppmyth, maybe?). Speaking of which, there doesn't seem to be a TV Tuner in that machine, either....

Mohonri said:
I looks like a barebones computer--they(/he/she) don't even install/configure the PVR software! Building a similar machine off newegg (but S754, onboard DVI and included component outputs, etc) got me to $462 (including XP Pro but not the remote). Components:

Sempron 2800 S754
Jetway S754 MB w/ onboard dvi, component out on bracket
512MB PC3200 DDR
120GB HD
Antec Minuet (that's the most expensive part by far)
DVD reader
XP Pro

I'm cheap, so I'd try to save money on the case, and use something other than XP Pro (knoppmyth, maybe?). Speaking of which, there doesn't seem to be a TV Tuner in that machine, either....

Hrmm, so no pvr software would reduce the value... couldn't I just put on the Yahoo PVR app or something like that for free?

righto... no tuner either... for a streaming media box, dvd or mame it would be fine just as it is... i wonder a half height tuner could be installed in it... doesn't hauppauge make a half height pvr-150?

dekard said:
righto... no tuner either... for a streaming media box, dvd or mame it would be fine just as it is... i wonder a half height tuner could be installed in it... doesn't hauppauge make a half height pvr-150?
That's correct--they have a low-profile PVR-150. You can also find low-profile ATi 550 cards.

i'd say it's worth about 200-280. Cost is not the same thing as worth. For example if you wanted to buy DDR333 it would be pretty expensive for memory that's so long been obsolete. Same thing goes for a lot of those parts on there. PCchips is a horrible brand, Socket A is a dead socket, dvd drive is maybe 10 bucks and the FX5200 is worth maybe 20-25. The case and the operating system are the only big expenses. If you are considering getting this or building an HTPC I would seriously consider taking a look at the for sale forums. The pricey things are going to be media center edition and the case/psu.

Back