HTPC not using subwoofer?

insane111

Limp Gawd
This is how I have things connected

Video card HDMI > Denon 1612 receiver > 5 passive speakers + powered subwoofer

The speakers work and play audio perfectly fine, but nothing from the subwoofer. However, when I'm in speaker config shown here:

asdfpr.jpg

I can hear the test tone coming from the subwoofer, so it does work and it is hooked up properly. But when I try to play movies or music, the subwoofer is 100% mute. I use media player classic and winamp if that matters.

I checked in the receiver options as well and the subwoofer is enabled, so I'm stumped here.

you need to change the setting that controls LFE on your receiver. It looks like you have the sub turned off for that channel..

Typical menu will say something like

USE SUB:YES
LFE EFFECTS: YES
BASS = MAIN SPEAKERS or SUB or BOTH
and last but not least

SPEAKERS = SMALL
and
SUB = LFE + MAIN

Thanks! Changing the setting from "LFE" to "LFE+Main" was all I had to do. All better now

Hmm I spoke too soon about *all* of the speakers working, I just assumed they would since front left/right were fine. After hooking up the center and surround channels - the test tones are working fine, but test tones are the only thing that work for those channels.

Basically I'm only getting 2.1 when playing audio. I have the center and surrounds enabled and set to "small" in the receiver settings, and I have it set to 5.1 in the windows settings so is there another setting I'm missing here?

EDIT: Maybe its something with my application settings, 5.1 is working when I play youtube videos. MPC and Winamp is still a no-go, I made sure the correct output is selected.

Last edited:
For Media Player Classic I see the problem, I'm just trying to find the settings to change the output to match the input. This is what FFDshow is saying

Input: AC3, 5.1, 48000 Hz
Output: PCM, stereo, 48000 Hz

edit: ah enabling dolby passthrough in the ffdshow options fixed it, yay. Now onto winamp :D

Last edited:
Hmm I spoke too soon about *all* of the speakers working, I just assumed they would since front left/right were fine. After hooking up the center and surround channels - the test tones are working fine, but test tones are the only thing that work for those channels.

Basically I'm only getting 2.1 when playing audio. I have the center and surrounds enabled and set to "small" in the receiver settings, and I have it set to 5.1 in the windows settings so is there another setting I'm missing here?

EDIT: Maybe its something with my application settings, 5.1 is working when I play youtube videos. MPC and Winamp is still a no-go, I made sure the correct output is selected.

tell the receiver to use 5.1 enchancement for 2 channel source material. The receiver will simulate 5.1 for any material that is not 5.1

Well Winamp is for playing music. Music is 2.0 channels so by default it will only use your Front Left and Front Right.

You have to tell your receiver you want to use the subwoofer and for what frequencies you want to use it for. You also have to tell it that you want to use the Center and Surround Left and Surround Right if you want to do that also for a 2.0 channel signal.

To tell it to use your subwoofer you need to set your speakers to "Small mode" and set a LFE crossover frequency where you want the lower frequencies to be played back on the subwoofer.

To tell your center and surrounds to play during 2.0 channel source you will have to use one of the 3 settings. Dolby Pro Logic II, DTS: Neo 6, or multi-channel stereo.

^if your receiver allows you to set them they are typically between 80 and 120hz most receivers that do not allow you to set them default to somewhere between 80--100hz depending upon how the manufacturer set it up

Hahah..unbelievable. Found this forum yesterday, and this thread solved a problem I've been suffering with for months.

Back