HTPC - no more?

staknhalo

2[H]4U
So madVR on an HTPC beats a ShieldTV using KODI to stream to my TV from my NAS which holds my BR/UHD disc remux rips? No re-encoding done or transcoding done by me. Just raw media from NAS to ShieldTV to Denon to TV.

no, from my understanding (never using it but always being around people who have)

it's for local machine playback only with the upscaling/other processing on playback that madVR provides, it's for playing on an HTPC from an HTPC

I suppose with Windows networking it could be streamed from a NAS, but I dunno how that would affect processing/'the whole point' of madVR - and it needs a GPU for processing IIRC (no clue there how beefy of one)

correct me if that's wrong anyone

Meeho

Supreme [H]ardness
So madVR on an HTPC beats a ShieldTV using KODI to stream to my TV from my NAS which holds my BR/UHD disc remux rips? No re-encoding done or transcoding done by me. Just raw media from NAS to ShieldTV to Denon to TV.
Yes. Less so, but yes.

grifter_66

[H]ard|Gawd

No, it's for the highest audio and video quality possible on my local machine. When I want perfect Blu-Ray quality I use MPC-HC with madVR locally. When I'm watching something in another room, mostly TV shows that don't come close to that quality natively I use PLEX.

aliaskary77

Limp Gawd
I may set up madVR/MPC-HC again as an external player for kodi, but not as default, maybe as context menu option only for myself, for certain movies. Don't want to deal with complaints from kids and wife when I am not there :p

MrGuvernment

Fully [H]
That's a bit hyperbolic don't you think? I'm sure a 4 core Ryzen 3 mobile CPU with integrated Radeon graphics in a mini PC could handle that as well at around the same power draw, and at least with a PC you have complete control of the software stack. The CPU isn't really what matters as much as the decoder. I'm certain AMD's latest decode hardware is as good or better than the aging decoders in the Shield devices. That being said, I have a Shield in the living room as well, but the addition of ads that scare my child (The Black Mask specifically) on its home screen have us looking into other options. Which sucks, because I've had this Shield since 2015, and it has been fantastic until the addition of ads. For us, we'll probably be switching to an AppleTV in the living room, but I will always have a PC driving my home theater projector.
I was just replying to the person who claimed a shield was useless, which it is not in any sense. I agree, ad's suck, def, but for 99% of people, a shield is quick, easy, and will provide the same quality as an full HTPC for the majority of codecs and audio formats people use today for a fraction of space used and cost (unless you find a deal on ebay or get some parts on sale), even with it's older decoder. I was an HTPC guy for many years, but it just got old and tiring having another system to maintain and deal with.

staknhalo said:
A nuclear reactor is more powerful than the Shield, but just as useless as an HTPC in terms of app support

HTPC died when Hulu desktop was killed, those were the days

jlbenedict

[H]ard|Gawd
To summarize: client / server streaming model is now the choice.

Even though only ~10 years or so ago... WD TV Live boxes, or comparable were the rage .. crazy how fast those type of boxes disappeared

bluestang

Gawd
To summarize: client / server streaming model is now the choice.

Even though only ~10 years or so ago... WD TV Live boxes, or comparable were the rage .. crazy how fast those type of boxes disappeared
I still got 1 or 2 of those sitting around in packed back away in their boxes.

Icy006

Limp Gawd
I kinda miss WMC. We really got a lot of great years out of a media center PC. Gotta say though, I like centering things on a Synology now running Plex. It just works.

Using roku ultras, and they work well enough, but kinda annoyed at being advertised at on the home screen. Ick.