ryanjg11

Gawd
Current HTPC Setup:
  • Media App: Windows Media Center
  • Tuner: Hauppauge WinTV DCR-2650 Dual Tuner CableCard TV Tuner
  • Case: Silverstone Tek GD05B MicroATX HTPC Case
  • CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 B50 (garbage)
  • Motherboard: Biostar A880G+ Socket AM3
  • Video: Using integrated ATI Radeon HD 4250 built into motherboard (also garbage)
  • Television: Pioneer Kuro 50" Plasma

Outputting to an older Denon receiver (both video and audio over HDMI from the HTPC).

This setup has been just good enough, but I have noticed the system really lags when recording through MCE in the background. Also, it overheats during re-encoding (I've started using MCEBuddy to remove commercials, but it reboots every 15 minutes).

The HTPC is located in a entertainment/media console, with an open-back design for better ventilation. I understand this isn't an ideal situation, but I would like a new, more efficient setup that doesn't put out as much heat, but has plenty of processing horsepower for re-encodes in the background while watching TV.

The only components I'm attached to in the new setup are the case. I do like the SilverStone GD05B. I would be willing to consider a water cooler such as the Corsair H100i or similar. I think I would also like a dedicated graphics card.

Any recommendations? How about...

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 3.5GHz LGA 1150
CPU Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro Series H50 120mm Quiet Edition Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock H97M Pro4 LGA 1150 Intel H97 HDMI MicroATX Motherboard

Won't be playing games, nor be overclocked, so not sure whether a video card like a GeForce GTX 750 Ti would be beneficial? Or would that cause more issues than it's worth with HDMI audio/video output to the plasma?

Thanks!

Video card is unnecessary if you aren't gaming.

New cou is light years better, make sure your disks aren't lagging everything.

An i5 would be overkill for a HTPC if you are not gaming. Go with the cheaper option, i3 or Celeron.

To give you an idea, I've got a Celeron G540; it allows me to record 3 shows from a HDHomerun Prime while watching a previously recorded show.

An i5 would be overkill for a HTPC if you are not gaming. Go with the cheaper option, i3 or Celeron.

To give you an idea, I've got a Celeron G540; it allows me to record 3 shows from a HDHomerun Prime while watching a previously recorded show.

This, if you're not using something like Plex to do real-time transcodes in the background you don't need much for a HTPC. I had a rock bottom dual core AMD FM1 that served me for a long time. Handled Blu-Ray playback on the odd occasion that I needed it to. Only got retired because something goofy was going on with the hardware or something. (would not accept video codecs under 8.1 after a reformat)

The i5 is overkill, and discreet graphics are no longer needed in the HTPC. i3 does just fine without wasting extra bucks or electrons.

The i5 could be useful for PLEX when sending 1080 video or if you ever install any 24/7 software for security camera's, running servers, etc.

Back