HTPC/Gaming mITX Case Suggestions

Ducman69

[H]F Junkie
I'm considering a case upgrade for the following rig, and my goal is to be as small as possible while fitting these components for under $200:

1) Asus Z97I-Plus MITX + 4790K OC'ed
2) Cooler Master Glacer 240L (240mm radiator)
3) Saphire 290X Tri-X OC (12" LONG)
4) SSD
5) Corsair TX850 PSU (160mm, non-modular)

No need for optical drives or 3.5" drives. I considered an NCase, but its too expensive for me and not immediately available to ship.

The big problem (literally) I'm having is finding a small one that fits a 240mm radiator.

I was considering the BitFenix Prodigy, but its actually kinda big (250 x 400 x 360)...

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks man, I love that Hadron Hydro, if I were doing a new build!

Unfortunately, it doesn't support a massive 12" long card like mine, and the Inwin 901 I don't think will even take a 240mm radiator.

I like my little Azza Z case, which fits everything just fine, with a 340mm x110mm x440mm size (very long, but very slim), but I've just noticed after gaming for a while that I have glitches even though heat is a non-issue and I think its the PCIe x16 riser cable that it uses... after I just commented that its fine the other day, lol!

The Cougar QBX lists support for a 240mm rad and a 12" card but not a 160mm PSU. Your specs are pushing the bounds of mini-ITX, if you're looking at the Prodigy you might as well check out some Micro-ATX options as there will be more to consider in that space.

The Cougar QBX lists support for a 240mm rad and a 12" card but not a 160mm PSU. Your specs are pushing the bounds of mini-ITX, if you're looking at the Prodigy you might as well check out some Micro-ATX options as there will be more to consider in that space.
Actually, that Cougar may fit the bill, if all I need to buy is a new PSU. The only crappy thing is that I would have a 240mm radiator, but it says you can only mount one 120mm fan on the radiator... oh well, still I think you picked a winner, thanks!

I'm looking at picking up the Cooler master V750 @ $115 and only 140mm long. There aren't a crapton of powerful tiny PSUs, and 750watt should be enough for a 4790K overclocked and 290x overclocked. Hell, I might even be able to get away with a 650watt, but probably best not to risk it.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
check out the LIan Li PC-Q10, beautiful case that can fit this I believe.
Well, actually the Q10 can only fit a 270mm GPU, and can only accommodate a 150mm PSU, and if you want a 240mm radiator you have to stick it on the outside top of the case I believe, which looks sort of silly to me.

Last edited:
Thanks Ray, some of those I don't think are on the market yet unfortunately, but the Fractal Design Core 500 is, and is only $70 shipped, which is not bad at all especially since I can reuse my PSU! WOOOO!!!
Well, actually the Q10 can only fit a 270mm GPU, and can only accommodate a 150mm PSU, and if you want a 240mm radiator you have to stick it on the outside top of the case I believe, which looks sort of silly to me.
Yeah, I didn't get that external radiator stuff, unless it really improves efficiency. Its like, yeah, you have a small internal volume, but you just increased dimensions considerably.

Thanks again everyone, I'll post a build when I get it in 5-7 days. This looks like the smallest volume option that can fit all those components! :)

fractal-design-core-500-1-500x436.jpg

Last edited:
Back